close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

My brother has a CPW permit

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by EAGLESFANPHILA, Jul 5, 2011.

1. Concealed Paper Weight permit. He's visiting from Florida, and informed me he doesn't carry with a round in the chamber. I told him he has nothing but an expensive paper weight on his hip if that's the case.

What do you think?

2. That paper weight you are describing can become pretty devastating in less than .5 seconds...if he has been practicing with it.

I myself have chosen to carry without one in the chamber. Why? Because I am more comfortable that way. Nothing anyone can say is gonna change my mind. I have weighed the options, and its what I believe is best for me.

If you wanna carry one in the chamber...thats fine, its your choice. Why not give your brother the same respect for his choice?

3. HotRoderX

HotRoderX Gen4 BETATester

Jan 15, 2011
    Trust me I seen videos of people carrying like that and they can chamber quicker then you can blink. Little practice makes perfect so if he feels safer with out one in the chamber then that's OK if he practices. Personally I have a phobia about chambered Glocks I know there safe I know they will not fire unless trigger is pulled. It don't mean a lick to me unless my Glock is pointed down range there is not a round in the chamber. I am not that way with any other gun, I have no issue with my 1911 cocked and locked.

4. paragon1

paragon1

Sep 18, 2009
    I don't understand why people who are not comfortable with one in the chamber don't carry a revolver, or a DA/SA hammer gun. I know it's possible to chamber one quickly, but what if you are having to fight off a guy with your weak hand. Or maybe you get stabbed in your weakside shoulder. You are turning a one handed weapon into a two handed weapon.

I know about the Isreali carry without one in the chamber, but that's a military/paramilitary type of carry. I bet the Mossad agent walking around the markets has one in the chamber.

5. paragon1

paragon1

Sep 18, 2009

If I had a phobia of a certain type of gun having a bullet in the chamber, you can bet the farm on me not having one.

6. btmar

btmar The Gun Photog

Feb 20, 2010
    Central Arkansas
    You're right, he should probably just leave it at home...

/s

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
  7. HotRoderX

HotRoderX Gen4 BETATester

Jan 15, 2011

I been trying to work on it because its really kinda stupid, but its the fact there is no safety on the gun to turn on or off that disturbs me

8. zigzagg321

zigzagg321 clever quip

Jul 21, 2010
    S Oh
    The whole "takes two hands to chamber" is what sells me on one in the pipe carry. I dont want to risk possibly not being able to chamber a round... and Im not worried that my G26 is magically going to go off unless the trigger is pulled.

9. EODLRD

EODLRD AF Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Washington
    Surprised I, nor anyone in my department or neighboring department, has shot their jewels off. Why didn't anyone tell me carrying a Glock with a round in the chamber was dangerous?

:)

10. MadMonkey

MadMonkey Spershul Furces

Aug 18, 2010
    TX
    Takes only one hand for me, if needed :wavey:

11. The military ordered that their men on ships at Norfolk had to not chamber a round after too many negligent discharges.

There are different viewpoints on one in the pipe and it could go either way in reality because most people, even police, rarely shoot their guns in self defense. It is just the sight of the gun that makes people run. I have seen people chamber a round pretty darn fast but it also depends on the weapon involved.

12. Common sense must prevail here. The odds of you being killed because you didn't have on in the chamber are far less than you being killed because you did have one in the chamber and had a negligible discharge.

I think too many people underestimate the gun and overestimate their abilities and how safe they are.

I don't carry with one in the chamber because I don't feel comfortable that way. To me one in the chamber means that round WILL be fired.

13. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    Bingo..

"I trust it enough to go bang every time I pull the trigger, but I don't trust it enough to not go bang when I don't pull the trigger"..

What was it Joker said?

"Sir, I believe I was trying to suggest something about the Duality of Man, Sir"

10 camel hairs to whoever knows what movie that came from.. :)

IGF

14. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    I disagree completely.

15. emopunker2004

emopunker2004 Da Jaila'

Apr 17, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    +1...

16. aeroengr

aeroengr

Apr 4, 2010
    TX
    Common sense would tell you that your metric varies largely dependent upon the situation. I'd like to see you find a relevant study that statistically proves your "common sense" theory though.

Common sense really says: The trigger doesn't magically pull itself, and if your gun is properly secured in a holster with a trigger cover, the trigger will not depress itself nor will the gun fall and hit the ground and discharge.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
  17. Sheepdog Scout

Sheepdog Scout Behind you!

Jan 23, 2010
    Who knows?
    Full Metal Jacket.

I expect my camel hairs by Friday.

18. boomhower

boomhower

Feb 14, 2010
    North Carolina
    Full metal jacket.

One in the pipe for me. The quickness most self defense scenerios occur in isn't exactly leasurely. I'll take the speed of a chambered round. If no safety bothers you, why did you by a carry gun without one?

19. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg BTF Inventor

Jun 14, 2002
    Permittees are likely to live a full and natural life and never need a gun, much less with a chambered round, to defend themselves. While I would never carry unchambered, there's nothing wrong with someone choosing to do so. He has the option of chambering, versus someone with a paperweight who has no option whatsoever. There are plenty of permit holders who are probably better off carrying unchambered.