close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

My First Homemade Holster

Discussion in 'Gun-Parts & Access.' started by R.Kell628, Feb 3, 2013.

1. R.Kell628

R.Kell628

Jan 12, 2012
    First of all, I'm not sure if this is the right place or not. Please move if it is not...

...I've been waiting and wanting to start making kydex holster for a long time now. Well on Friday I got all the materials I needed to make my press and get started. My first attempt was pretty much a failure (but mildly). On the second attempt, it turned out great in my opinion for my first holster. My plan/goal is to make some for friends and family and hopefully start making some to sell for others. I'd like to do custom, unique work and eventually I'd like to try leather/kydex hybrid holsters. Anyway, here is my first one for my Glock 19 with a TLR-1s weapon light. I think it may be a little to big and I could have taken some extra material off but I'm happy with the turnout. Tell me what you guys think. Any suggestions or pointers?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Again, any suggestions, critics, or opinions?

Thanks, Ryan

2. Ewalk

Ewalk

Feb 16, 2010
    I wouldn't have noticed that it appears, from the picture at least to be a bit large, but the quality looks outstanding! Is this kind of work in the realm of what you do for a living or just a hobby? I have had a number of custom holsters made by local home-business type holster makers and yours looks on par with some of the best I have seen.
    Great Job!
    P.s. let me know when you start taking orders.

3. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    It's a good looking holster, but it looks like it will be very difficult to draw from once it is in your pants. I think I would have formed the kydex so the gun and light lock in a little less in the direction of draw, by filling some spaces with cardboard or something before forming it.

4. looks great, i've made a bunch of leather holsters, i'd like to try kydex. is it easy to work with? maybe try adjustable straps

5. JrothHolster

JrothHolster

Feb 4, 2013
    Columbus Ohio
    Looks great for your first shot at it.

Just be careful if you, or anyone else does this, that you make a blank out of popsicle sticks or similar to block out the areas where the kydex tends to mold too tightly to the light. I've marked some of the areas where you don't want the kydex to be super tight.

This may not be a problem if the holster is OWB and has room to flex, but IWB you have the belt and pants pressing against it tightening the whole thing.

if anyone has any other questions let me know.

Jason

Attached Files:

6. JackMac

JackMac

Mar 13, 2011
    TX
    Looks good. Before I had a holster, I just put a bunch of rubber bands on the grip and stuck it inside my waistband. Worked just fine. That was a S&W model 36.

7. ccoprdc

ccoprdc

Oct 10, 2005
    Georgia
    Ryan, can I be your brother or maybe a close cousin?:cool:

David C.
    aka ccoprdc

8. crazyasian1

crazyasian1

Mar 17, 2010
    JBA
    Looks like excellent worksmanship! One thing I noticed with my totally unpracticed, layman's eye, in Pic #3, the same one that JrothHolster used, it looks like the magazine catch could potentially be activated by movement or pressing/bumping up against something. Could just be the angle, but take a look at it. Other than that, great job!