close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

My first day CCW

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Bluestreakfl, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Bluestreakfl

Bluestreakfl

Feb 22, 2011
    My Florida carry permit arrived late afternoon yesterday. I carried my NAA mini to a few places but today will be the true first test, carrying my G27 IWB in a remora holster at about 3:30. It was a weird feeling walking out of the house knowing there's a gun snuggly secured to my hip. It's gonna take a bit of getting used to, but the remora holster is definitely comfortable, even while sitting and driving. So far I've made it to Starbucks, felt like everyone was watching me, although I know that's just first time jitters. All in all though I'm not a complete nervous wreck like I thought I'd be, more or less feel peace of mind. So far so good.

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors.

2. EAJuggalo

EAJuggalo

Jan 17, 2005
    Eagan, MN
    Give it a couple months and you won't even think about it. What is your carry belt? That is much more important than the holster itself.

Congratulations.

3. Bluestreakfl

Bluestreakfl

Feb 22, 2011
    Well I have just a regular belt, as the Remora is a no clip style holster. The outside of the holster has an extremely grippy texture to it, you position it how you want, and it just stays there. They make many different models for specific guns as well. You can even wear them with sweatpants. Theyre 100% made in the USA and had a lifetime warranty as well. Worth every penny of the $25 I spent on it, and excellent customer service.

4. Lowjiber

Lowjiber

Jan 26, 2012
    Las Vegas
    I absolutely agree. Check out some of the 5.11 belts.

Congratulations on your first CC.

5. Congrats.

I've been carrying for a few months. You get used to it pretty quick.

Yesterday, I carried with one in the chamber for the first time.

Just ease into it as you become more comfortable.

6. :wow:and to think you waited this long to start:wavey:

7. Bluestreakfl

Bluestreakfl

Feb 22, 2011
    I'm just glad I finally went through with it and got it. Kept telling myself for the longest time I would, and I finally did. I was very pleased with the turnaround. Filled my app and did fingerprints/photo all electronically at a regional office and got it in 13 days.

8. porschedog

porschedog

Sep 29, 2009
  9. I remember my first time...man it was thrilling!.....(lol sounds so dirty.) But I too felt awkward. Now I feel awkward and all sorts of nekkid with out it.

every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

10. East River Guide

East River Guide Glockaholic

Dec 16, 2011
    Atlanta
    Why is that? (not disagreeing, just trying to learn?)

11. coastal4974

coastal4974

Nov 2, 2009
    I use the Remora with my G19 and carry cross draw, love it.

12. THEPOPE

THEPOPE Nibb

Feb 2, 2006
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Congrats on excersising your RIGHT to carry and defend , I remember my first carry, 6 years ago when I was 51 years of age, I waited way too long to do it......

It will become second nature in a few weeks, as said, you will feel nekk-ed without it....you will also become more observant of your surroundings and the people that reside in those surroundings, you will think about your 'risk management' , and act accordingly.....

Good luck, and carry with safety and confidence,sir.

I am out...........:cool:

13. Bluestreakfl

Bluestreakfl

Feb 22, 2011
    I love mine too. Excellent holster for sure. I carry mine strong side around 3:00, and it's quite comfortable and very easy to conceal.

14. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg BTF Inventor

Jun 14, 2002
    A crappy holster on a proper gunbelt or a good holster on a crappy belt will both perform poorly. A quality holster on a proper gunbelt is worth it's weight in gold, even though you can get both for under $70.00.

15. jwhite75

jwhite75 Gubmint Worker

Jan 6, 2009
    Dub V

If your gun is the bricks in your proverbial house, the belt is the mortar. It holds the whole system together and in place.

A well made leather belt or a stiff nylon belt like a Wilderness Instructor belt will be stiff and hole the weight of you gun and holster and keep it from moving in ANY direction and not let it sag you pants where you have to keep adjusting and thus giving yourself away.

HINT: A proper gun carrying belt will NOT be found in a department store or Wal Mart.

16. pipedreams

pipedreams Member

Feb 19, 2011
    S. E. Iowa
    :agree:

17. eclark53520

eclark53520

Feb 12, 2007
    WI
    Disagree.

The holster is the Mortar, the Belt is the foundation of that house.

I've converted a few friends that were of the mindset that their dress belt was 'Good Enough'. I let them carry with my Wilderness Instructors belt for a day, all of them bought a real gun belt after that.

18. redbaron007

redbaron007 Some Dude Lifetime Member

Jan 26, 2009
    SWMO
    Congrats on the CCW!! :thumbsup:

Now you need to do the Walmart shuffle a few times and it will become natural. Once you get use to it, when you don't carry, it feels wierd.

As several have mention, a good belt is the start for carrying. If you are using an OWB holster, it is a must. I like the Remora holster, too. It's great to use when you are going out for just a few hours and such.

Enjoy the adventure.....remember to study and know your state laws on CCW.

:wavey:

red

19. ilmonster

ilmonster

Mar 31, 2009
    It's certainly an interesting new adventure! I got my CCW a month and a half ago, and am beginning to feel comfortable carrying. I started with a Ruger LCR in a Mitch Rosen OWB holster, and felt very comfortable with it - concealable, substantial trigger pull - didn't worry about it going off. Just recently started carrying my G19 with a round in the chamber and the NY1 trigger spring in a Glock Combat holster. Still more cognicent of the G19 as it just "feels" like it's an easier gun have an AD with (rationally, having shot handguns for 20 years, I know that's not the case!). With the NY1 trigger spring, it's really not an issue, it's just in my own head that I feel that the LCR won't "go off" without a substantial trigger pull. I know I'll get used to it. Again, rationally they're equals - 10 vs. 8lb trigger pulls (vs. a 4lb 1911 trigger for instance), holsters that cover the triggers, my finger never touches a trigger until I'm on target, etc. Just the adventure of beginning to CCW.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  20. I've had my CPL (that's what they call them in MI) for over 6 years now. The days that I don't carry feels unnatural now.