close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

N. Dakota Oil jobs

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Flattop67, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Flattop67

Flattop67

Aug 18, 2009
    Way to the Right
    I am just wondering what ya'll think about an 18yo boy, who has never had a job, who can only wear "Polo" brand name shirts and who cannot complete even the simplest of tasks heading up to N. Dakota to woek in the oils fields for the summer? He has no skills and no sense. He and his buddy think they are just going to roll on up there and make some serious cash. Part of me wants to just let him go and wish him well, maybe he will learn some responsibility and become a man. The other part of me wants to warn him of the brutally hard work, spartan living conditions and cost of living he will face. I personally don't think he will be able to handle it, and then his mother and I will have to bail him out.
    What do you all think? Would you let your 18yo son (stepson)?

2. G36's Rule

G36's Rule Senior Member

Dec 1, 2001
    Spring, TX.
    Let him try. Might make him a better person.

3. I don't think he's going to make it. That kid has no idea what he's facing. The guys that I know working there are all seasoned mechanics and hard workers. They love the pay, but hate everything else about it. Long hours, bad living conditions, skyrocketing crime, and it's about the most expensive place to live in the US right now. It would take a lot more than the pay to get me over there.

4. How does he feel about working outside when the wind chill is -40? Oilfield work is physically demanding. Does he like to flex? Finally, oilfield work can be dangerous. He needs to think for himself. If something looks dangerous to him, it probably is. It may be dangerous even if it looks safe. You need to think and learn fast. Your first mistake can be your last.

Having said all of that, I enjoyed working on drilling rigs more than anything I have ever done. The potential for disaster is always there. I enjoyed trying to figure out what was coming next and stay ahead of it. As a single man it was great. I saw a lot of the U.S. and worked in Trinidad as well. It's not so good with children because you if you work on land, you move around a lot. If you work offshore, you're gone a lot.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  5. OGW

OGW NRA, SAF

Aug 23, 2004
    N.W. Lower Michigan
    Let him go and let him bail himself out. See my sig line.

6. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

May 16, 2005
    Where the buffalo roam
    I see this all the time around here (southern Montana/norther Wyoming). Some boys even drop out of school to work the patch. They make six digits, buy every camper, RV, truck, gun, ATV in sight, lose a hand pushing tools and are crippled and broke by twenty-one. And a drop-out. HH

7. BuckeyePPC

BuckeyePPC

Jun 26, 2001
    SE AZ
    I heard on the news that McDonalds up there was paying $18 an hour with a signing fee. It might be enough for the 2 of them to live on.

8. BobbyS

BobbyS Truth always sounds like lies to a sinner

Feb 14, 2010
    Boonies New Mexico
    Meh............going there and growing up, may be better than growing up in a foreign country carrying a rifle.

9. Goaltender66

Goaltender66 NRA GoldenEagle

I think he'd be better off going ice trucking.

10. If he's 18 you can't really stop him. You dont have to help him or bail him out thou.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

11. RichJ

RichJ

Jan 26, 2009
    At the very least the kid has the motivation to get up there and work. He'll find out real quick what hard work is and whether he wants to endure it. He can make some good money or he can come back home; his choice. Either way it will be a smack up side the head for him as a lesson in life.

12. It's chaos up there. McDonalds in Williston pays 18 bucks an hour because you can't find a place to live. You are lucky if you bring your own camper and you find any patch of dirt in a field among a million other campers to park it. There is no place for rent.

Truck drivers will pay ten bucks and stand in line for 2 hours to have a crappy, short shower.

It is not a place for a young kid who has not already had some life lessons and knows about getting his hands really dirty.

13. Steel Head

Steel Head Tactical Cat

Jan 1, 2010
    A cat box in WA
    This is my thinking.

14. tongix

tongix

Oct 10, 2009
    Let him go, it be rough for him without a doubt but with good advise he should be fine. Remember the ones hired in the oil industry are pretty much roughnecks. Its dangerous job. If its just flipping burger, its a different story but it has its own dangers.

15. Jeff82

Jeff82 NRA Benefactor CLM

Feb 25, 2002
    USofA!
    Did he ask your opinion? Tell him to be a man and kick him out the door. What he does (including looking for advice from elders) is up to him.

16. Flattop67

Flattop67

Aug 18, 2009
    Way to the Right
    Thanks for the inputs. I have done some reading on the subject online. I am going to direct him to those sites and let him choose. I personally don't think he can hack it due to his lack of work ethic and "sticktoitiveness" However, it may be just what he needs, to strike out on his own and cut the apron strings.

17. Angry Fist

Angry Fist Dehumanizer® Lifetime Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Hellbilly Hill
    The kid has more balls than most anyone that will post here. Coming home from the first gig paid proves that.

18. G36's Rule

G36's Rule Senior Member

Dec 1, 2001
    Spring, TX.
    Huh???

19. pesticidal

pesticidal Eh? CLM

Jun 5, 2002
    North Dakota
    This.

20. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

May 16, 2005
    Where the buffalo roam
    I'm more concerned that an eighteen year old without a job only wears Polo. Somewhere, parents screwed up... HH