close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

My dog died suddenly this morning....

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by vrex, Feb 15, 2009.

1. vrex

vrex
    Expand Collapse

Lucky was an 8 year old docile and kind lab/pitbull mix I rescued from a shelter for my parents in 2004. She was a happy dog,her health was good though she was a bit overweight. She had been acting very "clingy" to my father the last few days. Early this morning around 5am my parents called me, they were awakened by a deep, weak crying from the kitchen. and told me Lucky was on the kitchen floor and not responding, bleeding from her anus and fluid coming from her mouth. Within minutes, she was gone. She was due for her yearly vet appt. soon and was good at her last one other than being a bit heavy. Ive been reading on what could have caused this and think it might be gastric bloat, although nowhere do I see symptoms of anal bleeding associated with it. If anyone has any clue or knows an online source for information, it would be appreciated.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
    #1 vrex, Feb 15, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  2. deadday

deadday
    Expand Collapse

I'm sorry brother...

3. scoose

scoose
    Expand Collapse
    Nugent for prez

RIP Lucky

4. sdglock22

sdglock22
    Expand Collapse

Sorry for your loss, it really sux to lose a trusted friend.

5. Javelin

Javelin
    Expand Collapse
    Got Glock?
    Silver Member

Sorry to hear about your doggy. :crying:

6. sdsnet

sdsnet
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Member
    CLM

The dog in my avatar, Toby died suddenly at the age of nine. He was always highly allergic, we had his blood tested and he was allergic to basically everything - grass, wheat, eggs etc. We gave him cortizone shots occasionally and benadryl as well. He had been scratching a bunch at night in our bedroom night after night. One night I decided we needed a break and I shut our bedroom door before he could come to bed with us.

The next morning my wife found him dead outside my son's bedroom door. My son was up late that night and said he saw him sitting there just staring at our bedroom door from the area outside his bedroom. He petted him and then went to bed himself. He died in his sleep as he was laying down on his side when we found him.

I took his body to the vet and asked him to please find out what happened if possible. Our vet was a very nice older man that didn't charge much especially in a situation like this. In fact he didn't charge me to do the autopsy and he only charged me $15 to give him a group burial with other dogs. The vet said he found that he had an aneurism in his stomach and bled out from the inside. He told me that it was nothing that we had done or could have prevented as it is a problem that some retrievers are born with. It was so upsetting. I miss him to this day and that was ten years ago.

The last time I had taken him to the vet he told me that he wasn't going to live much longer and that retrievers often do not live past the age of ten. He was such a sweet dog and was super loyal.

They don't live very long but they sure bring joy and love to our lives. I'm sorry for your loss.

Maybe after awhile you can rescue another one that needs a good home.

7. Blitzer

Blitzer
    Expand Collapse
    Cool Cat

8. Patricia

Patricia
    Expand Collapse
    Wild at heart
    Millennium Member CLM

I'm so sorry for your loss. :crying:

9. MrsKitty

MrsKitty
    Expand Collapse

I'm sorry. :crying:

10. pesticidal

pesticidal
    Expand Collapse
    Eh?
    CLM

11. rugercat78

rugercat78
    Expand Collapse

vrex, so sorry for your loss. You are in my prayers :crying:

12. Zonny

Zonny
    Expand Collapse

Terrible thing to wake to. I'm sorry... :hugs:

13. Deployment Solu

Deployment Solu
    Expand Collapse
    Kydex Crafter

Sorry for your loss. I know your pain. We had to put down a 12 year old Basset that suddenly went downhill recently. Liver problems, fluid in the lungs, difficulty breathing, nothing that could be done.

May your pet rest in peace!!!

14. Platz

Platz
    Expand Collapse

Oh my goodness, I can not even imagine....

I am so sorry.

15. HK-N-THE-HOUSE

HK-N-THE-HOUSE
    Expand Collapse
    Silver Member

Nothing hurts like the loss of a best friend , Sorry.

16. chuck pullen

chuck pullen
    Expand Collapse

Very sorry for your loss. Did your dog chew up some sizeable bones in the last day or so? Our dachshund did a ham hock several months ago and it caused him very serious pain, w/ anal bleeding, for 2 days, but he pulled thru.

17. Cody Jarrett

Cody Jarrett
    Expand Collapse

My beloved GSD died two years ago. She would have given her life to protect us without hesitation. She was my constant companion, protector and daughter... only she had four feet and fur. I had her cremated and she still sits atop my fireplace mantle in an earn. My condolences to your family as these are nothing short of children to us. Although I now have a wonderful young border collie I can't part with my little one's ashes. So she stays forever.

#17 Cody Jarrett, Feb 16, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  18. RLB

RLB
    Expand Collapse

Sorry for your loss. RIP Lucky.

19. dkbrucedvm

dkbrucedvm
    Expand Collapse

Just guessing, but possibilities include:

- A mesenteric or intestinal torsion (the intestines get twisted around the mesenteric root),

- An intestinal intusseception (the intestine telescopes within itself, often at the junction between the small and large intestines, with or without a foreign object in the intestine)

- Maybe a bloat (gastric dilation with volvulus). But as you mention, those are upper GI, so they don't usually have any rectal signs at all.

Other possibilities would include toxin ingestion, splenic torsion, or hemorrhagic gastroenteritis. But splenic torsions don't usually have blood or fluid involved, and hemorrhagic gastroenteritis usually has a LOT of vomiting and bloody diarrhea.

Without a post-mortem examination, it's tough to say.

Sorry for your loss. What a shock!

20. vrex

vrex
    Expand Collapse

Thanks. do you think this could be some kind of poisoning? I'm not certain. I was thinking hemorrhagic gastroenteritis . Either way it is very sad. Thank you everyone for your kind responses.