close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

My Gen 4 Glock 17 Story so far

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by tbone1971, Apr 9, 2012.

Tags:
  1. tbone1971

tbone1971

New guy here, so thanks for having me.

Last October, I bought my very first pistol, a Gen4 Glock 17. I loved the way it shot and I found it to be extremely accurate, but unfortunately, I was getting hit with brass in the face, chest, and head about 20-30% of the time.

First I was using WWB from W-Mart because it was the cheapest I could find, locally. I got on the magical interwebs and found that my problem could be caused by cheap/weak ammo. Switched to more expensive brands, heavier bullets, hotter loads. All to no avail.

I also read a lot about people "limp-wristing". So, I practiced my grip. Hand high on the grip, wrist straight and locked, arm straight and locked. Strangled the hell out of the thing. No change.

In the meantime, I purchased a Ruger SR9c, SR22 Pistol, and a Firesorm 380. All shoot flawlessly. No problems at all. I've also been fortunate enough to shoot other people's guns at the local range (S&W 686, M&P 9mm Compact and full-size, M&P 45, Glock 36, Springfield Xdm 9mm Compact, Diamondback 9mm, Ruger LCP, Ruger LCR 357 Hog, S&W 642, Ruger SR1911, EAA Witness 45, and Glock 22) and have had NO issues with any of those weapons.

After a couple of months, I started to find people on here talking about the new ejector (30274) for the 9mm Gen4's. I didn't really want to send the gun back to Smyrna, so I waited and continued to shoot my gun, hoping that it would work itself out after a "break-in period". Well, after 2000 + rounds, that never happened.

I called Glock and was told that I needed to find a local Glock Armorer to order the new ejector that would fix the problem. After much searching, I found one about an hour away. I dropped the gun off to the shop and was told that they'd order the part and give me a call. After a week, I called back and was told that they couldn't find my gun and MAYBE the certified Glock Armorer that took it in might have taken it home with him to work on. I was pissed, but gave it another week.

After another week passed, I called back and was told that they still didn't know where my gun was, and that maybe the guy had it with him at home (again) AND that no part had been ordered yet. I demanded that they find the pistol and call me back. They did finally call me back to say they found the gun, but they didn't know where their Armorer was and that he never came to work that day. Needless to say, I drove an hour to their shop and got my gun back.

Called Glock last week and told them the short version of the story and the tech I spoke to on the phone only replied, "What's your email address?". I had a prepaid shipping label in my email inbox within about 3 hours.

The gun has now been in Georgia for 4 days, hopefully getting the surgery it needs. I've asked for the new 30275 trigger housing (with 30274 ejector), new extractor, and latest RSA (mine was an 0-2-3, not the latest 0-2-4).

I want to love this gun! I'm really hoping Glock gets this right and makes my G17 "Perfect". Otherwise, there's a 9mm Walther PPQ that's been flirting with me that I might just be tempted to take home one night!

I'll update after I get my G17 back (which, hopefully, will be soon!)

2. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

Good luck, keep us posted

:50cal:

3. hoghunter82

hoghunter82 FL Glocker #182

If you got hit with brass from the revolvers you listed I would be VERY concerned. Kidding. Let's hope the trip to Glock fixes the issue. Keep us posted.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

4. tbone1971

tbone1971

That's hilarious, hogunter82! Sorry, I didn't even think about that when I was listing the other guns I've fired. Yeah, that'd be problematic, wouldn't it? Man! That guy's grip must be really screwed up!

Also, sorry to post yet another "my Gen4 9mm doesn't eject right" thread. But, non-members (which is what I was, just a few short minutes ago) can't search the forum, so it might be helpful (as it was to me) for someone else to see another story about this, and what was, or is being, done to solve the problem.

5. GLOCK17DB9

GLOCK17DB9

Good Luck. I'm sure Glock will take care of you. Keep us posted.:wavey:

6. Beanie-Bean

Beanie-Bean

Hang in there, tbone! You're quite the patient guy to trust those guys with your pistol to take home and work on, only to lose track of it.

I am hoping that Glock will take care of your G17, and that it'll be every bit as good as all of those other pistols you've shot.

