My Newest Rifle

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by ALLVOL, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Tonight my wife and I were at her parents house and my father in law and I were talking about guns. He goes out to the garage for a few minutes and comes back in with this beauty. Told mr that he wanted me to have it and then gave it to me.

Remington 700 chambered in 30-06. If y'all are like me you all have some guns in your collection that have a lot of sentimental value. This is one of those rifles. Can't wait to shoot it.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!

Attached Files:

2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    On and on it goe'sNewest article on the so called "Caliber War" Caliber Corner Jun 9, 2015
    Newest favorite desktop photo. The Okie Corral Jun 8, 2015
    Newest.... 1911 Forums Jun 2, 2015
    My love/hate relationship with Glocks and my newest purchase. General Glocking Jun 2, 2015
    Newest addition to willie_pete casa General Firearms Forum May 11, 2015

3. Great gun . I have a bdl in '06 . It will take any game in North America with the right load . Count yourself lucky , the FIL trusts you with his daughter and his firearms. You must be one of the good guys .

4. GlockPride

GlockPride Glock 23

Very cool. Congrats! Free guns are awesome!
  5. Very nice

The Remington 700 is a classic.
  6. Congrats. Best part is, you can still find ammo for that right now.
  7. That's a darn nice gift. I want to add an -06 to my collection this year.
  8. rednoved

rednoved NRA Member

Congrats. Great gun.
  9. DonD

Nice looking. If you're not too sentimental about it, put a good recoil pad on it and it will make it a pleasant shooter. Don
  10. Thanks for the advice. Will do.
  11. That is a very nice rifle! Doesn't get more American than that. A 700 Remington in 30-06!
  12. CJStudent

CJStudent Fenced In

13. G23c

gotta love family, and it is a classic.
  14. Great rifle the 700, nice of your father in law.

15. skeeter7

skeeter7 Brass Vulture

That was a very nice gesture. Congrats! :thumbsup:
  16. Congrats! my father gave me same rifle but in .270
  17. wolf19r

wolf19r Problem Solved!

Nice and congratulations.
  18. You have a great rifle. It is all the rifle you will ever need to hunt in the lower 48.:thumbsup:

A Remington 700 BDL Left Hand in 30-06 was the first gun that I was able to sign for myself. Until then one of my parents had to go with me. I use it in WV and MI to hunt whitetails. Later when I moved to Wyoming it came with me. I used it on everything including varmints. I was telling a guy that it too big for prairie dogs but it was all I had in centerfire rifle. He made feel good when he said everything is big for prairie dogs. What I didn't realize at the time but I was honing my shooting skills. When I went after big game they were a lot bigger to hit. That rifle took a lot of game to the point that it was too easy. I started to hunt with other guns such as pistols and leveractions.

I had developed several loads that would shoot three shot into one inch at 100 yards from a cold barrel. The 30-06 is an easy round to load and there is tons of reloading data out there. The load I settle on is 165 grain JSPBT with 60 grains of H 4831. Used it on everything. The one odd thing about my rifle is it didn't like Nosler Partition bullets but I had no trouble with standard bullets. Now bullets are even better.

I still have that rifle and all the memories.
  19. DonD

Glad to be helpful. The 30-06 isn't what I'd call an abusive rifle recoil wise but it simply seems reasonable to make shooting as enjoyable and pleasant as possible. Don