close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

My cat was mauled by a coyote(?)

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Cooper, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Cooper

Cooper

Let the cat out. An hour later she's back with half her lower jaw peeled off, bite marks around her ribcage and one paw de-gloved. $850 later the vet is supposedly patching her up. Breaks my heart to see her torn up like that.

I'm in a suburban neighborhood with no dogs. The vet said whatever got her was big enough to get its mouth around her whole body. We've been seeing coyotes in the field across the way, but they would have had to have ventured a couple hundred yards among the tight-knit houses to get up here. The cat doesn't stray very far.

Is that usual coyote behavior? What can be done. We're inside the city limits, so I can't shoot em.

2. Tango 1Zero

Tango 1Zero Millennium Member

The coyotes will come to the door to snatch a cat if its hungry. She must have got in a good hit in to get away.

3. Gregg702

Gregg702 Gold Member

That is terrible, but terrible things happen to pets that are allowed to roam on their own, be it a coyote, getting hit by a car, or some other accident or predator. Keep your girl indoors, it is much better for her. I hope she heals up ok.

4. Cooper

Cooper

She's tough! She's actually a neighborhood cat (well, she WAS . . . after $850 she's ours now) that was here when we moved in, and she spends her days mooching off everybody and her nights mooching off us specifically. She has survived several incidents like this one (though none nearly as severe) as well as being hit by a car before we knew her.

She will be an indoor cat from now on. We have to protect our investment.

[​IMG]

5. goldenlight

goldenlight

This.

Indoor cats live longer, with far fewer expensive visits to the vet.

All my cats have been indoor only cats, and they have lived from 15 to 18 years. I provide a perch where they can look out the window, and they like going out on my 3 season (fully enclosed, with storm windows) porch.

I'm sorry about your cat, but keeping her indoors from now on is really the only way to keep her safe. At least one coyote knows where she lives, now.

6. itisbruno

itisbruno Devious Member CLM

Sorry to read this, terrible news.

7. VinnieD

VinnieD

If you can't shoot them, you can keep coyotes away with firecrackers and/or an airgun. They're pretty cowardly, and tend to avoid areas where they meet resistance. Considering your cat managed to come back at all, tells me she put up one hell of a fight to get away, and probably put the fear of God into one of them.

I've been trying to deal with the ones around here, but they're pretty evasive, so I can't ever get a clear shot, but putting a round of buckshot over their heads tends to keep them away for a while. (I live in a rural area.) I'm sure a pellet in the backside would teach them a lesson.

8. GRIMLET

GRIMLET Deceased

How would a high speed pellet gun do against them with a nice head shot?
    Some of those things have good fps.

That might be ok inside city limits. Check first though.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  9. bigchuck83

bigchuck83

hope your cat heals well. Coyotes are a big problem.

10. Ohio Cop

Ohio Cop

.22lr with a can?

11. harlenm

harlenm Millennium Member

Indoor cats are cheaper? I have 4 cats, 3 go outside. The indoor cat has had all but 3 of his teeth extracted due to gum disease and last year had a urinary tract blockage and spent 4 days in the emergency vet. Spent about $5500 on him over the 5 years we've had him.

Don't even take the other cats to the vet except for rabies shots every 3 years.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

12. roger123

roger123

Sorry to hear about the cat, we have 5. 4 rescues from off the street and one "store bought" (all indoors). Best of luck to you guys.

13. ltj9296

ltj9296

We lost our dog to coyotes last year. She was not a small dog, about 65 lbs. I was gone, but my neighbor saw it. He said it was 4 or 5, I hate I was gone when she needed my help.
    Also a Raccoon can kill or injure a pet. My vet said he had to put a big Rottie down after a fight with a coon.
    I am sorry about your cat, but I wish owners would not leave them outside. I have chickens and they will kill the chicks. I use to see cats all the time, but now only once in a while. I think the coyotes have killed most of the ones that stay outside around here.

14. GlockPride

GlockPride Glock 23

Coyotes are very good at luring. Most people don't realize but yotes have something like 1700 different vocalizations. They will get a dog lured out by sounding like a female in distress or other means. Then 3-5 more will sneak in and all ambush the dog. No dog that I know of could fend off that many hungry coyotes without an intervention.
    Cats are naturally curious and I'm sure the coyotes can make sounds that most cats would want to check out.
    Good luck on getting her healed up.

15. amazon

amazon

Sorry to hear about your cat. Hope she heals up well. She's a tough kitty to say the least! Hope she has a tough girlie name like Xena Warrior Princess or something :)

16. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Yes, that is very usual. Cats are pretty much a food staple for suburban coyotes.

17. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

I invested a couple of thousand into my formerly feral stray cat, when he got caught in a radiator fan, now he has his own room and hates going outside.

18. heyTJ

heyTJ Giddy up!

Sorry to hear about the kitty. I have indoor and outdoor cats.
    They don't cross the line. The outdoor cats have a very important job, keep the barn and surrounding area rodent free.
    All my outdoor cats are and will be rescue cats. They have a somewhat safe place to live and are fat and happy.
    I don't bother taking them to the vet because they most likely will disappear one day.

19. lunarspeak

lunarspeak

im going to really freak you out on this one and i bet you wont believe the things im going to say but its more likely true..

a coyote and prob several of his friends have ventured out of that field and into your yard and several hundred yards into the neighborhood...with a cat going in and out of your house id also bet that he has been on your porch..

and it doesnt matter if you kill him and most of his friends because as long as there are cats around as a food source then they will not leave.

ive killed four in the last 2 years and my negihbor has trapped and shot over 20 and we still have them around..

i once saw one in the parking lot of northlake mall in charlotte eating thrash

20. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Shucks. C'mon up north. Our coyotes came in from OVER the Great Lakes. (Coyotes are not indigenous to the Northeast.)

As they went, they bred with wolves. Hybrids. Size of a medium-to-large dog. Hunt WELL in packs and regularly take down deer in my area. Full-size northern deer, not them 85lb deer they get in places.

Would have saved you $850 if you lived up here. Kitty wouldn't have had a chance.