close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

My new rig

Discussion in 'Car Forum' started by Asha'man, Jan 24, 2006.

1. Asha'man

Asha'man eat the eat!

Jan 13, 2004
    Denver
    Since the Mustang is still at the body shop after being rear-ended back in December, I had to get another vehicle. A guy on the local AR15 board mentioned he had a truck for sale, so I took a look at it and jumped on it.

It's a 1986 Toyota 4Runner SR5, 22RE (bulletproof 2.4L four-cylinder), 4x4, 5spd. Has 234K miles, which for this motor is apparently not unusual, and the body and frame have very little rust for a Toyota truck of this vintage. Paid $1100. Four-wheel-drive works, which will be nice next time it snows big again. It will need a clutch and probably a timing chain a bit sooner than later, but neither are immediate. Brakes could use a little looking at, too (intermittent squeak). Interior is pretty clean except the carpet, and the heat is HOT. As you can see in the pictures, it's got the standard-issue Toyota saggy ass, but an add-a-leaf or lift shackles should fix that for a while. Needs big tires and maybe new wheels too. Aside from that, maybe exhaust, and maintenance/repairs, I should be able to leave it pretty much alone and have a good daily driver/beater. Hopefully the Mustang can be reduced to a nice-weather car for the first time in it's life. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Brian

2. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    Good luck with it. Toyota has a great reputation for longivity.

3. Rob1035

Rob1035 Skeet Surfer

Jan 24, 2005
    Charlotte NC
    nice rig, yota's are where its at for 4x4 (IMHO)

might I suggest a new set of rear springs? Nothing bugs me more than a saggy rear;f, although yours isnt nearly as bad as some of the trucks I see

4. epsylum

epsylum Boolit Hoze

Sep 4, 2004
    Racing Capital, USA
    I would say for $1100 you got one hell of an off road and winter mobile.

Just in case you get a bug up your bum about hopping up that bad boy. Check out LC Engineering. The specialize in all the 22xx motors and make some mean power for a four banger. That thing would be sweet with a turbo. ;)

5. Asha'man

Asha'man eat the eat!

Jan 13, 2004
    Denver
    New rear springs (or an AAL or lift shackles) are definitely in the plans. Truck needs levelling pretty bad. ;)

I agree, it definitely needs a turbo. Had a hard time keeping 70mph on the highway yesterday. :( I will definitely be looking into that - may have to build myself a turbo motor for the truck, too. ;f

Brian

6. Black Tiger

Black Tiger

Mar 4, 2004
    Leesburg, FL
    That 4Runner might outlast your Stang. Toyotas are well known for making long-lasting cars & trucks; my first car was a 96 Tercel and that thing survived me like a P-47 would survive a low level strafing run through a Flak gun Factory.