close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

N.O. police officer suspended for online comments about Trayvon shooting

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by TBO, Mar 28, 2012.

1. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

2. CAcop

CAcop

Jul 21, 2002
    California
    You know better than that. Police officers don't have first amendment rights.

3. John Rambo

John Rambo Raven

Feb 15, 2010
    Tampa, Fl.
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  4. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

The private sector isn't what the 1st Amendment is about.

5. Gundude

Gundude

Mar 7, 2003
    Nope, just employment contract:

6. John Rambo

John Rambo Raven

Feb 15, 2010
    Tampa, Fl.
    Public sector employees don't get to say whatever they want and be protected from getting fired for their poor conduct by the 1st amendment. Thats not what the 1st amendment is about, either. Barring other things like unions or contracts, if your employer wants to fire you, they get to fire you. If thats because you were an idiot, then you deserve it.

7. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

Apr 30, 2005
    Not government employees since they work for the Govt. They must be afforded Due process before termination. The Govt.cannot just fire at will.

8. John Rambo

John Rambo Raven

Feb 15, 2010
    Tampa, Fl.
    I don't support that. But its their employment contract, their call. I live in a right-to-work state and it works out pretty well for us.

Regardless, he hasn't been fired yet. Just suspended. Due process or not, don't run to the 1st amendment for cover when you open up with stupid **** that makes your employer look bad. You deserve to get a swift kick out the back door for that.

9. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

What is this "contract" that you speak of?

10. snerd

snerd

Apr 20, 2007
    What is the ultimate irony? The Hutaree Militia just had their First Amendment right upheld after they expressed their hatred for LE. I know that's gotta sting a little.

11. Gundude

Gundude

Mar 7, 2003
    The one that states that you abide by the policies of the department you work for as a condition of your employment.

12. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

Apr 30, 2005
    umm no it is not first and foremost a matter of contract it is a matter of the Constitution. Unless the officer is on probationary status he has a property interest in his job and the Govt. cannot deprive him of it without due process.

A lot will revolve around whether or not he identified himself as a police officer and identified his dept.. If he did both he is pretty much toast if the Dept. can sustain a claim that his statements caused a lack of public confidence in the Dept. and or caused irreparable breech of trust and the ability of him being able to work in the Dept.

*** Just read the link apparently he did identify himself as an employee of the NO PD.

13. John Rambo

John Rambo Raven

Feb 15, 2010
    Tampa, Fl.
    Sounds like a crock of crap used to give the people who earn a living on my tax dollars yet more preferential treatment. The guy got disciplined at work and might get fired. The 1st amendment doesn't protect about that - I don't care who your employer is.

Yep, hes toast.

14. Gundude

Gundude

Mar 7, 2003
    I think a public demonstration of an officer going out of his way to denigrate a dead black kid without knowing any of the facts is pretty likely to cause both a lack of public confidence and an irreparable breech of trust.

15. EmbryRiddle

EmbryRiddle

Jul 20, 2010
    Atlanta
    now they will probably go back to see if he had any OIS involving black teens.....

people in certain career fields need to stay off of social networks if they don't know how to use common sense

16. itstime

itstime

Apr 9, 2006
    USA
    Bat me to it. Just had An employee terminated because of Facebook. Common sense needs to be applied.

17. Sporaticus

Sporaticus Aw sheet main

Feb 28, 2003
    Finally made 1000 posts
    Hopefully the union will get him back on with back pay. Do any of the LEO here actually think this will stick?

You cannot argue with the sentiment though. (what he posted online)

18. ericridebike

ericridebike

Dec 18, 2010
    AZ
    Just another example of why you need to delete details of your employment from your Facebook.

19. QNman

QNman resU deretsigeR Silver Member

Oct 5, 2005
    St. Louis, MO