close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

My old savage

Discussion in 'Rimfire Forum' started by Grappler112, Apr 7, 2012.

1. Grappler112

Grappler112

Nov 19, 2007
    DC area
    Just made my first range trip with a old savage .22 rifle that was once my grandfathers. Probably hasn't been shot since the 70s or 80s and was made between 1923 and 1933. still shoots just fine though, it is so heavy it felt like a bb gun, and the magazine is stuck so it is a single shot bolt action basically, but really fun to shoot

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

2. JimIsland

JimIsland

Aug 1, 2011
    Charleston,SC
    Cool....I picked up a Savage 22 on sale at Dicks several months ago. It came with a little cheap scope and was around 140.00. Took it to my buddies farm and got it sighted in. I can keep a tight group out to 100 yrds. Pretty impressed with a very inexpensive .22 plus it not a bolt action....it's a semi auto with a 10 shot clip.

3. smokeross

smokeross GTDS Member #49

May 15, 2011
    Alaska
    I love those old guns. I still shoot and hunt with my Dad's old .22 Winchester. He won't let go of his Colt Woodsman Target yet. He is 86 and has a tough time seeing the sights, so he shoots from the hip. Never misses. Keep using and shooting that old Savage.

4. Grappler112

Grappler112

Nov 19, 2007
    DC area
    Pic will come tried to post with my phone but didn't work Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  5. Here's my old NRA match, model 23A I think.

[​IMG]

I'd like to figure out how to drill/tap a period correct appearing scope/mount to it. Any ideas?

6. Grappler112

Grappler112

Nov 19, 2007
    DC area
    I would also like info on this, though as a future project. I did get the magazine out and that has uped the shooting fun.

7. countrygun

countrygun

Mar 9, 2012

If you decide to devalue it severly by tapping it, finding the scope an mount isn't that hard. I have a couple of spares like the one on my Savage in the "beautiful rifle" thread. they are not that hard to find, althought my "spares" need refinishing due to our costal climate. I have pulled a couple off older rifles I've restored. Most of the mounts are pretty universal just curved to fit on the left side of round receivers.

Of course complete shame on you if you ruin such a fine rifle by actually doing that.

8. I paid $125 for it, and going off of sold GB auctions, that's what they're worth. If you feel this rifle is especially valuable, I'd be willing to part with it. Just sayin. A scope would make it more fun.

9. Bob Hafler

Bob Hafler

Sep 13, 2011
    My neighbor knows I like old rifles. Monday he gives me a .22 Marlin bolt action tube fed DL81 made probably around 1953 as near as I can tell. It has and old 3/4" Weaver G4 scope on it that is supprisingly clear. Has a little surface pitting on the outside of the barrel but the bore is clean and bright and everything works fine after a little cleaning up and lubing. I have a newer 10/22 that is darned accurate, but I believe this little Marlin would be more accurate than the 10/22 at longer ranges. What's also nice about it is it shoots Short /Long/ Long Rifle rounds. Old rifles are a blast and usually pretty inexpensive to buy and shoot.

Last edited: May 10, 2012