My Thoughts on Glock vs M&P after M&P Armorer's Course

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by PVQ, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Lockback

Lockback Polymerlicious!

I've had the itch for a Shield for awhile and a close buddy let me shoot his last weekend.
    To say I was impressed would be an understatement.
    Recoil management, trigger pull, fit and finish ... all impressed me mightily.
    My one small niggle with Smiths has always been their insistence in using those damned roll pins. :steamed:
    But, wow, a really nice gun.
    The Glock is much easier to field strip and detail strip. But aside from that relatively minor complaint, I was blown away by how good the Shield is, particularly at their price point ($379 at one LGS!)

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. I think that S&W has been a bit surprised by the popularity of the Shield based on the tiem it takes to get one. Either that or they have had some very big orders for other pistols.

3. ???

My M&P 9 Pro Series 4.25" shoots to point of aim just fine. Excellent gun with great practical accuracy.

4. As a Glock & MP owner. I find both weapon systems to be great!

5. The M&P accuracy issue is widely known in the gun industry and many left the platform due to his. It is not the same with every pistol and S&W has been aware of it for years. S&W came out with a different barrel which helped with some pistols but not all. Several barrel makers as well as Apex are trying to address the issue.
    Some of the pistols shoot shotgun type groups at 25 yards and the same shooters can shoot 3" groups with other polymer pistols. Some will group with 147gr. but will not group with 115gr. or 124gr.
    S&W has replaced quite a few barrels in these scatter guns.
    The Pro series are not exempt from the scatter gun syndrome.

6. I have an older 9mm M&P FS. I have had no accuracy issues with it. I did see a newer version that was a shotgun pattern shooter and that was apparent at 25 feet rather than 25 yards. The difference I saw between the two is on my gun when pressing back on the barrel slide assembly, the assembly would stay locked for a time before it unlocked. On the shotgun version, the slide would unlock the instant the slide moved rearward. The owner sent it back to S&W but I haven't heard what the results were. If I were buying another M&P, that would be one thing I would check for sure before I bought it.

7. I don't own one (other than my Shield), but have heard many reports of inconsistent accuracy.

My Shield shoots fine.

8. Me, too.

9. Interesting. I have not heard of what you have posted about this issue. I have four centerfire M&P pistols and one rimfire; the great M&P 22. All are accurate and shoot to point of aim. I can consistently shoot tight groups at defensive distances with my M&P 9 Pro. Guess I just got lucky.

10. eaglefrq

eaglefrq NRA Member

Not to derail the thread, but can the roll pins be swapped out with a standard pin?

11. Shoot a 10 shot group at 25 yards from a rest and post the results. The combat accuracy of the polymer pistols should be less than 4" at 25 yards with factory ammunition for a 10 shot group.

12. Lockback

Lockback Polymerlicious!

I honestly don't know.
    I've never seen any offered.
    I used to own several of the old S&W autos (a 4567 .45 and a 3913 9mm, among others) and they always seem to have used roll pins. They're fine, unless you need to detail strip the gun.

13. I do not have a full size m&p ...But love my 9c and g23...I think if I could only keep one though it would be the glock.
    [​IMG]

14. All things considered, it's a great time to be a gun owner. :supergrin:

There is a guy on youtube whose opinions I greatly respect, reviewed the M&P as well as the Glock. Both guns are some of the best options out on the market.

The M&P
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAgRihaXDh4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAgRihaXDh4[/ame]

The Glock
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfnEwMPe4QU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfnEwMPe4QU[/ame]

#35 Glocks n' Crocs, Oct 17, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  15. I've got 10 Glocks and 4 S&W M&P's and the more I play with the M&P's the more I like them.

16. I Was just the opposite, the more I play with the M&P's the more I liked my Glocks.

17. I love my glocks! But I do enjoy the m&p pistols.

18. SCmasterblaster

Millennium Member

Agreed. I also await the introduction of a single-stack 9mm Glock.