close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

My first Nighthawk and question on finish issue

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by quantim0, Feb 19, 2010.

1. quantim0

quantim0

Jan 12, 2006
    Fl
    Got this in a few days ago. A Talon from Nighthawk. The pistol overall is way smoother and better finished then the other 1911s I've had (Colt XSE commander, TRP, and Baer Concept VII). The slide is as smooth as glass and the trigger breaks clean and smooth with a touch of pretravel and zero creep. The gun is perfect in terms of machine marks and dehorning. It's tough to explain what makes this gun better then my others, but it's just a much higher quality gun overall.

My problem is the Permacoat on the rear of the slide. The rear is checkered to reduce glare and it does that very well for the most part. The problem is an area on the left of the checkering. It looks like the permacoat was applied too heavily and it filled in a lot of the depth the checkering has. That has caused that area of the slide to have significantly more glare in daylight then the rest of the slide, defeating the purpose of the checkering. I want to know if this is worth calling Nighthawk about and *****ing. I hope that they would be receptive and refinish the slide for me. I just want to make sure I'm not being unreasonable. The last two photos are an attempt to show the issue with the coating

Pictures
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. larry1096

larry1096

Oct 23, 2002
    Nope. If it really glares, scuff it lightly with a scotchbrite. But based on that target, I wouldn't so much as take that thing apart to clean it...

Larry

3. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    First off, congrats on the Nighthawk. It looks great.

Unless it was a huge problem in sunlight, I doubt I'd send it back. Still, I'm not the one that just paid over two grand for that pistol. I'd have to see it for myself.

I hate to say it, but I'm not a fan of Permakote. In my opinion, its one of the worst baked on finishes on the market, which is why both my Nighthawks are hard chromed.

[​IMG]

4. willowofwisp

willowofwisp

Jul 28, 2009
    Hmm question Bac but will you always opt for hard chrome over other finishes? like something as durable as ION bond?

5. quantim0

quantim0

Jan 12, 2006
    Fl
    I got the Permakote because I love the way a worn 1911 looks. There's just something about it to me. If I got hardchrome or diamond black I wouldn't get that joy. Plus I can always refinish it later. No big deal. When I get my carry gun, probably a Talon II bobtail, I'll have it done in a more impervious finish since it gets hot and sweaty down here. I don't want to worry about rust or other associated issues with the finish. Your hardchrome gun, Dominator(?), with the spalted maple grips is one of the best looking guns I have ever seen. Next to your RRA.

Regarding the rear of the slide, I think if the rest of the slide wasn't so impervious to glare, the small spot wouldn't be so noticeable. When you have a nice matte slide and one section glaring at you, it is noticeable to me. Plus it's on the back of the slide, I'll be seeing it a lot and I think it will drive me crazy.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2010
  6. beretta-neo

beretta-neo

Mar 11, 2009
    The Matrix
    I hear Larry at Nighthawk is very friendly. he is on 1 of the 1911 forums, and answers questions in the nighthawk section a lot.

For that kind of money, you should be satisfied. I'd call larry and speak to him about it if it bothers you

7. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    No.

I just don't like Permakote.

I have an ion bond 1911 and many other finishes.

8. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA

Sorry, my two are an Enforcer and Predator II.

[​IMG]

9. Rinspeed

Rinspeed JAFO

Feb 28, 2001
    NY
    Permakote has a horrible reputation, I have no idea why they still use it.

10. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg BTF Inventor

Jun 14, 2002
    My partner has a Nighthawk. Zero issues with the permakote. His gun isn't any more reliable or accurate than my loaded. It just looks better, sounds better, smells better, and feels better. Beautiful guns.

11. Rinspeed

Rinspeed JAFO

Feb 28, 2001
    NY

I hear that a lot that a $800 gun shoots just as well as a $2000 one. Just tells me that neither one of you know how to shoot. :tongueout:

12. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    :rofl:

Yeah, the Springfield Loaded and any of the Nighthawks are on opposite ends of the spectrum.

13. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA

Good question. :dunno:

14. quantim0

quantim0

Jan 12, 2006
    Fl
    If I had a guess it would be it's they have a decent amount of capital invested in the process. It's at the point where it may not be in their interest to switch to a more expensive coating.

I think with the reputation that Permakote has with some, it may be worth the money to improve it and come out with a new version. Maybe they're working on it now, who knows?

15. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
  16. GVFlyer

GVFlyer Senior Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Somewhere in the air.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Do these people actually believe what they're telling us or do they just want us to believe it?

17. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    I think they feel better by saying it whether they believe it or not.

18. Officer's Match

Officer's Match S.R.D. v

Jun 22, 2007
    Lancaster, Ohio
    Wouldn't hurt to call NH. I hear raves about their CS. I might be tempted to very gently brush along the grooves with a soft brush, maybe brass bristle, to try to even up the finish.

19. hikerpaddler

hikerpaddler

Mar 1, 2001
    USA
    My experience exactly. Let the internet rap battlers laugh. I'll take the real world any day.