close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

My brother wants to buy a 9mm....he needs help!

Discussion in 'The 10 Ring' started by dryfly, Nov 30, 2011.

1. dryfly

dryfly Platinum Member

Nov 25, 2009
    White Mountains NH
    Hey 10ringers....a solicitation for a fellow 10ringer's brother in need of help.
    My brother wants to purchase his first handgun.
    A used Taurus 9mm is what his friend is trying to off-load on him.

I already read him the riot act...but being brothers who live hundreds of miles apart...he aint listening.

I cant find that pict/drawing of the 5 or 6 calibers being shot at the stick figure...the last caliber being the 10mm....That always cracks me up.
    I am pretty sure this is all he needs to see to instill some sensibility in him.

I will see him at Christmas and he WILL be shooting some 10mm Swamp Fox and Underwood ammo...that should help change his mind as well...

Thanks!

2. I have two nines. Ammo is plentiful, and they are good for the kids to start out on. That having been said, they are BORING to shoot.

3. JPP

JPP

Aug 12, 2010
    nothing wrong with 9mm at all, I really like the caliber a lot

that being said....a Taurus???? there are much, much better choices out there for 9mm pistols

4. oceanbob

oceanbob

Jun 26, 2010
    He can get a 9MM but I would stay away from Taurus. My first choice would be a Glock 19, then a Glock 17. These are simply reliable and will hold value over the years.

5. Taterhead

Taterhead Counting Beans

Dec 13, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Had the same conversation with my brother. He bought an XD in 9mm. Then he shot my G20. He has since recognized the error of his ways. A 10mm Glock is in his near term plans.

6. Don't waste money on a Taurus auto. Tell him to go with the Glock 19 or 17 if he's stubborn on the 9mm.

You COULD show him your 10, then explain the virtues of buying a compact G29sf and getting different caliber barrels for it. As a new, probably inexperienced shooter, he would benefit greatly from a one-gun system that is conversion capable.

7. Foxtrotx1

Foxtrotx1

Jan 29, 2010
    Scottsdale AZ
    If he get a 9mm make sure he gets a nice one. The 92 series is worth a look.

8. ModGlock17

ModGlock17

Dec 18, 2010
    DisneyWorld
    I'd address it from the stand point of "needs", what he'd used it for?

Fun: 22lr is only 3cents a round for plinking fun and a whole lot more accurate over long distance.

SD: google "Trooper Mark Coates" and read about a guy absorb several .357 rounds and still was able to kill the Trooper with one shot. The 9mm is smaller than the .357 and when you don't hit at the right place, it just gets a BG really mad. Show him the hunting thread here, see the pictures of deers receiving nearly 800 ft-lbs of 10mm energy and imagine what can happen with the best 9mm energy which is half that. With the 9mm, you'd better be real accurate which is around 10% likelihood in a adrenalin rush situation. On the other hand, one hit with 10mm is would create bigger hole and lethal blood loss at a minimum.

The better thing is to try out a rental gun somewhere.

However, I believe it when people say that a handgun only buys you time to get to a rifle, your plan B.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2011
  9. arushus

arushus Biggest Member

Jul 22, 2011
    NE Oklahoma
    If he is stuck on 9mm then fine, I dont like it but I can deal with it...but seriously, a taurus? The only thing they even do remotely decent with is revolvers, and they arent even that good at those....Talk him into a m&p, xdm, 92fs, or a ruger, but my first choice would be a 19!!!

10. 99blkta

99blkta

Jun 26, 2010
    TX
    I laughed out loud at this!

11. dryfly

dryfly Platinum Member

Nov 25, 2009
    White Mountains NH
    Any links to that stick figure cartoon would be cool...

12. dryfly

dryfly Platinum Member

Nov 25, 2009
    White Mountains NH
    Thanks 99... cracks me up every time I see it !

13. TRaGiK

TRaGiK

Mar 17, 2003
    nc
    IMO, a 10mm is foolish to buy as a first handgun...unless he's wealthy.

10mm ammo isn't cheap...and it can be hard to come by. My LGS' stock it, but they frequently run out.

9mm ammo is both abundant, and (relatively) cheap. It typically costs less than half of what 10mm is.

I love my 10, but if I could have only one single caliber, the 10 would not be my first choice.

14. blastfact

blastfact

Aug 15, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Nothing wrong with a 9mm at all! I own two and carry one all the time.

As for the Tauri. If it's dirt cheap and shoots out good. No harm no foul. Again,,,, if it's dirt cheap and shoots out well!!!!! Say this guy is a friend of your brothers. Tell brother to go buy a 50 round box of ammo at wal-mart and have is brother run 50 rounds through the Tauri in front of him. If it does not fail start talking money. Dirt cheap money. Otherwise start looking at all the other offerings out there in 9mm. There are a boat load of quality 9mm's out there.

I would never start a new shooter out on 10mm even if all they were shooting was retail bunny fart loads. It's just flat out going to cost to much learning the basics, body mechanics and all the other fine stuff that goes along with the shooting sports.

15. attrapereves

attrapereves

Sep 11, 2011
    Midwest
    I definitely agree with this. I decided to step up to the plate and start reloading once I bought a 10mm.

I really enjoy shooting my 9mms. Fast follow up shots and light on the wrist. If I only had one handgun, my Glock 19 would be it.

16. NAS T MAG

NAS T MAG

Feb 12, 2007
    Northern Ohio
    No s***! The USA military looked at it and picked it over any 1911. The only caliber more "overall" effective than a 9mm is the .357 Magnum. JHC:tongueout:

17. TDC20

TDC20

Apr 11, 2011
    Time for a 9mm intervention? :supergrin:

Seriously, I have several 9mm's and I love shooting them. You learn to shoot well by shooting a lot, and that's much cheaper to do with a 9mm than it is with a 10.

Just think, it could be worse....he could be buying a .25 auto! :shocked:

18. JimIsland

JimIsland

Aug 1, 2011
    Charleston,SC
    A G19 would make an excellent first gun. He could get a lot of "seat time" with it on the cheap and then step up to 10mm, 45acp, etc. later on.

19. arushus

arushus Biggest Member

Jul 22, 2011
    NE Oklahoma
    Personally, I dont think there is anything wrong with a 10mm as a first handgun...it was mine. Ive learned on it very easily, and can now shoot it very well, though the ammo can be expensive. Im just saying that as long as someone knows what theyre getting into with ammo costs and such like I did, there's nothing wrong with starting out with a 10mm.

Now Im not advocating that this guy do it, just saying there's nothing wrong with it. And as far as only picking one caliber goes...it would DEFINITELY be 10mm for me, what other caliber is so versatile?