My McAfee will expire soon.....and...

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by racer11, Oct 9, 2012.

1. I want to use microsoft security essentials.

Can I still use my firefox ?

Can I download MSE before my McAfee expires without any conflicts ?

Should I forget MSE and just renew my Mcafee ?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Dumped Mcafee, loaded MSE Tech Talk Oct 14, 2012
    Mcafee Blank Screen Tech Talk Oct 10, 2011
    McAfee Security Center Corrupted Tech Talk Jun 28, 2007
    McAfee expiring, renew or change to other Tech Talk Dec 15, 2006
    eEye Warns of Worm Hole in McAfee Anti-virus Products Tech Talk Aug 5, 2006

3. michael_b

michael_b BRC #1492

MS security essentials is fine. AVG Free Edition is better.

Uninstall McAfee before installing the new antivirus. Running two at once can cause conflicts.

4. Michael_b

Do I half to keep renewing the avg all the time to keep it active ?
  5. JBnTX

JBnTX Texas

AVG free edition can't be beat.

You don't have to renew it.
    Just install it and let it work.
    #4 JBnTX, Oct 9, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
  6. Dump Mcafee asap and go with something else. Uninstalling it first will be best. I suggest AVG before MSE, but thats just my preference. If you want paid antivirus, go with Eset, you wont be disappointed. You wont have to renew your AVG. Just have to upgrade it yearly, which is free.
  7. John Rambo

John Rambo Raven

MSE won some big nerd award that lots of nerds around our offices talked about. That must be good, I think.

Also, I run it on all my computers and install it on any client computer who qualify for it but opt not to purchase a managed AV client.

MSE is pretty durm good. Its hassle free and has a really good virus database - not much gets by it. I'd recommend it to you in a heartbeat. Do NOT pay for antivirus software unless you're licensing it and managing it from a central server for your business. All that crap like McAfee, takes over your computer. Becomes as bad as the virus itself. Hell, some of it is almost impossible for an end-user to uninstall on their own. Just a waste of your money.

MSE and be done with it. The best virus protection is between your ears.
    #6 John Rambo, Oct 9, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
  8. Ok,,,AVG it is...

Whats the link to it or something like that?.

Thanks guys
  9. JBnTX

JBnTX Texas

Get it here.....[ame=";pop"]AVG AntiVirus Free 2013 - CNET[/ame]

Make certain to remove ALL the McAfee garbage from your computer by using the McAfee Removal Tool. You'll have problems if you don't.

#8 JBnTX, Oct 10, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
  10. Also, please do advanced installation and disable everything except identity protection and link scanner. I would almost say link scanner too, iv had issues with it at a college I worked at. Sucked fixing it because when the issue was found, we had already pushed out that Win7 image to a ton of pcs. The email scanning feature can cause issues with Outlook.
  11. Pierre!

Pierre! NRA Life Member

That's one of the reasons I really like and recommend MS Security Essentials to my clients.

It's light, fast, and works...

I got tired of Avast or AVG 'doggin' my system. MS Security Essentials is good at not being noticeable.

The firewall in Win Vista or 7 is plenty robust. Really just need to be prepared with Malewarebytes for malware issues, MS Security Essentials for Virus, and ALWAYS run your UAC (User Account Control) at the highest level.

Most of my clients that got 'hacked' had been advised that they didn't need the UAC - and that is a big mistake...

Happy Shopping,
  12. Yup. I stopped suggesting AVG, especially as it really got bloated and slow there for a while (may have changed by now), MSE works great.