close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

My LnL came back today.

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Colorado4Wheel, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Nov 2, 2006
    CO
    I'm not going to sugar coat it. This sucks. They did everything they said they would do but it still doesn't work right. The cases that line up right in front of the V block go in smooth as butter. If they fall outside the block a bit they will get pushed in fine. If they fall to far out the case rim gets caught in the new groove they cut in the sub-plate and never line up with the shellplate. So it's better but still not right. Priming is still not working with CCI. They prime high and require too much force. Federal prime easy and nice and low. CCI don't.

I don't know what I am going to do. This is depressing to be honest.

2. whenmonkeysfly

whenmonkeysfly CLM

Jul 11, 2006
    Florida
    That SUCKS! I almost bought a LnL, but went with a XL-650 instead. Sounds like I probably made a good choice.

I am interested in Hornady's Bullet Feeder though and wonder how it works with a 650...?

3. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

Jun 12, 2002
    North Carolina
    [sarcasm off] Sorry it's not working out well. [sarcasm on]

4. unclebob

unclebob

Oct 14, 2000
    Mary Esther FL
    I have two friends that have the RCBS bullet feeders that they use on their 650 presses. Of what I have seen of the two bullet feeders I think I would get the RCBS but use the Hornady bullet seater.

5. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Nov 2, 2006
    CO
  6. Three-Five-Seven

Three-Five-Seven Señor Mombo Millennium Member

Aug 8, 1999
    Great Southwest
    Call Hornady in stead of bringin' yer *****in' here.

7. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Nov 2, 2006
    CO
    Nice. I have been doing that for months now.

8. oldsoldier

oldsoldier

Jun 22, 2008
    MO
    You've put more than enough effort into this press. Might be time to ask for your money back and move on to something else.

9. sellersm

sellersm disciplinare

May 28, 2009
    CO
    Bummer. Sorry to hear that....

I completely understand *why* a press might have issues with a particular brand of primer (or any other component), but it still irks me when they do....

It makes you have to keep a scorecard:
    - Lee likes CCI and not Federal
    - Hornady likes Federal and not CCI
    - Dillon likes 'em all (??? I don't own a Dillon so not sure)
    - etc. etc.

Yowzer. And this is supposed to be a relaxing hobby? :dunno:

10. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker Jacks #1 Fan

Mar 6, 2003
    Lynnwood, WA
    Steve, why don't you simply call Horandy and relay what you have here in regards to the repaired press. Tell them you are not satisfied for the above reasons and request a new one?
    Do you honestly feel the particular press you got is a lemon or the design is the problem?

11. dudel

dudel

Dec 10, 2008
    Texas Hill Country
    Man that stinks. I wonder what primer they used to test the press with? Of course, you've probably got several thousand CCI primers. groan.

Might be time to cut your losses and get the 650.

I was soooooo close to getting a LNL at the end of last year. My luck was that they were sold out. Must be a lemon, they can't all have that problem. You can go back and forth with Hornady (I'm sure they will continue to work with you); but in the mean time, you need to get ammo made.

Bummer.

12. Angry Fist

Angry Fist The Original® Lifetime Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Hellbilly Hill
  13. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Nov 2, 2006
    CO
    The case-feeder/case shuttle sucks with 9mm brass shot out of my gun. Not sure how to explain it but the brass from my glock does not slide on the case but rocks on the primer flow around the firing pin strike. Dillon has a nice case retainer that is caliber specific and holds the edge of the case and allows the primer flow area to ride in a channel. This setup would solve all my issues with the LnL's case feeder setup.

Hornady admits that the LnL does not have the same leverage as the 650. So it takes more force to seat the primers. I can seat the CCI on the LnL if I use a nice snap at the end of the stroke to seat the primer. This tends to cause the case to jam rather then go into the shellplate. Federal seat easier to it's just not a issue at all.

I never had a issue with my 550 seating these very same primers.

14. AA#5

AA#5

Nov 26, 2008
    FWIW, CCI primers are slightly oversize. I prime with a Hornady Hand Priming Tool & when I use CCI primers, they do fit right (slightly below flush) but it takes more effort than Federal primers.

15. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

Jan 3, 2009
    Smyrna, GA
    I have a 550B... out of the 33,000 of 9mm I've reloaded, probably 20,000 were CCI. I use Federal mostly now, but still have some CCI I load also. I do not see much of a difference in "pressure" I have to apply with the handle. If any, the Federal is a slight bit easier, but it's certainly not much.

The cases don't care, not sure what would be different about the press ?

16. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Nov 2, 2006
    CO
    When I measure my CCI and Federal they are practically the same.

17. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker Jacks #1 Fan

Mar 6, 2003
    Lynnwood, WA
    I understand what your saying... but that sucks...

Have you found others that have encountered the problems you have in your research to find a fix?

Just staying, with everyone singing the LNL praises over the last year. I would be surprised that no one else shooting a Glock loading CCI's has had the same issue. :dunno:

If it were the Case Horandy should at least help you validate you claim or put a "DO NOT USE WITH GLOCK CASES AND CCI PRIMERS" on the side of the box.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
  18. sellersm

sellersm disciplinare

May 28, 2009
    CO
    Steve, I don't recall, but have you mentioned this to Hornady? Perhaps they need a redesign of their retainer/holder/thingy?

I guess at this point it's time to decide how much more time/energy/$$$$/lost-money you want to invest..... Perhaps a decision matrix? Or some kind of evaluative criteria? At the end of the day, if it's not working for you, then what good is it?