close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

My Latest 10mm Conversion -- a true pocket pistol!!!

Discussion in 'The 10 Ring' started by flyandscuba, Jul 7, 2010.

1. Here are some pics of my newly converted new-production (High Standard) AMT Backup from .40 S&W to 10mm. I still have to engrave the barrel with the new caliber, but you can see how the Double Tap 135 gr. Nosler JHP fits nicely into the magazine once the spacer has been removed. The fit & finish of these new High Standard-produced Backups are MUCH nicer than the old AMT stuff out of California. They have even added a thin stainless steel plate to the right side under the grip panel that covers the tigger bar linkage that was left exposed when AMT was making these.

It is a hand cannon and not for the recoil sensitive shooter!! The heavy trigger spring helps to retard the slide along with the recoil spring and dampens the recoil effectively. For an "up close and personal" deep concealment pistol, I believe this is the first TRUE pocket pistol in 10mm.

:wow:

Range reports to follow...

Regards,
    flyandscuba

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. _The_Shadow

_The_Shadow Ret. Fireman

Jul 23, 2007
    Southeast, LoUiSiAna
    Hey you need to chrono some of those from that < 3" barrel.

BTW who did the barrel for you? Was the chamber just cut deeper on 40S&W barrel?

Did you change recoil springs out? Give us the dirt here!

3. I don't have a chrono -- but I might need to invest in one...

A local gunsmith did the barrel work -- it was a simple reaming of the chamber to the 10mm cartidge dimension. I removed the mag spacer myself in about 30 seconds with a screwdriver. Minimal filing of the dimples that held the spacer in the mag was performed as well.

No change to the recoil spring. The heavy but smooth DAO hammer and spring actually assist the recoil spring to retard the slide and absorb the recoil.

As conversion projects go, this was a very simple one. If you had the patience, you could even do the reaming of the stainless steel chamber by hand if you have the proper reamer and "go" gauge.

Since this particular pistol is the same dimension for all of their caliber offerings (9mm, .38 Super, .357 Sig, .40 S&W, .45 ACP, and .400 Corbon) -- the hole in the barrel is larger or smaller depending upon the caliber, but the exterior dimensions of the barrel remain the same -- I have no doubt that the pistol can handle any commercially produced full-power 10mm loads.

However, I doubt that I will use anything greater than a 165 gr. bullets for carry loads to lessen the recoil.

4. _The_Shadow

_The_Shadow Ret. Fireman

Jul 23, 2007
    Southeast, LoUiSiAna
    Very cool! Thanks for sharing!

5. 69stingray

69stingray 427 ci

Nov 10, 2007
    North Alabama
    I like that! :cool:

I bet it does get your attention when you light one off. A recoil junkie could appreciate that. :supergrin:

Ray

6. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

Jan 26, 2001
    i had one of those in .45acp in the 90's, it was a jamomatic to say the least. i bought it because the .380 version i have was pretty good though a pita to field strip.

i would like to see a range report of sorts.

nice job on the conversion just the same.

7. A friend had the old .45acp model back in the '90's.
    Worst trigger I ever pulled.
    And the recoil was no fun.
    Except when it jammed.

I hope your 10mm is better!:cool:

8. Berto

Berto woo woo

Sep 15, 2003
    WA
    Looks fearsome, should make for an interesting conversation piece.

9. Bullman

Bullman Deranged Deputy

Oct 11, 2003
    SW Virginia
    Very interesting indeed. I would like to hear more, like a range report when you have put some more rounds through it, how reliable it is and that sort of thing.

10. Wow. Pocket 10mm pistol is as cool as a nuclear hand grenade. :shocked:

11. Aloxite

Aloxite Group W Bench

Jun 13, 2009
    The sound of those 135 grain Nosler Doubletaps cooking off in an indoor range would sure turn some heads. Of course most people would probably have hit the deck after the first one thinking the building just exploded.

12. Bullman

Bullman Deranged Deputy

Oct 11, 2003
    SW Virginia
    I would question the durability a little except that High Standard chambers it in .400 CorBon themselves, that puts up some impressive numbers close to 10mm, but I don't think it is quite as much pressure. That is quite a rocket you have, it is really making me think because that is definetly the way I am going in carry guns right now.

13. Angry Fist

Angry Fist Dehumanizer® Lifetime Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Hellbilly Hill
    I hope the gun can handle it! Awesome project... the perfect BUG. :thumbsup:

14. Here's a size comparison with my current EDC CCW -- a 9mm Rohrbaugh R9S. When pocket size allows, and the need for maximum power exists -- this hand cannon is certainly capable of pocket carry. If the 135 gr. DT's can get 1450 fps or so out of the 3 1/8" barrel -- they'll still be very respectable for SD use.

The pressure is much less in the .400 Corbon. That may be why the High Standard engineers went that route rather than 10mm. If this project will hold up long enough to assure reliable function with the full power loads, it will be a success in my book. At that point, it will be loaded up with whatever loading works best during the testing and then carried much and shot very little. It will not be a frequent shooter for the range. All I'll really need it to do is survive for 6 to 11 more rounds should a self defense situation arise.

If it is called upon for that -- and it works, it will have been worth the investment and then can be retired to 10mm "Lite" duty and another one converted for carry.

[​IMG]

15. Aloxite

Aloxite Group W Bench

Jun 13, 2009
    Wow, that's small. Ya know, there is one way to look at this conversion that really makes me feel very good about how it can handle the round.

The 10mm case has more volume than the 40 cal case. For any given power level that will mean a lower pressure. Assuming that you are handloading appropriate ammo for this pistol it would seem like the 10mm is the better chambering. Since the conversion doesn't increase the size of the pistol then I really can't see a downside.

16. Here's a sampling of pressures from Wiki for the various factory offerings in the BackUp:

9mm = 34,084 max psi
    38 Super = 36,500 max psi
    .357 Sig = 40,000 max psi
    .40 S&W = 32,633 max psi
    400 Corbon = 29,000 max psi
    45 ACP = 21,000 max psi

So, the 37,500 max psi of the 10mm conversion falls between the factory offering of the .40 S&W and the .357 Sig, giving me more confidence that the conversion should hold up for the intended purpose.

17. nickE10mm

nickE10mm F.S.F.O.S.

Apr 13, 2004
    Wichita, KS
    Wow! Really neat little project there... Looking forward to the range report.

Please be safe, though, buddy. I sure hope that little guy doesn't blow up on ya. WEAR YOUR SAFETY GLASSES AND GLOVES, would be my suggestion.

18. Bullman

Bullman Deranged Deputy

Oct 11, 2003
    SW Virginia
    Another good round to shoot out of this conversion might be the 230 grain Equalizer from Doubletap. I don't think it is quite as hot as some of their stuff so as to keep the leading down from the 95 grain led ball behind that 135 grain Nosler.

19. Great idea Bullman! Plus, up close & personal -- you'll get two holes with each shot...totaling 12 out of one mag. Who could ask for more in a near contact self defense gun! I'm going to order some right now!

20. cheez

cheez

Nov 21, 2008
    Georgetown, TN
    Wicked little piece of machinery right there.