close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

My father's book. The events of Shannon Street, 1983 in Memphis TN

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by ghstface38, Jun 11, 2011.

1. ghstface38

ghstface38 Five-O

Dec 26, 2005
    Area around Memphis, TN
    Hey guys,

My father, an ex-LEO, has finished writing his book titled "Hostage/ Murder in Memphis" which tells the true story of 2 Memphis Police Officers who were attacked and kidnapped in 1983. One of the Officers, Robert Hester, was held for several hours, tortured, and ultimately murdered.

My father felt the story needed to be told and decided a couple years ago to start the research project that consumed his life. Well, finally, he has completed the book and it's for sale at http://www2.xlibris.com/bookstore/bookdisplay.aspx?bookid=92743.

Being a current LEO I appreciate the book and I hope you guys will to, it tells a pretty fantastic, if not sad, story.

Anyway guys I would appreciate any support he can receive from other LEO's and civilians alike.

Thanks again and stay safe fellas.

2. Will your father sign it for me? I'll throw in a patch of my agency!

I recently got a signed copy of Circle of Six by Randy Jurgensen. And it occurred to me I should try to establish a collection of police books signed by their authors.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2011

3. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

Apr 30, 2005
    Thanks for the heads up, the book looks interesting.

4. ghstface38

ghstface38 Five-O

Dec 26, 2005
    Area around Memphis, TN
    Your welcome guys, I really appreciate the support from our community, I know it means alot to him.

Patchman I will personally get the book signed for you, what a great thing to inquire about, my pops will get a kick out of that.

Thanks again guys.

5. Was this murder/incident an inspiration for a Hill Street Blues episode?

Deal. Once I receive the book I'll PM you for a mailing address.

6. ghstface38

ghstface38 Five-O

Dec 26, 2005
    Area around Memphis, TN
    I'm not sure about the Hill Street Blues question, let me call and ask him what he knows about that. Standby 1.

7. ghstface38

ghstface38 Five-O

Dec 26, 2005
    Area around Memphis, TN
    Talked to him, the first Hill Street Blues episode, the episode in question, was in '81, Shannon Street didn't happen till '83. Coincidence I guess.

8. And you'll never get an official acknowledgment. TV shows always have that disclaimer about no relationship to any persons or events, etc...

9. LilCop2002

LilCop2002

Jul 13, 2005
    Ghstface38 and his father are both some damn good people. Just from my limited interaction with him and his father, you could tell that they'd give you the shirt off of their backs while holding a ******bag at gunpoint.

I'd put my name on them.

10. Snowman92D

Snowman92D

Oct 6, 2001
    Indianapolis
    I got a copy ordered. I remember the incident. My whole life has been LE, 38 years +, and I'm glad to see stories like this set down so no one forgets. :thumbsup:

11. PROSOUTH

PROSOUTH

Jan 10, 2000
    Middle TN
    It doesn't seem that long ago, but time flys.

I remember this had just happened and being as it was in TN we had it in the academy.Soon as Bonaroo is over I'll try to hook me one, really tragic story. #430

:fallenofficer:

12. ghstface38

ghstface38 Five-O

Dec 26, 2005
    Area around Memphis, TN
    Thanks LilCop, shouldn't you be enjoying your vacation?!

Thanks for the support Snowman!

ProSouth you are correct, time does fly. I've seen some of the news coverage from the siege, very sobering.

13. CJStudent

CJStudent Fenced In

Nov 3, 2005
    KY
    I think I may end up purchasing that as soon as I get some money...

14. DaBigBR

DaBigBR No Infidels!

Oct 28, 2005
    Circling the wagons.
    Any word on availability of the electronic version? I see an ISBN for it, but it's not an option to purchase. I'm probably going to buy the print version (and I may have to send it in for an autograph), but I vastly prefer my Kindle for reading.

15. ghstface38

ghstface38 Five-O

Dec 26, 2005
    Area around Memphis, TN
    The email he received stated the e-version would be available in 30-90 days. Pretty wide stretch, I know. Hopefully sooner than later.

Autograph, of course! If anyone wants one my father would happily pay the shipping back to you.

16. CJStudent

CJStudent Fenced In

Nov 3, 2005
    KY
    Thanks for the info; I'll be ordering one and sending it for the autograph as soon as I get a my next check!