close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

My First Mouse Gun - Sig P238

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by MNSurvival, May 12, 2012.

1. MNSurvival

MNSurvival
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Enthusiast

I have been contemplating purchasing a mouse gun for quite some time now, and my final choice had come down to either a Kahr Arms P380/PM9 or a Sig Sauer P238. Some might criticize this decision with the P938 slowly emerging on the market, and the .380 only penetrating 8''-11'' in many ballistic gel tests, but I was set on getting something that would fit my pocket best.

I tend to agree with the group that says a .380 in your pocket is better than a .40 Glock sitting at home.

The first gun I was seriously considering purchasing was the Kahr PM9, but after handling it, I too, like many others, did not prefer it as a pocket carrying pistol. I looked at the little brother (P380) and was almost certain I was going to be getting one. I then handled the P238 and this gun surprised me in many ways. I really like the trigger pull, the sights, and the way it feels in my pocket. My decision now became a lot harder.

So I was browsing along on Gun Broker and I found quite a good deal on the P238. Brand New (Jan 25-2012) Nitron finish with black grips. The price was $519.00. This included a SIG laser module attachment, SIG Warranty, No Sales Tax, and Free 2 Day UPS Shipping to my FFL

I spoke with my FFL dealer and the seller this morning, and the gun will be arriving Wednesday next week!!!

These pistols are currently going for $600.00+ in the Minneapolis area, plus a 7.775% sales tax to add onto that,

I think I found myself a bargain at $519.00 + $25.00 Transfer fee. However I would like to take a moment to bash SIG Sauer for only included 1 Magazine (that **** needs to change).

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Beanie-Bean

Beanie-Bean
    Expand Collapse

Congrats on the new P238! I've got the HD model, and it has been one of my faithful companions ever since I got it. Luckily, I believe the one I got was a from a newer batch after the initial problems were addressed, so I didn't have any functional problems. One of the SIGLites on the rear sight went out, and SIG replaced it free of charge in less than a two-week turnaround.

.380 Auto is the next caliber I'll be loading, and I'm pretty excited about finally being able to shoot the lights out of the P238 without worrying about ammo costs.

I carry Hornady Critical Defense ammo in mine, along with the spare magazine, and I use a Remora holster in my pocket, and sometimes IWB if I'm out for a walk and just have some running shorts on.

Enjoy your new SIG!

3. rilkil23

rilkil23
    Expand Collapse

Great little gun, from what I've heard and the one magazine thing is a bunch of crap. Ruger has gotten me twice with my LCP and my LC9. It took a while to find additional magazines because the demand was so high. Enjoy your new Sig.

4. NAS T MAG

NAS T MAG
    Expand Collapse

I was a little more fortunate. My HD out the door was $510 & the Copperhead was $500. Do yourself a favor and buy a Crimson Trace for it. And for sure, a Remora holster.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#4 NAS T MAG, May 12, 2012
    Last edited: May 12, 2012
  5. uhlawpup

uhlawpup
    Expand Collapse
    Gentle Soul

I love mine, too.

I did learn that a trip to the range can loosen your grip screws. I lost one, but Sig sent me some new ones at no charge.

Before you break it in, put a little LokTite on the grip screws, and enjoy!

6. ijacek

ijacek
    Expand Collapse

First .380 I ever bought was NAA Guardian. What a pain to shoot that was, bit of a jam-o-matic as well. Anyway, sold it and bought P238 couldn't be happier.

Congrats on a great gun.

7. bac1023

bac1023
    Expand Collapse

Congrats! :cool:

8. gordo993

gordo993
    Expand Collapse

I picked up a 238 Desert and it had siglite sites, a 6 round mag, and a 7 round mag. Sold my Diamondback to get it and couldn't be happier!!! Love the hogue grips, too!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

9. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison
    Expand Collapse
    Brew Crew

Congrats!

10. MNSurvival

MNSurvival
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Enthusiast

Does anyone know of any "winners" & "losers" when it comes to JHP's?

11. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701
    Expand Collapse
    Fear no Evil
    Platinum Member
    1. Glock Talk's Drunk Squad

Might as well start with the best! Mine likes PDX1s and Gold Dots.

12. RedHaze

RedHaze
    Expand Collapse
    Handgunner

[Crocodile Dundee voice]
    Oi... that ain't no mouse gun. Dis 'ere's a mouse gun.
    [/Dundee voice]

[​IMG]

#12 RedHaze, May 13, 2012
    Last edited: May 13, 2012
  13. Nakanokalronin

Nakanokalronin
    Expand Collapse
    JMB & MTK

Mine feeds Hornady Critical Defense and any ball with no problem. Mine has the older/slimmer slide and I've heard that all current P238s come with the thicker type. On the occasion I do pocket carry, it rides in my front right pocket in a B.M. Bullard holster and mag holder in the left.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Slim line 1911 grip screws work fine although you may need to shorten them a tiny bit more so they don't protrude into the well.

14. Cole125

Cole125
    Expand Collapse
    Silver Member

Congrats! I got a Kahr P380 and am happy with it, the Sig looks nice too! Both the Kahr and Sig are a step up from other .380s on the market in that they have real handgun sights, and are much more shootable then say the LCP or P3AT.

15. Glock40man

Glock40man
    Expand Collapse

Congrats!:cool:

16. larson1122

larson1122
    Expand Collapse

Congrats!

17. Jdee

Jdee
    Expand Collapse

Congrats! I love mine :wavey:
    I'm Getting rid of the grips and making some Lacewood Grips for it soon:supergrin:
    [​IMG]

18. mgentry

mgentry
    Expand Collapse

I have the HD also - I really like it - accurate and reliable!

19. collim1

collim1
    Expand Collapse
    Shower Time!

My dad bought one when they first came out. I have been very impressed with it. Very accurate and shootable for a small gun and has been 100% reliable for the 4-500rds that have been run through it.

And yes, Sig is on my list for the 1 mag BS, but its no reason to pass on one.

20. Clusterfrack

Clusterfrack
    Expand Collapse

Nice. My p238 is one of the first ones made and has been a good gun (with the gen 2 mags). I use Buffalo Bore lead hard cast 100gr +p for defensive carry.