My shiny boots finally paid off

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by collim1, Nov 3, 2012.

1. We had a guy with boots so green he looked like the Green Lantern. One of the other guys spit shined one of his boots and he wore them like that for a week before the Sgt. told him to shine the other:rofl:

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Yeah, when they rolled out the nylon gear the claim was the change was to "reduce weight". You know what? My nylon duty gear weighs within a half pound of what my old leather gear weighed. So weight savings was negligible.

And the best part? The Nylon gear doesn't last. I have to replace all of it once a year because the mesquite abrades the nylon and causes it to fray. Looks like I'm wearing an afro wig around my waist about the time I have to replace it.

My old leather gear, OTOH, was just getting broken in nicely at the four year mark when they forced me to change.

The jerks even got rid of the old "cowboy cut" on the back of the uniform shirts when they went to these new BDU type unis. Oh, gee, we only had guys fight tooth and nail to keep the cowboy cut when they were forcing us out of DOJ and into DHS because the cowboy cut was part of our heritage. Then, six years later, they crap all over our heritage and the hard work of the guys who fought to keep it when we voluntarily decide to go to BDUs and nobody bothered to carry over the cowboy cut. It's little stuff, I know, but it was part of our identity. I hate it when these pencil-pushing ladder-climbers have no connection to our heritage, and no idea what the guys in the field actually want/need... they just take whatever dumb idea they happen to think is best and cram it down our throats.

Yeah, morale is awesome in the Patrol right now.

3. GRIMLET

GRIMLET Deceased

When your nylon gets afroesque, may I suggest burning the fro with a lighter. It will keep your rig " crisp ".
    Pun intended. Seriously, try it.

4. Good for you!

Fellow boot polisher here. I personally like looking squared away. Tailored uniforms and polished boots for me. I don't even mind wearing my hat...*gasp*

Posted from my iPhone 4s via Outdoor Hub mobile

5. I polish my boots at the start of every shift and often during the shift if they need it.

There is a brush and polish in my duty bag, there's another kit on the bench in my garage at home and the department puts them in the locker rooms as well.

It's one of my little OCD traits. Most likely comes from the punishment I got once in the Army for having dirty boots.

The shoes I wear to court are spit polished, but the boots are just done with a brush.

6. I am right there with you brother. Call me old school, but I think you boots should start every shift with a shine. What they look like at the end of your tour is irrelevant.

Guys can give you hell all they want, but after attending the LEOKA presentation that the FBI does, you take a real look at what image you portray in uniform. When the BG's that tried to or did kill officers talk about they took notice of how in shape the officers were as well as how neat their uniform was when the sized them up.....you wont overlook the small things that may let the BG's know that you are not there to play games and go down easy.

7. Lolol

8. South Fla

South Fla ©South Fla 2015

I saw guys so lazy and not polish their boots with polish, that they sprayed them black with Krylon spray paint.

On the topic of pungent aftershave, when I was in the academy, they actually had a class, or a "block" as they call it now, about wearing unscented deodorant, unscented shampoo, shaving in the shower, unscented soap and not to wear aftershave because the bad guys smelling you coming.

9. Cochese

Cochese Most mackinest
    CLM
    1. The JBT's

Choke yourself.

10. Cochese

Cochese Most mackinest
    CLM
    1. The JBT's

I don't polish my boots. I keep them conditioned but that is it. Clean and conditioned looks really good in my opinion. They always look new rather than like **** with a shiny toe cap like some of our guys.

11. DaBigBR

DaBigBR No Infidels!

The only boots worth polishing, IMO, are full grain leather. All of the fake leather just looks more fake with an academy shine on it. Full grain looks good polished up.

12. collim1

collim1 Shower Time!

Had to work a wreck on the interstate this week and wound up in calf deep mud most of the time. Set my boots outside until the dried the next day and spent a good bit of time picking the mud out of the sole and knocking it off the top.

Got em cleaned up with a damp rag and since I keep a nice polish on them they still looked pretty darn good when I got done.

I am giving them a quick coat now to buff out the scratches on the toe.

13. Just curious....what do you mean by the cowboy cut?

14. Since we only wear our boots with "Class B" uniforms, I have mixed feelings about polishing them. I always had my "B" boots polished from the academy days, but the thought process here is becoming more of if we are wearing class B's than we don't want to shine.

Class "A" uniform shine away.

I just got issued a new pair of 511's. I haven't done anything with them yet, but I think I will just keep them lookling "fresh" with a base coat of polish as Cochese mentioned.

If you wear boots every day with your class A uniform, then I could see keeping them spit shined.

15. Kingarthurhk

Kingarthurhk Isaiah 53:4-9

I remember when they changed the regular green to that weird green. We laughed at the first mismatched guy that showed up a muster.

I didn't like the cowboy cut on the shirts, though, because the five strands kept tearing them up.

I like the BDU look I see the new patrol with, but I never liked the concept of the second patch and the fact they made the BP patch smaller.

Heck, I still have my old hats, and uniforms. The leather is probably rotten by now. But, I did make sure I kept my Ike nice.

Morale sucked when i was in too. I am sure that hasn't changed much. Back then, the government in its less than infinite wisdom decided to do cross the board 11's and kill OCORS. That is when I decided I was out, and left.

Unless you wanted to be Nanook of the North, you were frozen in whatever duty station you were at, and it made morale worse, not better.

I guess the government decided to solve morale by making everyone 12's over there across the board. It appears they still don't "get it" 10 years later.

The issue is guys want mobility. You can throw as much money as you want at it, but people want to move around to different duty stations. If they can grasp that concept, I think morale might finally improve.

16. I thought this thread was about spit-shined boots and some chick...:supergrin:

17. The old school LEO Academy use to dress the footwear in Clarino oxfords. They blistered my feet, so I sought a pair of Bates USPS style shoes. Had to shine and Kiwi the leather, but they were great. The nylon/leather patrol boots do work well, and with a bit of maintenence look ok. My instructors would roll in their graves thinking that Clarino isn't accepted in the law enforcement world. They were crap, and the duty gear didn't last more than a year or two without cracking. I like the nylon better, and it's silent when you walk.

18. Metro566

Metro566 Gunfighter

On dogs I don't polish my boots...there is no need. I keep them clean and conditioned...they look like they did when I bought them.

When I work days, I have a separate pair that is nice and shiny.

On days all I do is crashes and traffic, on dogs all I do is run through dirt and catch crooks. To each their own

19. I really dont get it why in the USA there is so much effort put in shining boots and uniform inspections.. at least it seems to me like that.

I like it when an officer looks good in his/her uniform, but its not like beeing in the honor guard of the USMC.

Getting a reprimand for that is just a waste of energy and a loss of motivation.

Offcourse I also saw police officers with boots that looked like they worked for weeks at a farm, but thats not really something thats worth more than just mentioning it from time to time.

We had one of these shoe cleaner machines at the station. Every couple of hours I walked by, I used it. Worked fine and cost nearly nothing (I bet you get these for less than 100$)

#39 OfficerChris, Nov 18, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2012
  20. Cochese

Cochese Most mackinest
    CLM
    1. The JBT's

We had them when I worked in Texas. They were called trustees.

:rofl: