close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

My New Les Baer Premier II 9mm

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by BuckyP, Nov 10, 2011.

1. BuckyP

BuckyP
    Expand Collapse
    Lifetime Member

Well, Christmas came early! :supergrin: When I ordered this gun from Baer Custom, they gave me an estimated arrival date of February 2012. Just as many here told me, they came in way under that. :dancingbanana:

I took the pics below at the range, and they didn't come out as good as I'd have liked. After taking the pictures, I put 300 rounds through it. I had various 115, 125, and 147g rounds, all hand loads. I had Wilson, Tripp, Dawson, and Metalform / Springfield magazines on hand. Ironically, it didn't like the Dawson magazines. These are the magazines that seemed to work best in my Smith 9mm. :dunno: 2 mags with the Dawson, one failure to feed each. Absolutely no issues using the Wilson or Tripp magazines. I only did a couple with the Metalform (no issues), since I really needed it to work with 10 round magazines.

Overall I am very impressed with this gun. Accuracy is excellent. I had a couple 4 to 5 shot groups through one hole at 12 yards. Being a tight gun, I was expecting more issues during "break in", dislike for a particular magazine aside. I bought this gun as a primary competition gun for steel, IDPA and USPSA. Pending any issues, I expect to have 10K through it by this time next year.

Anyway, here are the specs:

Les Baer Premier II 9mm
    Options:
    Short Trigger
    Single Sided safety
    Fixed Sights
    3.5 lb trigger pull

Intended future add-ons:
    Mag Well
    Extended Magazine Release
    Sights (either Dawson or Warren)
    FLGR (Maybe?)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. GSSF17

GSSF17
    Expand Collapse
    ...2 of 'em

Excellent piece. Good job- Merry Christmas!

3. dogchild

dogchild
    Expand Collapse

Nice gun BuckyP, hope you enjoy it for many years to come!

4. FLSlim

FLSlim
    Expand Collapse

Looks like the start of a great holiday season! Congrats.

5. 38 Super Fan

38 Super Fan
    Expand Collapse

Awesome, congrats! :thumbsup: Good deal on the early arrival, I've got a 9mm Baer on order, hope mine comes that early.

6. Glockdude1

Glockdude1
    Expand Collapse
    Federal Member
    CLM

Merry Christmas!!

I have had my eye on a Baer SRP for a while now. Hopefully soon!!

:supergrin:

7. Gary1911A1

Gary1911A1
    Expand Collapse

Nice, I'd skip the FLGR as it's just a PIA when you field strip it for cleaning.

8. up1911fan

up1911fan
    Expand Collapse

Congrats, that's a really nice Baer!

9. BuckyP

BuckyP
    Expand Collapse
    Lifetime Member

Thanks for all the kind words. I'm pretty happy with it.

Actually, I was thinking the FLGR will be easier for field stripping it, or at least reassembling - assuming it is done right. Here are my thoughts. First off, the bushing is TIGHT!! So you have to use a wrench either way. With the factory plug, you push under spring tension. This is tricky during reassembly. With the FLGR (and the slide relieved, you rack the slide and put your bent paper clip in the little hole (EGW or STI guide rods). Now you can disassemble, reassemble with your wrench without dealing with the spring. This is how my custom builds are done. I think that the slide may have to be relieved for this to work on this gun. :dunno: I'll have to check (at which point, I'd skip it).

Anyway, for now I'm going to use it as is.

10. glock2740

glock2740
    Expand Collapse
    Gun lover.

Congrats! Good looking gun. :thumbsup:

11. CMG

CMG
    Expand Collapse

Nice choice!

12. MoNsTeR

MoNsTeR
    Expand Collapse

Get a Dawson Tool-less guide rod. You won't ever go back.

13. bac1023

bac1023
    Expand Collapse

Very nice

Congrats! :cool:

14. Nicko

Nicko
    Expand Collapse
    GTDS FOR LIFE

Nice, Congrats

15. samuse

samuse
    Expand Collapse

Weigh it. It may be too heavy for IDPA with a FLGR.

Good lookin ESP gun, good luck with it.

