close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

My house was broken into today

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by VinnieD, Apr 26, 2012.

1. VinnieD

VinnieD

I came home today to find my door kicked in. I drew my carry piece and investigated. The perps were long since gone, and so were my TV, my Wii, and 3 of my long guns including my favorite shotgun. I will miss that Mossberg.

Needless to say I'm furious. I live in a rural area to get away from this sort of thing but trouble seems to find me. As no one will be home but me for the next few days, I need to stay home and stand guard now against a repeat.

Thankfully spared were my computer, scanner, and art supplies, my Mosin nagant, my Heritage Arms Rough Rider .22, swords, knives, ammo, and various other electronics.

I am gathering serial numbers on the stolen goods, along with detailed descriptions. I'm also beefing up the home defense. After fixing the door, I'm reinforcing the frame, adding an extra deadbolt, an alarm loud enough that neighbors can hear, an outdoor camera, and my own personal touch of fishing hooks hanging in the windows.

Some people feel afraid, or violated. Me, I'm just angry. Probably angrier than I've ever been. Most of all I just want that shotgun back. It sickens me to think of MY gun being used for evil purposes.

2. Javelin

Javelin Got Glock? Silver Member

Darn that is terrible!!!!

Can the police do anything?

3. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348 Happy Member

Did they break into your gunsafe??

4. VinnieD

VinnieD

I've already talked with the local sheriff. They can put a watch on the serial numbers of my stolen property. (the robbers were dense enough to steal only things with serial numbers that can be tracked.) so if they try to pawn them, they come back to me and crooks get caught. Otherwise they're ill equipped for any heavy investigation. I'll keep pushing this and hope to get my property back.

I miss that shotgun.

5. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

Man I'm sorry, hopefully they catch the scumbags!

6. jp3975

jp3975

Sorry to hear that.

There's a thread on here somewhere about reinforcing your home against such things. Vault like steel doors and my fav was bars on the windows that where styled to blend in with the window so you cant even tell the window has bars.

7. KIMFAB

KIMFAB Kangaroo tooth

Good idea beefing up security, don't wait to put up the cameras.

A friend of mine was robbed on a Monday and they came back Thursday and finished cleaning him out.

8. VinnieD

VinnieD

I'm thinking of doing something to better secure the windows. For now some booby traps with nails and fishing hooks will do, but I'd like to improve on that. I was thinking maybe getting some decorative wrought iron sculpture and securing it to the window frame. That way I'd effectively have bars on the window, while actually improving the aesthetic and still allowing for airflow.

9. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

I think you need a moat surrounding your house with some gators in it and some chuck Norris dummy's in the yard.

:tongueout:

Just trying to lighten the mood with your bad situation.

:wavey:

10. Detectorist

Detectorist

So, you drew your piece and investigated. Did you search your house? If they were still there, you had no idea of how many and what type of weapons they had.

If you did go inside, bad move. Call the Cops. Don't put yourself in danger.

I'm sorry you got hit. I hope they catch them and try to resist arrest..

11. RCP

RCP

I'd love to see a link to that thread. Sorry about your misfortune OP I hope they catch the bastards and I hope you get your shotgun back.

12. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

Did you have a god home owners insurance.

:50cal:

13. Mister_Beefy

Mister_Beefy Legal & Proper

man that sucks. good luck getting your stuff back. seems to me like the likelihood of a return visit is high, so keep a look out.

be careful with booby traps, the 5-0 might not like that too much, and an injured burglar could sue you. the idea of attaching sculpture is interesting, however.

yeah, because you'll never be professional enough to protect yourself or your home. :rofl:

14. Kevin108

Kevin108 file_id.diz

Prices on guns safes seem outrageous until you realize that if it prevents just one quality pistol from being stolen, it's paid for itself.

15. moishlashen

moishlashen Senile Member

D'Ok :upeyes:

Sorry you got hit bud-along with the obvious stuff stolen the feeling of scumbags in your house was the hardest thing for me to get over. I would seriously look into a gun safe if you don't have one.

16. teumessian_fox

teumessian_fox

Depending upon how "rural" the OP's home really is, his home can't be truly secured against determined thieves. I've heard of bars on windows. I've also heard of thieves hooking a chain to the bars and using a truck to yank it out.

I've got a friend/acquaintence in just such a situation. His farmhouse is isolated and he's gone most of the time. He's a repeated target for thieves. He installed a security system complete with video feed but the thieves shut off his electricity before they broke in (the last time).

I don't know what the answer is.

17. Deployment Solu

Deployment Solu Kydex Crafter

Several large dogs would be a great start.

18. moishlashen

moishlashen Senile Member

True-although any dog that can bark is a huge deterrent.

19. OctoberRust

OctoberRust Anti-Federalist

man, hate to hear that. Glad you're ok though.

Did you have a gun safe? If not, fork up 500-600$ for an entry level one with a good combo lock, and bolt that sucker to the ground.

I got my sentrysafe combo lock for 500$ shipped and is a 14 gun safe.

20. Jake514

Jake514

FYI - if you install burglar bars, it is a good idea to make sure you can unlock them with a key from the inside so you are not trapped if a fire occurs.