Welcome to GT, and please keep us posted on your Glock's performance after it gets back home.

7. hoghunter82

hoghunter82 FL Glocker #182

No worries. Believe it or not, even after reading all this stuff about Glock problems, I am purchasing a Gen 4 tomorrow. I just can't decide on which 9mm (17, 19, 26). I guess there is comfort in knowing that you are not alone in your Gen 4 issues. At least there are some newer parts Glock can throw into your gun to see if it works. For what it's worth, I've given up on the lower powered 115gr ammo. I have no idea if I'll get a perfectly functioning Glock or not. But I am going to be darn sure it isn't an ammo issue.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

8. glocktecher

glocktecher

How does Glock continue to get away with this crud?

Are people that brainwashed?

Wow.

9. Impact10

Impact10

I have to say that I love my PPQ. It's my EDC.

10. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

And this relates to this thread how?

Btw op I hope you get Er figured out.

11. OrGlocker

OrGlocker

:whistling:

12. voyager4520

voyager4520 -----

Some Armorers have been waiting over a month and haven't yet received the 30275 trigger housings they ordered.

If you still experience erratic ejection with the 30274 ejector, try replacing the extractor.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  13. tbone1971

tbone1971

Thanks, Voyager, I've asked Glock to replace the extractor at the same time they replace the ejector and the RSA, as mine wasn't the most current. If I get it back with everything replaced that I asked for, and it still pings me in the face, I probably won't mess with it anymore trying to fix it.

I'd rather not "trade" it for a PPQ, I'd rather "add" the PPQ to my growing collection and keep the 17. Truthfully, I'll probably buy a PPQ either way. What I may do is trade the G17 for a new G26 if it's still not right when I get it back. I like the versatility of the 26 (and the fact that I can actually conceal it). I haven't heard (or read) about nearly as many problematic G26's.

14. tbone1971

tbone1971

15. tbone1971

tbone1971

Yes, Impact10, I'm sure you do love your PPQ. I can't find anyone online that owns one and doesn't love it. I hope I love mine too.... when I can eventually afford to purchase one!

Still wanna love my G17 though!

16. tbone1971

tbone1971

Well, after 2 weeks and 1 day, I got my G17 back from Glock. Took it to the range Friday night and fired 50 rounds of S&B and 50 rounds of Fiocchi 115 grain rounds through it. NO brass hit me at all! No brass went past my head or anywhere near my body. All landed behind me and to the right, as they should.

I asked for the new 30274 ejector, new 0-2-4 RSA, and a new extractor, and got all three.

Went back on Saturday and fired another 150 rounds and same results. I think I can say the gun's fixed!

My accuracy has also improved. Not sure whether it's me practicing, or the new RSA, but the gun puts bullets exactly where I aim them. At 7 yds, I'm putting all rounds in a 2 to 3 inch group, without trying very hard. Nice!

I'm just now beginning to think I know why so many people love their Glocks so much.

17. tbone1971

tbone1971

And, btw, the extractor they installed is straight-edged, not dipped like the one that came with the gun, if that tells you anything.

18. 8th ID

8th ID

tbone--

Welcome! And congrats on the new 17. Glad to hear that Glock took care of it.:cool:

19. voyager4520

voyager4520 -----

Congrats!

The straight-edge extractor sounds very good, for a while recently it seems they've been sporadically using the old investment cast extractors(the good ones). With the "MIM"(dipped) extractors, sometimes people would have good ejection when that extractor was brand new but after a few hundred rounds it'd start ejecting erratically again. That suggests to me that the extractor wore down to result in the erratic ejection returning. Since your new extractor seems to be of the old investment cast type, you shouldn't have to worry about that.

With the "MIM" extractor that was in my G27, the claw became jagged and rough after only 200 rounds, and after 300 rounds the firing pin safety had worn a divot into the extractor, while the nickel plating on the firing pin safety was only slightly worn. These new extractors must be some pretty soft metal if they're softer than nickel plating.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  20. bam1131

bam1131

Glad to see that it didn't take too long to get your gun back from Smyrna. It seems that 99% of the time, Glock comes through for their loyal customers.