close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

My new 870

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by Hokie, Oct 24, 2011.

1. Hokie

Hokie NRA Member

May 16, 2006
    VA
    [​IMG]

My first shotgun. Just got the Mesa Tactical LEO adapter today. Need to hit the range to zero the H1. The range is only 50 yards so I was going to zero at 50 yards. Any reason to zero at a different distance?

2. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

Oct 19, 2011
    I guess it depends on the application. For a deer shotgun I would consider zeroing at 100 yards. But maybe not...

About the only thing you can reliably shoot beyond 50 yards will be a slug. On the side of the Remington Slugger box there is a chart of the slug trajectory. Study that chart and you can see how far down the slug will be at 100 yards given a 50 yard zero - less than 5". So, for hunting, a little bit of 'hold-over' should work just fine.

The thing about tactical shotguns is that they are generally for self-defense. It's hard to claim self-defense at 100 yards as moving away is probably a better tactic and if you really do need to shoot for self-defense at 100 yards, a shotgun is the wrong weapon.

So, no, I don't see any reason to zero at anything other than 50 yards. Other opinions may vary...

Richard

3. tenntornado

tenntornado

Oct 17, 2011
    Derpville
    I zero my 12 gauge slug guns using Foster slugs about 2" high at 50 yards.

This gives me a maximum point blank range of about 100 yds using a 12" circle as a target.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
  4. M1Garand

M1Garand

Sep 7, 2005
    Virginia
    Sight in at 50 yard is all you need for tactical or defense application. It is also good enough for most deer hunting situations. 12G slugs are not meant to be shot long distance like rifle at 100 yard or more.

5. Andrewsky

Andrewsky

May 28, 2004
    It wouldn't be a bad idea to find out exactly where you're hitting at 10, 25, 50, 75, and 100 yards.

If you can only zero at 50, use the internet to find out where you'll hit at the other distances (tables, ballistics calculators, etc.).

For a plains hunting rifle I tape a range card to the stock that gives trajectories from 25 to 500 yards.

6. Sweet! I'm in the market for a shotgun. Shotguns are new to me, so thanks for the inspiration.

7. Hokie

Hokie NRA Member

May 16, 2006
    VA
    I plan to zero at 50 then shoot other distances to find my hold over. Just wish the range was not slug only so I could pattern it was buckshot

8. mainegunner

mainegunner

Mar 5, 2005
    maine
    A pair of 870's The 870 police has a wilson plus 2 on it.

9. Big_Grumpy

Big_Grumpy Go Cheese!

Jul 21, 2009
    WI
    Nice set up Hokie! :cool:

I s'pose it depends what you think you'll be needing the shotgun to do. I "zeroed" mine around 30 yards.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2011
  10. Bello

Bello America/Italia

Sep 24, 2008
    East Coast
    Because you need a red dot on a shotgun...

You could have bought two 870's for the price of that aimpoint..

Tactitard...

11. Hokie

Hokie NRA Member

May 16, 2006
    VA
    Do you need a gun? I guess you are going to sell all of yours.

The red dot is faster for me and I can still use the bead if need.

12. With that red dot mounted that high if you are dead on at 50 yards you will be about 3" low at 100 yards. And about a foot low at 150 yards.

13. pilsbury

pilsbury

Apr 23, 2010
    Gotham City
    I love the 870. IMO the best all purPose shot gun, congrats.