close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

My (inglorious) Beretta Nano Experience

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by MrGlock21, Jun 26, 2012.

1. MrGlock21

MrGlock21

Apr 16, 2001
    North Texas
    I really like the Nano, as it feels like a “full size pistol” when shooting hundreds of rounds in one session. Well built frame, robust structure, practical sights, nice ergonomics, and I’m actually OK with the trigger which feels like a true DA trigger. I was excited from the very beginning. And I shoot it well and accuratly out to 25 yrds.

At the range, however, the excitement shrunk dramatically, when I experienced several FTEject problems with the usual bulk 115gr ammo as well as quality 115gr ammo. That was after 400 rounds.

Back at the desk I did a little research and dug through a lot of internet pages including the Beretta forum, and I learned that I am not alone. Many Berettians suggested to mind the 'usual break in' procedure without telling with how many rounds a break in period was supposed to remedy the problem.

More strikingly, the conventional wisdom was - well supported by a Beretta rep - that the Nano requires quality ammo, preferably 124gr ammo or heavier.

OK, since I really like that thing, I’m putting up with that shaky argument and order 400 rounds 124gr ammo of different brands.

Boohooo. At the range I realized that the 124gr ammo was more reliable but I still had way too many FTFs to be a happy camper.

So I contacted Beretta CS and I got a reply within 48 hours. The communication was conducted professionally and no nonsense excuses were given. I got a call tag, UPS picked it up, and off the Nano went to the Beretta shop.

After 9 days it came back with the comment: “ Replaced extractor and extractor spring. Polished chamber. Oiled and test fired 30rds of Win 115gr FMJ ammunition with no malfunctions.” (Hmmm…why test fire it with Win 115gr ammo when it had been suggested that only 124gr and heavier would work. :headscratch:)

I put it to the test in two shooting sessions, 400 round each, with all kinds of ammo. During the first session I had 2 malfunctions, one with 147gr Win and one with crappy under-powdered Federal Wally stuff.

During the second session, I had 0 malfuctions, running Gold Dots on the higher end and FMJ Win White box and stuff like brass Monarch on the lower end.

I don’t know what the future brings for my very pistol. The testing/practising will go on, but for now my confidence in the Nano is restored and I have no hesitation packing it.

And Kudos for Beretta CS, thank you Beretta Customer Servise!

Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  2. amacro

amacro

Dec 26, 2010
    Central Florida
    I also have had FTE with my Nano shooting 115 grain ammo, otherwise it's my new favorite daily carry at work or back up to my G19 on weekends evenings etc. I think of it as my single stack Glock the company never made.:wavey:

3. esh325

esh325

Sep 28, 2011
    Good it went well. I don't think I would have had the patience you did. For me, one malfunction is too much when I'm talking about a brand new auto loader with new factory ammo.

4. Berto

Berto woo woo

Sep 15, 2003
    WA
    What is the recoil spring replacement interval?

5. jb1911

jb1911

Sep 21, 2011
    I sold my Nano because I couldn't trust it. I carry a G26 that is 100% reliable.

6. MrGlock21

MrGlock21

Apr 16, 2001
    North Texas
    I hear you, and usually I would not put up with malfunctions but get rid of the troublemaker.

But since I really like this gun I was hoping for repair.

7. MrGlock21

MrGlock21

Apr 16, 2001
    North Texas
    Hmmm... good question...haven't gotten an answer yet.

8. MrGlock21

MrGlock21

Apr 16, 2001
    North Texas
    The appeal of the Nano comes from the fact that - for me - it works as a pocket pistol, the baby Glock doesn't.

Interestingly, all of my PF9s are 100% reliable, after 800 rounds fired each, but they are not as shootable as the Nano.

9. shootingrn

shootingrn

Nov 5, 2007
    Misery
    Glad to hear about the good cs. If you read about the Walther PPS there are alot of people who suggest 124 grain ammo. I wonder if it is something to do with the small size of the guns? Seems like a possible correlation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Bruce M

Bruce M

Jan 3, 2010
    S FL
    Good to hear they took care of the problem quickly.

11. HexHead

HexHead

Jul 16, 2009
    Kimber Solo manual even states to only shoot quality 124 gr SD ammo, even for practice.

They even go so far as to specify Golden Saber, Gold Dots or Hydra-Shoks.

12. hsprincipal

hsprincipal

Nov 19, 2011
    Kentucky
    Sorry to hear... My Nano has about 400 rounds total and so far has had no issues.

13. Dexters

Dexters

May 3, 2004
    ga

So what is the total price of the gun?

Purchase price + 400 rounds or whatever number of rounds is recommended?

14. Andrewsky

Andrewsky

May 28, 2004
    I'm not convinced that locked breech handguns with short barrels are sound designs.

Hardly any of them have any awesome reputation for reliability.

15. Dawolf

Dawolf

Sep 18, 2010
    Arizona
    Either I am lucky or I got one that was made well. i have all kinds of ammo through it. It is most accurate with Hornady Critical Defense, but it shot a 100 rounds of Tula without a hiccup. I put Talons on it and it is now my official B.U.G.

16. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oct 23, 2000
    California & New Mexico, US
    I have yet to see any micro 9mm that truly work well.

17. Bob Hafler

Bob Hafler

Sep 13, 2011
    Seems you do hear a lot problems with small 9mm and 380's but I have to say the PM9 I bought it 2010 has been everything I hoped it would be. "O" problems.

18. tedwhite

tedwhite Millennium Member

Sep 26, 1999
    Bisbee Arizona USA
    My Nano, which is now about 2 weeks old, has about 200 rounds through it, both 115 and 147 grain and not one malfunction. So it's now my daily off-duty carry. I bought it because it is slim and single stack and smooth on each side. And pocketable.

19. Jim123_321

Jim123_321

Aug 31, 2009
    South Florida
    I got one as well, and have the same issues as you posted about,
    No one really knowes what is going on with the pistol, About 90% of the complaints
    seem to be fixed by locking the slide back for a week,

The newer ones seem to be running great, Im in the 2,500 range on serial numbers,

Ive been using 115 grain ammo and 124 grain reloads, Still had the problem with the higher load, Just waiting to see what happens in the future, great gun I do like it,
    I plan on keeping it at this point, It just hides so nice on the hip, Would love to carry
    the G26"s, but its just way to hot in Florida,

IWB the 26 is great, The nano is just easier to hide away

Jim

20. Dawolf

Dawolf

Sep 18, 2010
    Arizona
    Reason I switched (26 to nano) as it is way too hot in AZ in he Summer, too.