close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

My DIY Memory Pad/Palm Swell!

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by Michigun, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Michigun

Michigun
    Expand Collapse
    Miss Michigan?

Thought I’d share my DIY memory pad/palm swell...

Problem:

I needed a memory pad/palm swell on my Springfield 1911-A1 G.I. in order for me/my hand/grip to reliably depress the grip safety 100% of the time.

Solution:

After thinking on it a while... I decided on a product called “pig” which is a “Repair Putty/Multi-Purpose Epoxy Stick”... this stuff is like iron after it drys & REAL easy to work with! It’s in stick form so you just pinch off as much as you need & then work/mix it with your fingertips for a minute/2 tops... stick in on where you want it, press it in & then ruff shape it... let it dry for an hour & after that you can sand, file &/or drill on it...

I didn’t even have to remove my grip safety with this project (nor the original finish on the part as this stuff sticks to EVERYTHING) & was able to use only an ‘exacto-knife for final shaping/trimming... after the final shaping I used a black ‘paint-pen’ to color it as this “pig putty” requires no primer!

Here’s what I came up with... I left it a little on the large side on purpose... sorry for the crappy pics as my digital cam is MIA & all I have is my cell came:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. DRAGON1970

DRAGON1970
    Expand Collapse

Sorry dude but it looks more like PIG S#$T. Have it done right.

3. Hound_dogs_01

Hound_dogs_01
    Expand Collapse

looks good to me bro. nice work!

Alex

4. Michigun

Michigun
    Expand Collapse
    Miss Michigan?

LOL! Dude, the gun looks like "S#$T"... it is a 'mil-spec' Springfield G.I. after all... I'd have just about as much into a new grip safety & the hammer to work with it as I have into the whole gun!

Oh, & my DIY pad/swell works just like the rest & it cost me like $5 an about 30 minutes of my time. (I'd have had more time into it if I cared to get it real nice & smooth, but there ain't much that is smooth on any of this G.I.)

Hey, what do ya know... there are still a few gentlemen left on-line! LOL! Thank you sir.

#4 Michigun, Jan 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
  5. Mr. Gekko

Mr. Gekko
    Expand Collapse

I will say that it is not how I would approach that problem. However, if it works for you and you are happy with it, congrats.

6. Michigun

Michigun
    Expand Collapse
    Miss Michigan?

You know, if there was a drop in 'mil-spec' grip safety with a 'bump' on it I'd have probably went that route... but all the ones I find have a beavertail, then need a new 'bobbed' hammer to fit that beavertail & then require the frame to be altered...

I can do the work myself, but even then it seems a lot to spend for what I've duplicated for only a few bucks... ya know?

7. bac1023

bac1023
    Expand Collapse

Very nice

8. DRAGON1970

DRAGON1970
    Expand Collapse

I have fit roughly a dozen grip safeties. $30 for GS, $40 for hammer, $20 for fitting jig, $30 for cold park from Caswell, 3 hours for shaping and fitting.

9. Michigun

Michigun
    Expand Collapse
    Miss Michigan?

FYI, I should probably mention that this particular 1911 will be replacing the G17 in my glove box currently... you see, the G17 is a $700 (a few add-ons (night sights for 1) that ALL of my GLOCKs get) gun & if I play my cards right I won't have 1/2 that into this G.I. total... would hurt a lot less if the G.I. ends up disappearing (Hope not!) from my car.

10. Michigun

Michigun
    Expand Collapse
    Miss Michigan?

Exactly bro... that's $120 bills (without shipping)...

I got a VERY good deal on this G.I.... see my post above this one to see what I'm doing here with this G.I.

#10 Michigun, Jan 11, 2011
  11. rsxr22

rsxr22
    Expand Collapse

I am all for getting stuff done right but if thats the purpose of the gun and your happy with it, then awesome!

12. txleapd

txleapd
    Expand Collapse
    Hook 'Em Up

Why is it "not done right" because he did it himself? If he's capable of doing what he wants, at a price he's comfortable with, and it works for him, why is that a problem? Michigun has been here awhile, and he's done all kinds of mods that work. IMHO, he's very capable...

The 1911 sub-forum has gotten as bad as the Black Rifle sub-forum. The amount of snobbery has become mind boggling. This isn't Lightfighter.

13. airflyer

airflyer
    Expand Collapse

Great job glad it works , now wear the finish off it shooting it :cool:

14. Michigun

Michigun
    Expand Collapse
    Miss Michigan?

Why thank you sir! :patriot:

Haven’t spent much time in this section, since it opened, but recognized that this is what I was running into with this thread for sure... :aodnsb:

Next up on the DYI list for this G.I. is 1 of the 4 following before it'll be ready to replace the G17 in my glove box...

#1 ... a 'low lever' safety... not sure if I'll just buy 1 of the 2 that Brownells has & fit it... or modify the OEM safety (not sure if the metal will take the welding)...

#2 ... 'flare' the current magazine well...

#3 ... front night sight... at LEAST... if not a night sight set...

#4 ... gonna pick up a 'light rail' from Brownells & attach that...

#14 Michigun, Jan 11, 2011
  15. Timbonez

Timbonez
    Expand Collapse

Function over form. It's more important for a weapon to work for the user than for it to look pretty.

16. Michigun

Michigun
    Expand Collapse
    Miss Michigan?

Exactly...

... I think 'flat' main-spring housings look nicer to me, but without an 'arched' on my 1911's they point low...

... I also think all of the sloped/melted rear sights look very nice, but yet they make one-handed mag drills WAY more difficult as they don't catch on your belt or boot/shoe heal...

(For the record... I actually like the no pad/bump look on the 1911 myself... but there's that 'function over form' deal once again...)

#16 Michigun, Jan 11, 2011
  17. thecableguy

thecableguy
    Expand Collapse

Can't wait too see the pictures man. Keep up the good work.:thumbsup:

18. DRAGON1970

DRAGON1970
    Expand Collapse

Exactly..until a piece of it comes off and lodges between the safety and the frame. I have seen many rigged firearms fail in a match. Imagine what that would be like in a SD situation. To each his own.

19. Michigun

Michigun
    Expand Collapse
    Miss Michigan?

It's an epoxy...won't break, crack, flake or anything like that thing as it isn't a complete solid.

20. Jason D

Jason D
    Expand Collapse
    INFRINGED
    Silver Member Millennium Member
    1. Project Mayhem

Whatever works for you.
    A beavertail with the bump would probably require you to have your frame cut.