close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

My son the marine gets caught with a KaBar in his dorm room

Discussion in 'The Cutting Edge' started by jer9vs2324, Nov 30, 2007.

1. jer9vs2324

jer9vs2324

Aug 30, 2005
    Findlay, OH
    Maybe I'm doing a little venting. Mt son is in the marine reserves, did a tour of duty in Iraq and just got back to the states last spring. He enrolled at Bowling Green State University in Ohio. He had a little display in his dorm room of Iraq memorabilia (including his KaBar). The school asks the students to sign a document giving permission to the school to inspect rooms during Thanskgiving break to inspect the rooms for things like fire safety, etc. (sure). Anyway, they got in my son's room during Thanksgiving break, saw his KaBar, called the police to search his room and they confiscated his KaBar and Leatherman multi tool. He now has to appeard before the school disciplinary board for his "offense". The worse that could happen is him getting kicked out of school, the best would be a "warning". Somewhere in the middle is being put on probation which would kill his chance of being Resident Advisor (which he applied for to help with housing expenses). Fortunately his floor RA is standing by him and is testifying that my son is one of the best residences he has. Yeah I know he was careless in having a KaBar in his room and letting the school have access to his room during Thanksgiving. I'm just a little ticked at the heavy hand being demonstrated by the school.

2. deadday

deadday

Aug 14, 2007
    Texas
    Posting in 3 different rooms is 'a little venting'?

drew

3. D4RWlN

D4RWlN

Nov 5, 2005
    Southeastern, AL
    I was an active duty marine not long a go and I'm here to tell you that you can't even have a KBar in the barracks. They usually get over looked because c'mon Marine + KBar = Tradition, but it is against regs and have seen the confiscated. Anyways, my point is the word is full of stupid a-- rules. But yeeah, Leaving a Kbar out on display somewhere that its against the regs is not bright. Many of us had plaques with Kbars given to us by our units/ plattoons and still couldn't have them displayed with the Kbar in it. Regardless, I hope he gets off.

4. deadday

deadday

Aug 14, 2007
    Texas
    Want to hear assinine? I had a plaque from my last unit with a small (maybe 5-6" no way to remove it from the plaque without ruining the plaque, and probably breaking the tomahawk) tomahawk over the Cav flag, etc. etc. Given to me by the CO, removed from my barracks by the Plt. Sgt.

drew

5. THELimey

THELimey Ancient Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Washington
    Its BS we can all agree but "Situational Awareness" applies. When i was in the service there was a great many asanine rules. The civilian world has much the same per capita quota.

6. humanguerrilla

humanguerrilla

Jul 25, 2006
    the woods
    KA-BAR and leatherman...that's pretty silly and I bet chefs knives aren't an issue. I ran cross country and lived in athletes apartments in college. I roomed with baseball guys and the dumbass RAs made a big thing about bats and dumbbells before athletics and the dean of students put them in their place.

7. johns9761

johns9761 New Glock Fan!!

Aug 2, 2009
    Western PA
    I had my Ka-Bar taken from me when I lived in the barracks in Ft. Benning. It was supposedly locked up in the supply room. When I went home for a 4 day, I requested to have it returned to me so I could take it home for safe keeping...

...wouldn't ya' know...the damn thing mysteriously came up "missing".

Damn the world and it's dumb ass rules!

8. Javelin

Javelin Got Glock? Silver Member

Feb 9, 2008
    N. Dallas
    A 13" chrome steel metric wrench would make a better weapon IMO and I bet they are not banned.

9. Notrega

Notrega

Sep 8, 2005
    Tagged to get the ending - I remember this when it first came through

10. Max1775

Max1775 Marine Infidel

Oct 1, 2009
    Helotes, Texas
    Sad it has come down to people being afraid of college kids with knives when the world is full of extremists with arsenals... On the other side of the coin, you still gotta play by the rules if you want to stay on their field.

11. John NYPD

John NYPD NRA Life Member Millennium Member

Jun 28, 1999
    Long Island NY
    Next time he will hide his knife as good as he hid his M9.:cool:

Lesson learned...Wear it as a badge of Honor.

Thank your son for his service to our Country.

John

Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
  12. walkin' trails

walkin' trails

Apr 24, 2005
    I agree! A U.S. Vet who served honorably should not have his chances to pursue higher education and career trashed because of something so stupid on the part of school administration. As long as he was striving to meet or exceed the honor and academic standards of the university, he should not be in that situation.

Although it would be amusing if a long-lense camera got trained on the seedy park where school administrators meet after hours....I'd suggest that he find some other vets who have little use for the junior hi no tolerance garbage of student residence halls and get an apartment or rent a house near campus. Even better, have any returning vets going after their educations ever thought about creating a veterens-only residence hall facility?

13. myesque

myesque

Dec 4, 2009
    West, TN
    BGSU sucks.... Just fyi.

My wife went there and everyone of the admins has a sock over their brains. :faint:

14. lbckid19

lbckid19

Feb 1, 2010
    Los Angeles
    rules are rules, he brought a deadly weapon on campus, However I bet he had no intent on using it and i hope the school shows leiniency. You just dont know whos gunna do what these days. It is the job of the administration to remain sceptical and enforce policy equally, no exceptions

15. 25pd

25pd

Mar 8, 2007
    pa
    Semper fi !!!!!!!!!! & good luck in school after you win your case and don't
    forget to get the k-bar back into your possessiopn...

16. wrenrj1

wrenrj1

May 22, 2002
    Huskerville
    Tell em it was mine...I'm a retired ARNG guy, come after me, I'll support my swabbys with funny hats, and the guts to use the KaBar the way it was intended.

17. snair

snair

Nov 20, 2009
    Salt Lake
    :chatter:

18. Brian Lee

Brian Lee Drop those nuts

Jul 28, 2008
    Up a tree.
    I remember the days when a middle school teacher would borrow a pocket knife from a 12 year old student - in class - and then give it right back without anyone batting an eye. And then I read threads like this, and I mourn my countries total loss of common sense.

A marine can be trusted with guns and grenades through all kinds of difficult duties when fighting for our country, but at home, he isn't trusted with a knife. The liberal fruit cake who invented that concept should be ashamed.

:faint:

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  19. Summit

Summit

Jan 16, 2010
    +1 on the chef knife