My New 10mm Load Development Tools

Discussion in 'The 10 Ring' started by whenmonkeysfly, Jun 9, 2011.

1. _The_Shadow

_The_Shadow Ret. Fireman

I had just discussed this with WhenMonkeysFly in a PM.

This is what I sent to him;
    He wishes to just run 10mmAuto, hot to obtain his best ballistic performance...my concern is not having the rounds developed in the 610 windup in the semiauto pistol.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
    #21 _The_Shadow, Jun 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2011
  2. Sweet wheel guns!

3. nice set. you got them both as a set? sweet!!!! i would like to pick up one of these or the ruger blackhawk convertible. they seem to be hard to come find.

#23 leadslinger13, Jun 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  4. Bought them both at around the same time. Both were made in 1990 and considered first run... well before Smith & Wesson started putting those funky key locks on their guns. They are a hoot to shoot! Both 10mm and 40S&W. I'm researching/experimenting with some nuclear 10mm loadings now (safely, of course). To be continued.....

Good old heavy revolvers are getting harder to find and definitely more expensive than in years past.

5. agtman

agtman 10mm Spartiate

Well, back when I was playing around with hot stuff in my 610, I found you could increase velocity significantly with much more pressure by long-loading the projectile beyond the 1.260 COAL restriction in a 10mm autoloader. Since these were special loads for my 610 only, I used NICKLE brass to distinguish them from the reloads (using the goldish brass) for my autos.

Long time ago a 10mm user over on THR posted several times about doing the same long-loading experimentation with his 610, and he stated that his success at developing a 100-yd "deer load" was the reason he passed on sending his wheelie to Bowen for reaming out the cylinders to 10mm mag length.

While I haven't tried reaching 10mm Mag levels, I have tried loading the 200gn XTPs out to, first, 1.325," then on up to 1.400", and increasing the powder charge slowly but steadily. IIRC, I was using AA#7. Some COALs I tried were more accurate than others, based on group sizes.

Nothing bad happened, but I eventually got tied up with something else and had to stop experiementing with finding the maximum safe load for long-loaded 10mm ammo in a 610.

Maybe someone else has attempted this long-loading alternative to having their 610's cylinders reamed? :dunno:

6. Agtman,

That's the kind of data/info I'm looking for being that I really don't want to go the 10mm Magnum route (yet :whistling:). Even staying within the 1.260 OAL, it seems you can get a lot of low volume powder in the case like Hodgdon's Longshot and/or AA#7 if I remember correctly. I'll have to look at my data when I was experimenting with the 9x25 Dillon. Good idea to distinguish/separate cases by nickel plating. I'd be interested in looking at your data if you are willing to share and certainly understand using at my own risk. The "N-frame" of the S&W 610 seems to be overkill by Smith, but it sure is nice shooting and does seem to like the heavier/hotter loads....

7. AA#9 is where it's at though I have had a lot of good luck with Blue Dot. The old Norma loads are pretty easy to obtain but my cases start to stick in my 610-3 much over that. YMMV.