close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

My Dog has a Mystery Illness Any Ideas What is Wrong?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Flying-Dutchman, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Flying-Dutchman

Flying-Dutchman

My 11 year old German Shepherd Dog has been going downhill the last 9 months and I know there are a lot of dog owners here maybe with some suggestions.

His skin is crusty, scaly and tender in spots and he chews the fur off in these areas.

He eats a lot and his digestion is good but he is very thin.

His hind legs are a bit wobbly in the morning and he stretches them.

He walks fine and he still pulls like a mule.

2 blood panel tests show his organs are functioning in a normal range.

The vet could not feel any tumors.

He was on prednisone and now Vetprofen and doxicycline.

2. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348 Happy Member

There is something, pony up for the MRI.

3. 2bgop

2bgop

Sorry to hear that. 11 healthy years out of a GSD is pretty good, hope he holds on for a couple more.

4. Magnus2131

Magnus2131 Glock Gimp

I was on prednisone and had dry patches of skin from the neckline of my shirt, deodorant burned my pits and was always hungry. It did a number on my bones. It made me very jittery. Prednisone works but it can have a lot of side effects. I imagine it has some of the same effects on a dog. Hope you find out what's wrong.

5. moishlashen

moishlashen Senile Member

Mine had a similar skin condition so I switched to a limited ingredient food-natural balance. It helped a lot but its expensive.

The rest of the stuff seems old age related. Its tough to watch them get old bud I know.

6. Flying-Dutchman

Flying-Dutchman

They mentioned the next step would be an ex-ray but he would have to lie flat and he is a high strung dog around strangers so it would be like wrestling a shark out of water.

And if they find cancer can they fix an 11 year old dog?

7. Flying-Dutchman

Flying-Dutchman

I will try different foods.

The vet mentioned it could be a food allergy and it could be something he ate a while ago.

I would like to know what the most probable food would be that would cause this.

8. DaneA

DaneA

What are you feeding? Is he on heartgard?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

9. Emoore

Emoore

Yes, there is plenty they can do to help with cancer in an 11-year old dog, particularly if you can find a holistic vet who can manipulate diet, lifestyle, and supplementation along with judicious use of medication to help greatly slow the cancer's progress.

The issue with his skin and his thinness makes me think you might be dealing with a food sensitivity, however. I would look into a limited ingredient diet. The most common allergens are corn and chicken.

As far as the shaking back legs, has he been checked for Degenerative Myelopathy?

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  10. Flying-Dutchman

Flying-Dutchman

I figured I would have him for 10 years but the years went fast and it would be great if he would last a couple more.

Lately he has been clingy never leaving my side. It is as if he thinks I can make him young again.

11. moishlashen

Shepherds have delicate stomachs. I fed mine Royal Canine for years but one day she just developed an allergy. As far as x-rays go try and find a vet who has experience with working dogs. I had to have my dog get pre-lims when she was a puppy and then again when she was an adult to get her hips rated. She is as high drive as they come and I didn't think in a million years I would be able to ge it done but this guy had a trick up his sleeve. He put a muzzle on her-which she doesn't need but in the end she was so preoccupied/fascinated with the muzzle that the x-rays were done before she even knew it. I was amazed.

12. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348 Happy Member

Maybe, you don't know til the diagnosis is made. 11 is not to old. It could be worth it to try, you never know. I've got a 19 year old dog at my feet now watching the game with us.

13. Emoore

Emoore

Is your dog getting joint support?

14. yodahunter

yodahunter

No mange mites? He probably has MDR1 gene and can't stand much ivermectin. Arthritis?

15. roguedaddy

roguedaddy

Prednisone is rough. Causes lots of bad side effects. Don't give it any longer than you have to. Get him on an all meat diet. If you can't go raw at least get something like Blue. Also try glucosamine. It does wonders for joints. You can give the dog the human brand to, it's cheaper than the dog brand, just not as chewable. Good luck. I really hope he pulls through. I lost two last year and it's tough.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

16. Flying-Dutchman

Flying-Dutchman

I have been giving him a lot of chicken along with his dog food but I will stop.

His digestion has been excellent with no vomiting or diarrhea so I assumed it was ok.

The vet mentioned possible nerve degeneration but nothing could be done for it.

17. Emoore

Emoore

I'd want to find out for sure if he has DM or not. Your vet is correct that there's nothing that can be done to stop it, but you can certainly prepare yourself on the course of the disease and decide how you want to manage it.

You might want to try him on a food that has a single source protein and single source carbohydrate that is different from what he's getting now. Lamb and potato, for example, or salmon and sweet potato. Just to see if his skin and digestion improves.

18. Flying-Dutchman

Flying-Dutchman

I am feeding him Royal Canine as years ago some dog foods were giving him diarrhea.

He did well for years with it, but now has this skin problem so I will try a different dog food.

19. Flying-Dutchman

Flying-Dutchman

He has had heartworm medicine.

He eats Royal Canin and any leftover non-spicy meat I may have like chicken and beef in order for him to gain weight. Eggs too.

He has a reoccurrence of Lyme disease early last year and was treated successfully for that.

20. moishlashen

I switched to Natural Balance duck and potato and her skin cleared up. She likes eating better than the RC too and I could set my watch by her "movements".