close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

My Nov. 08 Bow Buck

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by lonestar63, Apr 16, 2009.

1. lonestar63

lonestar63
    Expand Collapse

My bow buck from this past season.

Saw this buck during our peak rut on Nov 22nd, hot on the trail of a doe at 7:30 in the morning.

I had 2 tree stands in the area (i was in one of them), but neither was in bow range. There was a fence line that became a Hot trail overnight during the rut. Does were using it to come from a wheat field, heading back to a bedding area in my creek.

Problem was, there was no trees big enough to hand a stand in the area. Lots of brushy mesquite that provided the deer enough cover for them to feel safe traveling in.

I decided at noon that same day to set up a tripod about 25 yards off the trail. I backed it into some briars to give me a backdrop, and i left to let the area settle down.

Got back in it at 3 pm, and at 5:45 the same buck i saw that morning came back thru.

He was in bow range this time. :supergrin:

Slightly quartering toward me, but i stopped him and made a good shot. He only went 40 yards. Aged him at 5 1/2 yrs old.

Antler quality was down this year in my county because of drought conditions. He would have really been something i think if it had been a wetter year.

Attached Files:

2. RJ Schuknecht

RJ Schuknecht
    Expand Collapse

Nice mature buck lonestar, congratulations.