close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

my build.....

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by Drgnracin72, Feb 18, 2012.

1. Drgnracin72

Drgnracin72

Jan 2, 2009
    oklahoma
    started this last night for my girlfriend. It's a basic SA G.I.
    dehorned frame and slide
    angle cut on bottom of slide
    bobbed grip safety
    bobbed hammer

things still to come:
    blend frame and slide at the rear
    new barrel/bushing (stock on is very sloppy)
    tighten frame to slide
    flatten slide stop
    flat checkered MSH
    round butt
    flat trigger
    c&s ignition kit (will bob that hammer too)
    checkered FS
    novak sight cuts
    sights of her choice
    lower and flare ejection port

was a learning experience, and the first one that ive done all by myself. will be doing everything myself, with help from a gunsmith friend with the milling components. i think she wants to do a matte black

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Drgnracin72

Drgnracin72

Jan 2, 2009
    oklahoma
    I've also decided that i am going to go ahead and cut off the hammer and make it non cockable with the thumb. just ordered a 10-8 flat trigger, 10-8 rear sight and brass front sight.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Drgnracin72

Drgnracin72

Jan 2, 2009
    oklahoma
    put in a 10-8 flat trigger, and recieved the sights. also beveled the the barrel bushing, and i think it came out nicely for my first time. undercut the trigger guard. still needs some work around the front of the slide, but im to tired to do it tonight.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Drgnracin72

Drgnracin72

Jan 2, 2009
    oklahoma
    Have also done a trigger job with the stock ignition system, and it breaks cleanly at 5.56 lbs and is as consistent as gravity. have also determined that i will be doing a beavertail on this gun. the bobbed GS and hammer just are not as comfortable as i was hoping they would be. Will hopefully be going out for sight cuts, and lowered and flared ejection port in a week or two.

5. You said tha tthe potential finish is going to be matte black......are you just bead blasting and then doing a dark blue or a spray and bake finish like Cerakote?

I am working on my first build now....pretty close to being done, same as you, all work myself except for the milling for the slide. The local powder coater that I use for motorcycle parts also does Cerakote and was considering a black over gray finish.

6. Drgnracin72

Drgnracin72

Jan 2, 2009
    oklahoma
    it really depends how the build turns out... if it turns into a really nice gun, it will get a matte black cerakote, and if its ****, ill just park it and call it a day. no reason to dress a turd.... but so far, she shoots great!

7. This is mine thus far. Changes include 10-8 rear sight and XS standard dot tritium front (milling done by gunsmith), Harrison long trigger, Wilson thumb safety, S&A grip safety, Guncrafter mainspring housing, C&S hammer, sear and disconnector. Additional mods forthcoming include new plunger sping & detents, Wilson BP extractor, Wilson BP firing pin stop, 10-8 mag release and Wilson BP slide release, possibly changing thumb safety to Wilson BP part or EGW part. When all is said and done new Wolff springs all the way around. I just picked up some abraisve cloth to do a little more blending of the grip safety to the frame when it in the depressed position. I am considering taking it to a local laser engraver for something unique on the slide, then Cerakote, perhaps Burnt Bronze:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is graphite black Cerakote on a custom build Dave Erickson did for me:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  8. ca survivor

ca survivor

Dec 25, 2011
    Florida
    I'm liking those bobbed grip safety, thinking of doing it to a Colt Defender, do you think it will work with the commander hammer ? as far as hammer bites.

9. Drgnracin72

Drgnracin72

Jan 2, 2009
    oklahoma
    shes decided she wants to do the burnt bronze cerakote instead of matte black.... heres what it looks like, but im trying to talk her into doing the barrel, bushing and trigger all black. and hers will have black grips

[​IMG]

10. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
    I like that color, but I've never been a fan of contrasting controls.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  11. Drgnracin72

Drgnracin72

Jan 2, 2009
    oklahoma
    we took it out this morning and she put about 120 rnds of fmj through it and 7 rnds of pdx1 self defense ammo. not a single ftf or fte, and the thing is pretty damn accurate in both of hands. she likes the bobbed the GS and hammer, so i am going to leave them the way they are. also let her try out a flat and arched msh and she likes the arched better, so now i just need to get a different one and fit it, and see if i can kind of round butt it. she also decided she wants checkering on FS even though she doesn't like the way it looks. the barrel has a touch of play, but with the accuracy i was able to get out of it ( 1 ragged hole at 25 yrds), i just don't see a need to do anything different with it. would like to tighten the frame to slide fit up some, but im not that advanced yet. overall, the gun shot very smoothly and accurately with no problems whatsoever. also going to have the ejection port lowered and flared.

12. Drgnracin72

Drgnracin72

Jan 2, 2009
    oklahoma
    cut a magwell into the frame and did some more sanding on the frame.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

IF YOUR NOTICE ON THE BACK, THE ANGLE WAS OFF. I DIDN'T NOTICE TILL I TOOK THE PICTURES, BUT IT HAS SINCE BEEN CORRECTED

[​IMG]

13. Drgnracin72

Drgnracin72

Jan 2, 2009
    oklahoma
    little update, did a round butt on it. i cut the lanyard loop off the factory msh, and filed it down flat. she wants an arched msh, so this is what i thought the best thing i could do for it was.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. oily_oink

oily_oink ###########

Jun 23, 2006
    Metro. Detroit
    I agree! Looking good!!!

15. okie