close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

My new Rock River National Match A4 showed up

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by ithaca_deerslayer, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Here is my first AR :)
    [​IMG]

Any tips or suggestions before I shoot it?

2. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

Oct 8, 2001
    Middle of SC
    Nice. Run a bore brush and let the lead fly!

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

3. Ran 20 UMC 55gr fmj through it this morning. Sweet!

No jams, no problems. Destroyed the bull's eye from 50 yards, kneeling.

That rear peep is tight to see through. I think it is .030 (if I recall right).

This is one nose heavy mofo. But I knew that going in. Weighs 10 pounds. It shoots exactly how I wanted, smooth.

I don't have any premo ammo yet, but I'll still bench this stuff when I get the chance. Precision iron sights are still pretty new to me. I'm used to scopes and a only a few open iron sighted rifles or shotguns. I'll switch to scope eventually (Christmas present?), but right now I want to see what I can do with irons.

4. Nothing special at all, but here's my targets at 50 and 100 yards while sitting at a bench. Man, irons are tough to see with!

[​IMG]

Need just a little more light through the peep. Even then, so hard to be precise putting that front post on the target. I'm so spoiled by having 9x magnification, or better.

This is a real challenge, a whole new ball game in shooting.

Note that it won't be till I get a scope that I'll any chance of ever getting sub MOA shooting from this gun :)

5. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Louisville KY
    Concentrate on the front sight. Forget the target. The rear sight will take care of itself. Pay VERY close attention to this tippy-top of the front sight. You will notice you can get very refined in terms of how you can center the front sight on the bull (which is smaller than the sight) and also pay attention to how much black you cover... Pumpkin on a post but you'll catch yourself creeping up into the black.

Your shots are spread out twice as much from top to bottom as from side to side. That's from not paying attention to the front sight post...creeping up into the black or leaving some daylight between the bottom of the bull and the post.

The target should be a blurr. The front sight in focus and crisp. You wouldn't think it would work but it does.

Front sight--Front Sight--Front Sight.... Sqeeeeeeeze the trigger.
    Dry fire practice is your friend.

The match is won or lost in the 200 YARD offhand event. Practice dry-fire offhand the most... Shoot a whole 20 shot event in your kitchen with a small black bullseye on the fridge from ten feet away.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  6. Big Bird, thanks for the help.

I'm used to focusing on the front sight because of pistol shooting. The trouble is I can barely see the bulls eye at 100 yards. And I can barely see the top of the front s
    post. And I have very little idea of where the top of the front post is in relation to the bull's eye.

Not that it will solve the problem, but I think a slightly larger peep would allow more light through and maybe make the front post a little more crisp, and not so dark and shadowy.

How easy is it to change out the peep? Would it be insane to drill out the existing peep a tad? Shiny metal inside the hole can't be good, but just wondering if that is an approach anyone takes.

7. KalashniKEV

KalashniKEV

Sep 24, 2003
    NoVA
    What does it say on the top of that target?

"Official..."

:whistling:

:supergrin:

8. bmoore

bmoore

Jan 15, 2006
    Under a regime.
    Congrats on your new rifle. 20 inch rifles have a special place in my heart. Lol

9. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Louisville KY
    Many of the NM peeps have apertures that will unscrew and you can put a different size peep in its place. Look on the front of the peep and if it has what looks like a screwdriver slot across it you can probably unscrew it and buy a larger size. Try it in bright light before you do...a smaller peep is more accurate if you can use it!

If it won't unscrew you can buy a replacement aperture that will with an assortment of peep sizes for not a lot of dough.

10. The Pirate

The Pirate HARRRRR!!!

Nov 7, 2006
    Walltown, KY
    Nice! I hope you enjoy it, I'm sure it will shoot to your expectations once you get used to it. It ain't shooting bad at all considering your sight issues.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

11. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

Oct 8, 2001
    Middle of SC
    Mine, too. I still say I wanna get a "classic" rifle, just for sentimental reasons. :embarassed:

12. KalashniKEV

KalashniKEV

Sep 24, 2003
    NoVA
    That's why I got my "Basic Training Musket."

:supergrin:

[​IMG]

13. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

Oct 8, 2001
    Middle of SC
    That's exactly what I need. Where's an issue sling? :dunno:

14. KalashniKEV

KalashniKEV

Sep 24, 2003
    NoVA
    sling?!?!

Wtf?

;)

15. smokin762

smokin762

Apr 19, 2009
    Ohio
    Big Bird summed it up.

Enjoy your practice with it.
    Maybe some of these video's can help you. I just enjoy watching them myself. :cool:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITp2OM7Qzqs&feature=related"]Fundamentals of Rifle Marksmanship Part 1 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TvmWdDRZ0s&feature=relmfu"]Fundamentals of Rifle Marksmanship Part 2 - YouTube[/ame]

16. bmoore

bmoore

Jan 15, 2006
    Under a regime.
    Beauty. Colt? Fulton armory upper?

17. xArcher

xArcher

Jun 23, 2011
    San Antonio, Texas
    Swab/brush the barrel and go shoot it.

I've got a RR NM and love it. Mine has a flash suppressor and bayonet lug. Otherwise they are the same.

18. Awesome videos. I have to say that I already know that instructional content . It is vitually the same as the NRA instruction. But it is great to see and think about how well I am, or am not, applying those fundamentals :)

So yes, I believe it does help to watch these videos.

19. smokin762

smokin762

Apr 19, 2009
    Ohio

Sometimes while watching these video’s I will practice dry firing. It kind of gets me a little more in the spirit of things.

I also like to send these video’s to new shooters. Sometime it helps them.

Maybe someday we will bump into each other up at Camp Perry. Or at least at the CMP store. :supergrin: :wavey:

20. itstime

itstime

Apr 9, 2006
    USA
    Nice shooter there. I loveine. Enjoy. All the tips are good ones.