close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

My firearm transfer was "delayed" at Academy....how long?

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by brawndo89, Oct 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brawndo89

brawndo89

Oct 1, 2012
    San Marcos, TX
    Okay a quick run down of what is going on...I'm a long time lurker on these forums first time poster. I went into Academy to buy my first hand gun, an m9, and my background check was delayed. I had a feeling it would be delayed for this reason:

-When I was 18 (currently 23) I was arrested in Oklahoma (I live(d) in Texas then and now) for possession of marijuana and possession of ecstasy. Obviously both charges were felonies, but I went through deferred probation and the deal was as long as I didn't re offend in two years all charges would be dropped. I did not re offend so my record is now spotless.

With all that being said I assume that is the reason my background check is being delayed. I tried to buy it Friday at noon and still haven't heard from academy now Sunday at noon.

How long do delayed processes usually take? Am I likely to be turned down anyway even though all my charges have been dropped? Any info at all would be helpful guys, thanks!

Brawndo89

2. Bruce M

Bruce M

Jan 3, 2010
    S FL
    I am not certain that you could have been placed on probation and have the charges dropped. Probation sometimes follows some sort of conviction. Possibly to a lower charge. Perhaps it is time to consult an attorney. I have no idea if deferred adjudiction would be considered a conviction or not for gun purchase purposes.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2012

3. twag4

twag4

Feb 28, 2010
    Alabama
    If you were delayed and not denied, they will let you have your firearm in four business days (M-F). Patience, I get delayed every time I buy a gun for an arrest that occurred when I was 18, and I was the wrong guy. I was released within two hours and no charges were filed. Because there is no court record to explain the arrest as I was never even arraigned, NICS sees that as unexplained and it causes a delay. I have done an appeal through them and it could only be remedied by a lawyer at a cost of over $1000. Four days is a cheaper price for me so I grit my teeth and bear it. It sux, but it is what it is. I have no record whatsoever, just an arrest with no disposition/court appearance and paperwork.

4. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    You're not going to get any difference answers here, than you did in your other thread w/ the same topic (might want to reread the rules on posting the same topic in multiple forums)..

Bottom line, wait the 3-4 days, if you're still denied, you know how to proceed.

Good luck.

5. samuse

samuse

Jul 30, 2008
    South TX
    Nice choice with the M9!

I got arrested a few times in my younger 'n dumber days but I never got delayed until I aquired a DHS MARSOC security clearance. I quit getting delayed when I let it expire.

Makes a lot of sense huh?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.