16. BuckyP

BuckyP
    Expand Collapse
    Lifetime Member

Good point. 40.5 ounces now with a magazine in it. I think it should make it at 43oz. I'll leave it as is for now.

Thanks.

17. GOOFA

GOOFA
    Expand Collapse

Looks like a keeper to me.

18. BuckyP

BuckyP
    Expand Collapse
    Lifetime Member

I've been shooting this gun fairly regular since I got it, both in practice and competition. I had two minor problems with it, but now feel that I have them resolved.

I tried to resolve one issue through Les Baer, but it didn't work out. Still, I wanted to be sure the problem was fixed before I talked about it. The problem was that when the mag was shot empty (one in still in the pipe) or when the gun was shot to slide lock, the magazine would hang up in the gun. Also, many times the gun would not even lock back. Close observation showed that the follower was riding up along side the slide stop, rather than pushing the slide stop upward. After examining the slide stop, and measuring with calipers to the best of my ability, I could find no measurable difference between this slide stop and the ones in my .45s (keep in mind this is a 9mm). The slide stop in my .38 super was considerably longer (in how much it projects into the frame).

After a few phone calls to Les Baer, I receive a call back from Les himself. I explain the situation and hint that perhaps I have a .45 slide stop. He tells me that no, it's a 9mm slide stop and that they cut them back that far on purpose. He then says that each mag has to be tuned for the gun and that the follower has to be widened, or tuned so that it can hit the slide stop properly. While the Tripps do have a bendable tab, the Wilson followers are plastic :dunno:. He tells me that the mag that came with the gun should work fine. I would have to tune my other mags the same.

Now it should be noted, I was able to reproduce the problem without shooting the gun (put a mag in and rack the slide quickly). AND, I was able to reproduce the problem WITH the mag that came with the gun.

After thanking Les for his time, and pondering for a few minutes, I got online and ordered a Wilson 9mm slide stop. Since installing the new slide stop, the issue has completely resolved itself and haven't introduced any feeding issues.

The second issue I started to see the next day at a match, and that was a couple failures to extract. Note, this was before the new slide stop arrived. (The match was static steel, so I wasn't {thankfully} running the gun dry.) Taking the slide off and sliding an empty under the extractor showed very little tension holding the shell in place (in fact gravity was enough to have the shell fall out). Instead of doing it the layman's way, my local smith has an extractor tool which we used to add more tension. After which, there have been no further failures of any kind. However, should it happen again, I'm going to buy an Aftec extractor. Heck, I may wind up getting one regardless.

Anyway, I now have around 400 rounds (including two matches) through the gun since both issues were resolved. It has been flawless.

Now I will say, I still very much love this gun. Both issues weren't that big a deal, and aside from that, the gun is built very well. Still, I am curious about the whole slide stop / tuning magazines comments, and has anyone heard of such a thing for a single stack 9mm 1911?

@Rant off

19. BuckyP

BuckyP
    Expand Collapse
    Lifetime Member

Glad I revisited this thread. Now that I have a mag well on the gun, I decided to re-weigh it. The weight is up to 42.8 oz with my heaviest mag. A FLGR is definitely a NO GO!!

20. extremist

extremist
    Expand Collapse

Exactly why I"ll never buy a Baer 9mm gun again. I fought mine for several months with the same issues. I shouldn't have to buy "custom" mags for a $2000 Les Baer 9mm 1911. I too swear the slide stop was a .45 slide stop that they "worked on" to get it to run in the 9mm and it never worked right. I too ordered a Wilson 9mm slide stop and it alleviated some of the issues for a while. But then I kept getting FTF/FTE and double feeds. Here's my old PII 9mm:

[​IMG]

I sent mine to Wilson Combat for them to make it work. It was lost/stolen by UPS on the way back to me so they replaced it with a Wilson Combat ESP Classic 9mm and I've never had any more problems :cool:

Here's my new ESP Classic 9mm:

[​IMG]

All of my Wilson 1911 5" 9mms run perfect. And have from round 1. With Wilson mags used exclusively that I buy from Brownells. They also run fine with any mag I've tried, but the Wilson ETM 9mm mags work perfect and they are relatively inexpensive.

James