close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

My mom is seeing this guy.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Folsom_Prison, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

May 2, 2010
    Midwest
    Weird to me!

My dad died when I was five, I'm 24 now. My mom has been a great single mother! Worked two jobs to support my brother and I growing up and she went to school at the same time and got her nursing degree.

My first childhood memory is the day my dad died, I don't recall having my dad around really. All I've known is me my brother and mom dealing with life, ect....

She's been seeing this guy lately. Honestly this is new to me and I'm really not sure what to think. I havnt met him yet but my mom asked me how I feel about it.....

My response was.... As long as he treats you good I'll be fine if not he'll have to deal with a young buck half his age.

As a joke I said I hope he never has to see my Glock in a bad way, she said he has his own.

This is new to me guys, how have you dealt with a parent dating someone new?

2. EmbryRiddle

EmbryRiddle

Jul 20, 2010
    Atlanta
    Momma's gotta have a life too. I think it is awesome that she supported you and your brother growing up, without concern for her happiness, but now ya'll are grown, it is time for her to enjoy her life again!

As long as the guy is cool...you run a background yet?

3. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

May 2, 2010
    Midwest
    No, I havnt even seen the guy. She said she's staying with him tonight..... Weird! She said he's a great guy, and I responded with I don't care! Got your 38 on you? She said yes.

4. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity Lifetime Member

Dec 18, 2004
    San AntonioTexas
    Keep your nose out of it.

You dont mess with other people love lifes. (even if you are "right" about them being "wrong"...whatever the issue is) It is a fight you cant win and you stand to lose much.

"Mom, just be happy. If you need anything I am always here, I love you." thats it, THAT IS IT. Even if it is strange or even if you dont like the guy...even if the guy is an ass/felon/mooch/whatever. Let it go. It is her choice not yours, no matter if she gets it right or not.

5. Big Time

Big Time Senior User

Jan 13, 2002
    Columbus, Georgia
    Relaxe son,everything will be ok.:whistling:

6. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

May 2, 2010
    Midwest
    Wtf!!! Really?

7. Andy W

Andy W

Dec 4, 2006
    Kansas
    I can't believe your mom told you she was "staying with him tonight." That doesn't always mean what I immediately thought but still... I would feel very awkward if my mom told me she was staying over at some guy's house.

8. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

May 2, 2010
    Midwest
    Exactly! You understand the weirdness.

9. Andy W

Andy W

Dec 4, 2006
    Kansas
    Yeah, my mom got married and had a kid when I was 18 years old. It was VERY weird at first. I got used to it thought.

10. Rabbi

Dec 18, 2004
    San AntonioTexas
    Yes really. There is nothing to be gained and much to lose by sticking your nose in the love lives of other people (adults) be it your kids, your mother, your friends.

You can be there for her. You can respond to her questions. Other than that, anything unsolicited could bite you hard.

It doesnt matter how you feel. This is not about you.

11. No, not really. The post to which you refer is wrong.

You have a right to express an opinion to your mom. She will hear you and you just might be the person to whom she listens. Somebody (you?) needs to reset her compass.

Yes, it is weird. And wrong.

There is such a thing as morality and propriety in the world, even if GTrs can't see it.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  12. Rabbi

Dec 18, 2004
    San AntonioTexas
    I think most people understand it....It is "weird" to you(or most anyone in that situation)...but you have to seriously understand, this is not about you.

13. Rabbi

Dec 18, 2004
    San AntonioTexas
    Yeah, that is always a good thing, preaching subjective morals to your mother.

14. Andy W

Andy W

Dec 4, 2006
    Kansas
    If I were in your mom's shoes, I don't think I would share that info with my kid. It would just make both of us feel really awkward. When people our age say we are going to sleep over at our girlfriend/boyfriend's place, it's understood what we are probably doing. For that reason, it's weird to hear it coming from a parent.

I think my weird situation involving my mom was even weirder though. My mom's boyfriend, whom she later married and had a kid with as mentioned previouslt, moved in with us and I could actually hear them doing stuff at night occasionally. Then there was the time I had to go into her room and get something and I happened to see a something discarded in the trash that I didn't ever want to see in my mom's room.

15. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

May 2, 2010
    Midwest
    I can't agree with you on this rabbi! This is my mom! She steered me in the right direction for 18 plus years and I wouldny let her be with some ex con, felon, cho mo ect.

16. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

May 2, 2010
    Midwest
    I feel the same way but apparently she doesn't care.

17. Hines57

Hines57 Simple Member

Jan 17, 2001
    On the road
    Do you still live at home? If so, I can see why she would tell you if she wasn't coming home. (and get out of her house and on your own)
    19 years is long enough, mom deserves to be happy. I wish my mom would meet someone. Rabbi is right. Your mom is a big girl, she can make her own choices. Be supportive, if asked offer an opinion.

18. G30Mike

G30Mike Say When!

Nov 19, 2008
    St. Joseph MO
    Rabbi is right in one way. If you don't like the guy and she does, you can talk to her until your face is blue and she wont listen. Everyone makes up their own mind about who they want to be with no matter who says what about the person. If you end up not liking him and you make comments to her about him, its only going to drive a wedge between you and mom.

With that said, at least give the guy a chance, which it sounds like you will. She's obviously been seeing him long enough to like him enough to spend the night with him, and by the sound of it, your mom is a respectable lady and not just hopping in bed with some dude.

Now, if he's a scumbag, your mom will figure it out soon enough and drop him. Especially if he's an ahole to you or your brother. She said he has his own Glock, could be you just found yourself a new shooting buddy.
    Good luck to you and your mom, and hopefully he's a great guy! Stay safe! :D

19. You could look him up on one of those websites that checks criminal history etc.

20. AA#5

AA#5

Nov 26, 2008
    I understand it too. And it's beyond weird.