Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

My firearm transfer was "delayed" at long?

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by brawndo89, Oct 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brawndo89

Oct 1, 2012
    San Marcos, TX
    Okay a quick run down of what is going on...I'm a long time lurker on these forums first time poster. I went into Academy to buy my first hand gun, an m9, and my background check was delayed. I had a feeling it would be delayed for this reason:

-When I was 18 (currently 23) I was arrested in Oklahoma (I live(d) in Texas then and now) for possession of marijuana and possession of ecstasy. Obviously both charges were felonies, but I went through deferred probation and the deal was as long as I didn't re offend in two years all charges would be dropped. I did not re offend so my record is now spotless.

With all that being said I assume that is the reason my background check is being delayed. I tried to buy it Friday at noon and still haven't heard from academy now Sunday at noon.

How long do delayed processes usually take? Am I likely to be turned down anyway even though all my charges have been dropped? Any info at all would be helpful guys, thanks!

2. Bruce M

Bruce M

Jan 3, 2010
    S FL
    I am not certain that you could have been placed on probation and have the charges dropped. Probation sometimes follows some sort of conviction. Possibly to a lower charge. Perhaps it is time to consult an attorney. I have no idea if deferred adjudiction would be considered a conviction or not for gun purchase purposes.
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2012

3. twag4

Feb 28, 2010
    If you were delayed and not denied, they will let you have your firearm in four business days (M-F). Patience, I get delayed every time I buy a gun for an arrest that occurred when I was 18, and I was the wrong guy. I was released within two hours and no charges were filed. Because there is no court record to explain the arrest as I was never even arraigned, NICS sees that as unexplained and it causes a delay. I have done an appeal through them and it could only be remedied by a lawyer at a cost of over $1000. Four days is a cheaper price for me so I grit my teeth and bear it. It sux, but it is what it is. I have no record whatsoever, just an arrest with no disposition/court appearance and paperwork.
  4. IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    You're not going to get any difference answers here, than you did in your other thread w/ the same topic (might want to reread the rules on posting the same topic in multiple forums)..

Bottom line, wait the 3-4 days, if you're still denied, you know how to proceed.

Good luck.
  5. Bruce M

Bruce M

Jan 3, 2010
    S FL
  6. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster Millennium Member

Sep 24, 1999
    Hartford, Vermont
  7. samuse

Jul 30, 2008
    South TX
    Nice choice with the M9!

I got arrested a few times in my younger 'n dumber days but I never got delayed until I aquired a DHS MARSOC security clearance. I quit getting delayed when I let it expire.

Makes a lot of sense huh?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.