close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

My reloading bench is complete thanks to ya'll

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Kwesi, Nov 3, 2013.

1. Kwesi

Kwesi
    Expand Collapse

If I determine it needs to be 2" lower I'm not sure if I want to un bolt it and cut the legs vs stand on a 2" piece of those header beams. For cleaning my guns the bench height is fine. Standing on the board & pulling the handle felt real good. Gotta spend more time loading before deciding.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
    #21 Kwesi, Nov 4, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  2. ca survivor

ca survivor
    Expand Collapse

Very nice bench!

3. Taterhead

Taterhead
    Expand Collapse
    Counting Beans

Very nice. I like how it looks extremely sturdy, open, and simple. If it were me, and I determined it to be too high, I would be inclined to take the time to unbolt it from the wall and shorten the legs. You might like that solution a bit more in the long run.

I am working on plans myself to relocate from the garage, and into the house. There are about 3 weeks in the fall, and 3 weeks in the spring where it is pleasant to load in the garage where I live. Otherwise hot or cold.

I have a lot going on right now, but I will post photos when I get it all put together. It might be after the new year.

4. frankmako

frankmako
    Expand Collapse

nice setup.

5. steve1911

steve1911
    Expand Collapse

Looks great!

1911club#410

6. F106 Fan

F106 Fan
    Expand Collapse

Don't forget the possibility of putting a floor mat down. That will take up 3/4" and do your back a world of good.

http://www.grizzly.com/search/search?q=mat&cachebuster=96988547450441.17

Richard

7. Kwesi

Kwesi
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Richard. I'll look into those.

8. robin303

robin303
    Expand Collapse
    Helicopter Nut

Where is the TV. :supergrin:

9. PEC-Memphis

PEC-Memphis
    Expand Collapse
    Scottish Member

In my opinion, a bench can be too high. I use a craftsman 2 drawer workbench, metal top, lower shelf - it was a closeout item at about $80.

It is a good height for working on "stuff", cleaning guns, etc.

I reloaded on it a long time before I realized it was much faster, and less fatiguing (for me) if the height was of the press (550 with strong mount) was just high enough that I didn't have to drop a shoulder at the bottom stroke of the press, that way my hands are as low as possible when handling cases, bullets advancing shell plate - faster, less fatigue, better view into case for powder check.

I stacked some boards an 1" at the time until I found the correct height; then build a step about 18" wide by 25" long to use with the 550. The (standard) bench height is good for my (45 year old) RCBS and MEC shotshell press, both of which are lower than the 550 w/ strong-mount.

10. Kwesi

Kwesi
    Expand Collapse

I measured the distance to the top of my arm/shoulder at 60". The handle is at 56". My shoulder definitely does NOT dip down. Does this give you any more understanding of why I feel I have to muscle the handle down in station 1? I have not loaded any shorter cases yet. Could the longer 45 Win Mag be part of the issue?

11. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel
    Expand Collapse

Yes. You will notice longer cases engage sooner in the process. The 550 strong mount is pretty high. The shorter one would make a difference.

12. F106 Fan

F106 Fan
    Expand Collapse

Are you using Hornady One Shot lube? If not, it's really important that you do - even with carbide dies. It makes the process easier on the press, the brass and you.

Richard

13. Kwesi

Kwesi
    Expand Collapse

F106: I do not use One Shot because the Nu Finish that I add to the corn cob leaves them silky smooth.

14. Kwesi

Kwesi
    Expand Collapse

4wheel: I've considering that since you mentioned Dillon has the shorter strong mount. Hmmm now I'll need to confirm the handle will clear the edge of the table top if the press is 2 1/4" lower.

15. Kwesi

Kwesi
    Expand Collapse

4wheel: the shorter strong mount will not work with out modifying the table top. I positioned the SM so that the handle in the down position clears the edge of the table top by just 1/4".

16. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel
    Expand Collapse

Just move the press forward a little and the arm will clear. You want it towards the front of the bench.

#36 Colorado4Wheel, Nov 6, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  17. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel
    Expand Collapse

Or, just onbolt it from the wall. Stick a block under a leg and jack it up enough to take some tension off the leg. Cut it with this backsaw. Shim it to level it if needed. Not a big deal.

[​IMG]

18. F106 Fan

F106 Fan
    Expand Collapse

Your choice, of course. But the NuFinish doesn't provide ANY lubrication. My brass, with Dillon polish, is also very smooth and shiny. But, in terms of resizing, there is no comparison between an polished, but unlubed, case and a case with One Shot.

And, you don't need to remove the One Shot. Just load and go!

Richard

19. Kwesi

Kwesi
    Expand Collapse

4wheel: thanks for the suggestions. I only have two inches to move the strong mount forward and I guess I could notch out the table top if necessary. Basically I guess I don't want to hack up the bench. It should be clear after some sessions.

20. Kwesi

Kwesi
    Expand Collapse

My good buddy that taught me reloading has preached One Shot since the beginning. I did try some once. How do you apply it?