close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

My review of the Polish P-64

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by RMTactical, Jul 2, 2011.

1. Scamp

Scamp Geaux Tigers!

May 10, 2009
    Oklahoma
    Thanks, great review. Any idea what the double action trigger pull is?

2. RMTactical

RMTactical www.AR15pro.net CLM

Oct 7, 2000
    Behind an AR-15
    No. I've heard they made the spring very strong though because the 9x18 used by the Polish Army had very hard primers because if they didn't, they would have slamfires with their SMG's. Don't know if that is true...

3. RMTactical

Oct 7, 2000
    Behind an AR-15
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2011
  4. Markasaurus

Markasaurus

Dec 13, 2009
    Well $180 is the "hi-point" handgun price range. If this was all i could spend I think i'd take this little gun over a hi-point in a hot minute.

5. RMTactical

Oct 7, 2000
    Behind an AR-15
    I agree. This is a combat proven handgun. I don't question it's reliability or it's concealability.

6. Russ in PA

Russ in PA

Dec 10, 2001
    In it's price range, I don't think you can buy a better quality pistol. It's not a good gun for plinking...and maybe not the perfect carry-piece, but for the price I had to buy two. I bought them less than a year ago and have $350. invested in the pair. They're in excellent condition.

7. Myke_Hart

Myke_Hart Handloader

Dec 5, 2007
    Mount Eden, KY
    I have two of these as well.

They are great guns; VERY RELIABLE... even though they say they are not a copy of the PPK they are very simular except smaller/shorter and have a euro mag release.

The Double pull is heavy but single action is light. Yes you can go to wolf springs and get a lighter hammer spring and heavier recoil springs. You will need to try different poundage springs to keep the primer strikes reliable.

Most 9x18 blowback guns have snappy recoil, the lighter the gun the worse it gets. I have found that it is usually the slide smacking the slide stop causing a stinging sensation in your hand. Heavier recoil spring helps a lot and makes the gun pleasant to shoot but harder to rack the slide.

Due to the heavy double action, chambered round indicator, and decocker/safety, I think this is a excellent CC pocket gun. You don't need to worry about accidently pulling the double action trigger. The sights on this p-64's are way better than the pocket guns of today like the P3AT and LCT, but still need good daylight to be useful. The hammer can be manually cocked so I think it can make a decent range gun if you are not recoil sensitive.

Here are my polish twins:

Polish p-64
    [​IMG]

Here is a link to the springs you need.

http://www.gunsprings.com/index.cfm?page=items&cID=1&mID=49

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
  8. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Dec 21, 2002
    Texas
    I've had three P-64s since they first came out.

The gun is accurate, actually very accurate considering it is a small, semi rough military gun.
    One of my guns shoots a little right, one a little left and one center.

50 yards, standing, two hands, with the right shooting gun.
    [​IMG]

Just standing and blasting with the gun at 52 yards with the center hitting gun.:)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The recoil is very bad. Not many shooters want to finish shooting a box of 9x18 factory loads.

The DA trigger is TERRIBLE, but can be corrected with Wolf springs.
    I have a 16 and 18 pound main spring in two of my guns. The 16 makes for a good DA trigger but makes SA a "hair" trigger.
    In my other gun the 18 pound is just right.

9. Four Knives

Four Knives

Dec 25, 2009
    M2 speak truth.

I could not pull the DA until I swapped out to Wolff Springs.

Additionally, part of the reason the stock gun isn't fun to shoot is due to the seam in the back of the factory plastic grips. Swapped mine out for some custom Marschal grips, and it has made firing nearly pleasant.

Still not a range gun, but the overall build quality and thin width make these a darn fine budget CCW

10. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Dec 21, 2002
    Texas
    During one range session my hand was bleeding from that seam.

I have to look into those Marshal grips.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
  11. RMTactical

Oct 7, 2000
    Behind an AR-15
    M2, thanks for sharing that. You always have useful info on these types of guns.

12. RMTactical

Oct 7, 2000
    Behind an AR-15
    Thanks for that link.

I just ordered some 22# recoil springs. We'll see how they work out for me.

13. Myke_Hart

Myke_Hart Handloader

Dec 5, 2007
    Mount Eden, KY
    Great, Let me know how it works out for you.

14. RMTactical

Oct 7, 2000
    Behind an AR-15
    They were ok, but the recoil was still pretty harsh for my liking.

I ended up selling them...

15. I have a P-64 and consider it a fine little pistol. The fit and finish on mine are really quite good for a ComBloc military/police pistol. As noted, the stock main spring is horrible, well over 20# pull and mine required two fingers to pull in DA mode, no joke. As someone else noted, the Poles were sharing their 9X18 ammunition with whatever SMG they were using which required a "hard" primer to prevent slamfires, thus the heavy spring in the P-64.

Before I ran across the P-64 "Unofficial Site", I purchased a 17# main spring from Wolff Springs and it was the ticket. DA pull is smooth and SA is light but not "hair" trigger. The aficionados generally don't recommed less than an 18# main spring as due to the design, some P-64s randomly drop their mags with lighter springs. I never changed out the recoil spring and I've heard quite mixed reviews of those who thought it was a waste of money and those who felt it helps. I opted for custom Marschal grips and it helped quite a bit with perceived recoil, though it still is a snappy pistol.

It's not my primary EDC, though it occasionally fits the bill nicely as it has a thin profile. The CrossBreed Mini-tuck designed for the PPK fits perfectly. All in all, I think it remains a great deal for an all metal pistol. I think 9X18 is probably a little light in the SD department but better than .380, and I think you have to give some credence to the fact that it was the standard sidearm round for a gazillion ComBlock pistols for decades, using only FMJ bullets at that. Some better 9X18 HP SD rounds have been released recently as well.

[​IMG]