close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

My LNL AP arrived today

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by DoctaGlockta, Dec 30, 2009.

1. DoctaGlockta

DoctaGlockta
    Expand Collapse

Well it came today. Will be unboxing tonight and degreasing the powder throw after that. I was wondering if anyone had a list of extra parts and bits that I might think about ordering? Also anything else I may want to think about doing that Hornady doesn't cover in their video series for the LNL. So far I have a couple of shell holders and extra bushings to allow for 3 caliber changes. Thanks.

Art

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. GioaJack

GioaJack
    Expand Collapse
    Conifer Jack

Call Hornady, as for the technical guys, tell them that after you operate the machine for a while your powder measure starts to turn and doesn't throw a charge. They'll send you a very thin shim that you put between the rubber gasket and the base of the bushing. (Not all of the measures turn but if you tell them yours does you'll already have the shim if you need it. I used to be a Boy Scout... I'm always prepared.)

Order a three pack of shell plate springs, about 4 bucks from Midway, you may never need them but nice to have in case you do.

Other than that there's really nothing else you need unless you want to use the Powder Cop die... I use them on both my LNL's. Get them from Midway too... a lot less than Hornady.

Jack

3. DoctaGlockta

DoctaGlockta
    Expand Collapse

Perfect Jack. Just what I needed. I'm going to dive into your book this weekend. Happy New Year.

4. GioaJack

GioaJack
    Expand Collapse
    Conifer Jack

Art:

If you have any problems or questions PM me... I'll be around, I don't have a life. :crying:

Jack

5. Bob2223

Bob2223
    Expand Collapse
    Jack's buddy!

Congrats on your LNL !
    If you do order a couple retainer springs might as well get a spare indexing pawl. I haven't needed one but have a spare just in case.

Bob

6. dudel

dudel
    Expand Collapse

Extra parts... How bout a 550b. :supergrin:

J/K. Congrats on a fine press. Enjoy it safely.

If it's like my old Hornady Pro-jector (the precursor) it's massive and likes a very, very sturdy bench.

Don

7. Cobra64

Cobra64
    Expand Collapse
    Deals in Facts

Congrats on your LnL! Great machine.

At about load 800 of .45 ACP, I missed a Berdan primed case and destroyed the Zip Spindle die assembly consisting of these die parts:

Zip Spindle - 398567
    Headed Decap Pin - 396336
    Expander Decap Retainer (caliber specific)

It's also not a bad idea to have a spare Spring Case Retainer - 392363

8. shotgunred

shotgunred
    Expand Collapse
    reloading nut

some blue paint.:supergrin:

Just kidding enjoy your new press.

9. Three-Five-Seven

Three-Five-Seven
    Expand Collapse
    Señor Mombo
    Millennium Member

You definitely want to order the powder dump attachment, which allows you to empty the powder measure without removing it from the press. Very handy and cheap.

You also want to order a universal powder expander gizmo from these guys: http://powderfunnels.com/products.html. The hornady expanders don't work worth a shizzle for lead bullets.

10. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel
    Expand Collapse

Did you pay for those parts?

11. GioaJack

GioaJack
    Expand Collapse
    Conifer Jack

I believe the powder dump is more useful if you don't incorporate the included die bushings on the press.

If you have the powder measure attached to the bushing it's just a 1/8th twist, lift out the powder measure, pop off the lid, pour your powder back into the original container and replace the measure.

As with any other method you still want to lift the powder meter up several times just to make sure there are no stray grains lurking in the drum.

Just the way I do it... your procedure may be a better way.

I don't use any of the PTX's, Hornady or aftermarket, I just use the expander die... old dogs and new tricks... I'm still trying to figure out how to use a push button phone. :whistling:

Jack

12. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel
    Expand Collapse

I have never understood the difficulty people seem to have dumping powder. Pull the die on the Hornady or the toolhead on the Dillon. It takes almost no time at all and the powder goes out the meter a lot fast through that big hole in the top then any small hole in the bottom of the measure.

13. Glock21sf-miami

Glock21sf-miami
    Expand Collapse

Congrats! I've loaded around 2,000 .45 acp rounds on mine and love it!

14. Cobra64

Cobra64
    Expand Collapse
    Deals in Facts

That's what I do on my LnL, and cycle the action a few times to get out any leftover flakes.

15. DoctaGlockta

DoctaGlockta
    Expand Collapse

Well I finally found some time to set up the LNL. It is now mounted and the powder throw has been degreased. I have run a few rounds through the unit and have had considerable difficulty with the priming system. The slider arm locks in the back position often. Also the indexing system seems to be off a bit. Once in a while a case will jam and not properly fit into the resize/deprime or the belling die.

16. n2extrm

n2extrm
    Expand Collapse

Sorry to hear your troubles Docta, I am sure it is an adjustment. I don't know the press sorry. Jack should be by I believe he knows the press well and can help, or send him a PM. Good luck, I am sure shortley you will smilling and cranking them out.

Don't tell Jack, but I have had few things give me trouble on my 550. Things out of adjustment and some user error or a little dirt here or there. They are all machines red, blue or green. They all do it. Good luck.

17. kcbrown

kcbrown
    Expand Collapse

See, if you'd gotten a Lee Loadmaster then you would have expected trouble, and the experience would therefore have been much more pleasant! :tongueout:

Hopefully you'll be able to make it run smoothly and reliably. Hornady is supposed to have good customer service so if you can't get it to work properly on your own then they should be able to fix you up.

18. GioaJack

GioaJack
    Expand Collapse
    Conifer Jack

Art:

If the indexing timing is off simply adjust the timing pawls... the instruction manual covers this pretty clearly. I haven't had to do it on either of mine, they came perfectly times but the adjustment is simple.

There's pretty much nothing that can seriously go wrong with the priming system, it is actually very simplistic and straight forward. There are some visual deficiencies in the design however... especially for those of us with more 'mature' eyes.

There are two different primer tubes, (not the pick up tubes) that look identical, one for SP and one for LP. If you install the small tube with the LP punch it will fall into the primer slide and cause dragging or total jam.

Double check to make sure you have the primer slide return spring installed correctly, it's easiest with a pair of needle nose pliers, especially if you have ham hock fingers like me.

If both of your primer slides are dragging or locking back then something is out of adjustment. If only one is locking back you possibly have a burr somewhere on the slide and it would be a simple matter to smooth out the affected area.

I use no lube on mine what-so-ever and they function smooth as glass. If you continue to have problems give Hornady a call... they'll drop you new parts in the mail.

Good luck... let us know what happens.

Jack

19. Cobra64

Cobra64
    Expand Collapse
    Deals in Facts

I have the same problem, but only with small primers. The small primer primer feed plate has a slight camber (not perfectly flat) and so I think that may be the problem. As for lubricating these parts; since I rubbed graphite into the pores of the steel, the surfaces are slick, without attracting unwanted foreign substances.

Anyway, check out the flatness of the primer feed plate; I'd be interested in your findings. :)

20. Bob2223

Bob2223
    Expand Collapse
    Jack's buddy!

I polished the primer slides with some 1000 grit wet paper then used the Hornady dry lube.
    The timing was slightly off on my LNL but it was easy to adjust following the instructions.
    Like the crazy old man said, ah,, I mean Jack, call Hornady if your still having problems.

Bob