My dad gave me his unit patch...

Discussion in 'US Army Forum' started by SouthpawShooter, Feb 13, 2012.

1. SouthpawShooter

SouthpawShooter Rocker Glocker

Question for you Army guys.

My dad gave me his unit patch from the Army circa 1969. I think it has a rather cool design, and sort of as a tribute to him, I was thinking about stitching it on my shooting bag.

Since I was never in the Army, I just want to know if you guys would think this is a lame move. I'm not trying to pose as a vet, and I think it would be obvious that it would have been impossible for me to have been in the army the year I was born! (I have the most awesome pic of my dad holding me as a baby in his uniform, as I was born right before he went into basic)

If anyone were to ask about it, I would obviously just tell them it was my dad's unit patch.

What is the general opinion on this?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Loading...

3. Usually the people who get upset with stuff like that have never worn such things. Id say do as you wish, especially since you'll be doing it tastefully.

Part of those pesky rights we defend and all

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk

4. I think that's a great way to remember your dad and I seriously doubt anyone would have a problem with it. If they do tell them to piss off.

5. If it's the one your dad actually wore, you may want to display in a nice shadow box or something similar.

If you do a little research you could probably find a replica to sew to your range bag.

Whatever you decide, it's great that you're honoring your Father.

6. I, too, would get a replica and keep the original safe. I was in the military ten years and I think its a great idea.
    No one in their right mind is going to be offended that you have that patch on your range bag. If they're that easily offended they need to get a hobby.

7. SouthpawShooter

SouthpawShooter Rocker Glocker

Thanks for the replies guys, and thanks for your service as well!

I have some of his other stuff, like his boots (which I actually wore as a teenager, they don't fit me anymore though), and some nametapes, and his awards/medals (nothing big, just basic ones like his rifle award that has an iron cross and says "rifle" under it, and others)

I guess I could do a shadow box, but knowing him, I don't think he'd like me making such a fuss. You'd have to know him to know what I mean.

At any rate, I just wanted to see what the general opinion is.

Thanks again. :wavey:

8. what unit was he with ??? Can you post a pic of the patch???

9. Linh40

Linh40 Member

I see no problem with it. BTW that's a great idea.

10. Fred Hansen

Fred Hansen Liberal Bane

^^^^ This.

:cool:

11. Glockworks

Glockworks Ready/Aim/Fire

Retired USAF MSgt here (2001), and if my sons wanted to do what you described, outstanding for them. Anyone who says different, well tell them I said to "F... O.."

I think I made my opinion known?

12. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Anybody who has actually been in the military would think that's just fine. But I agree that you might want to display it somewhere bettter than a shooting bag.

What patch is it?

#11 Bren, Feb 28, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  13. G'Day SouthPawShooter:

I'm a vet (USA - 69-73 / MOS: 91-C-20) and I have no objections to anyone wanting to honor their father in the manner you've chosen - placing his unit patch on your range bag.

Of course, I can't speak for other vets but seems to me that anyone who would object to what you're wanting to do may very well have some 'issues' - if you catch my meaning.

So, what unit did your father serve with (just curious)?

Cheers!

14. I thought the same thing about my dad not appreciating a shadow box. His ex wife burned all of his medals and records he had. I sent off to St Louis in 1998 and got copies of everything. Mom and I never knew he recieved a Silver Star in the Korean War. Ordered all the medals and ribbons etc etc.... I build him a nice shadow box with a picture of him in it and his only remaining ID tag (dog tag) I gave it to him on his birthday, which is Nov 11th. He cried for a good 5 minutes. He had no idea I was doing it and was totally suprised. He asked how, and I told him almost a year of reserach and work. He was so happy and grateful. He had 22 months in the Korean War and 3 tours in Vietnam. I had everything that was lost when he divorced. 3 years later while I was in Bosnia, he passed away. I came home for the funeral which was the Day after Christmas 2001, my mom and I both were presented a flag graveside, she has hers still to this day under her matress where she sleeps so she can feel close to him, I put mine in a case and mounted it over his shadow box showing his completion of life and service.

Long story short, I think your dad would appreciate it more than you think. I know when the day comes that my kids want to do mine I certainly will.

15. dang it, I got something in my eye.

16. Mongosafari

Mongosafari El diablo verde

I have to agree with the others that a shadow box might make a more fitting tribute than his patch sewn to your range bag.

17. Fred Hansen

Fred Hansen Liberal Bane

:patriot:

18. Army66

Army66 USA (Ret)

As a Vietnam vet and a 20 year vet, 1966-1986 I see nothng wrong with it at all. And if you son or grandson who is now in BCT wanted any of my patches I would be proud give them to them.

19. another idea is to frame it.

20. Good recommendation! Plenty of places can replicate the patch and the shadow box, or similar idea, is also a great idea.

You might also want to have some script added above or below the patch to further recognize your dad's service. Maybe his name/rank and the years he served.

21. What is the unit or post a picture of the patch. The unit may still be active, reserve, or national guard and it won't be hard to get another patch. Patches of deactivated units aren't all that hard to find either. Many people collect and trade them. Do an internet search.