Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

My issue with purchasing a 1911

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by ColbyoneKenobie, Apr 6, 2012.

1. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oct 23, 2000
    California & New Mexico, US
    Oh really? What does a 21st Century M1911 has that the original doesn't have? Let me guess, front slide serration, beavertail safety, fence border checkering front straps...

Did the swinging barrel link design change? Did the barrel bushing design change? Did the trigger mechanism change?
  2. TN.Frank

TN.Frank Glock4Life

Oct 11, 2004
    Avondale, AZ.
    I think we've already answered that for you. It's so a man on horse back can reholster the pistol safely until he can get a chance to get off of the horse and lower the hammer to Condition 2, which is the way that JMB intended the gun to be carried.

NO, he did not, his original design(as you can see from the pic I posted) had NO thumb safety, he intended for the gun to be carried in Condition 2, hammer down, loaded chamber, that's why it has an inertia firing pin, so it'd be safe in Condition 2. The ONLY reason that the Thumb Safety was added was at the request of the Military, if they'd not have insisted on it then all of the 1911's that we'd have today WOULD NOT have a Thumb Safety at all.

Here's a link that talks about it in a bit more detail

Col. Jeff Cooper is the man we have to thank for coming up with the Cocked n' Locked carry idea. It was just a happy coincidence that the 1911 lends it's self so well to Condition 1.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2012

3. JD_19x9

Apr 23, 2012
    Central Ohio
    OK, JMB didn't originally design it that way. Most firearms go through version changes to make them better. JMB put together a great pistol and got feedback from users and like most good designers do, tried to incorporate changes into the next version.

The OP stated...

He was asking for feedback from the forum. I gave him my opinion, which is a very common opinion from most 1911 owners that I know. I appreciate the historical account of the 1911 design, but it doesn't matter. The most efficient way to carry or use TODAY'S 1911 is Condition 1. If today's 1911 was intended to be carried in Condition 2 it would be a DA/SA and have a decocker. If you are going to carry Condition 3, good luck with that...

And yes, thank you Jeff Cooper...
  4. TN.Frank

TN.Frank Glock4Life

Oct 11, 2004
    Avondale, AZ.
    I personally think if the OP would simply get a 1911 and go out and shoot it, it'd become second nature for him to snick off the safety once the gun is on target. I've shot for so long I don't even think about such things anymore, it just naturally happens.
    Not to digress but my wife is wanting to get her CCW and she'll be shooting my 642 with some light handloads. I want to get her out and let her get back into it since she's not shot in a few years. I was thinking about what I'd say to her as far as tips for shooting but I'm sure there are things that are so second nature to me that I'd forget a lot of information. Still, I guess I'll just have to muddle through and see if she remembers most of the stuff she learned all those years ago.

I think if the OP will practice he'll quickly get use to the feel of the gun and all the things that go with shooting the 1911. Especially once he gets a feel of that nice SA trigger pull. :cool: