close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

My article on revolver speedloaders for CCW

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Trebor, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Trebor

Trebor

Jun 22, 2002
    Mich.
    Here's my latest Michigan Firearms Examiner article talking about the two most common speedloader types and their uses for CCW.

A review of revolver speedloaders for CCW permit holders

"Anyone who uses a revolver for self-defense knows that the main disadvantage of the wheel gun is its low ammo capacity. A related issue is that reloading a revolver, especially with loose rounds, is slower than reloading a semi-auto pistol.

The best way to reload a defensive revolver is with a speedloader. A speedloader allows the shooter to reload the whole cylinder at once instead of filling each chamber individually. With a speedloader a well-practiced revolver shooter can reload almost as quickly as someone using a semi-auto.

HKS and Safariland make the two main speedloader types commonly available. In this article I’ll take a look at both types from a self-defense standpoint. Competition speedloaders will be discussed in a future article."

2. fastbolt

fastbolt

Jun 9, 2002
    CA Central Coast
    Nicely concise and straightforward. Features of both designs and considerations in using them were covered well.

I still use both, myself.

3. Thx-1138

Thx-1138 NRA Member

Jul 27, 2007
    North Carolina
    Very cool. Will you be including speed strips in your next writeup?

4. I prefer Bianchi speed strips as they conceal much easier. I live in South Florida and dress like it's summer for 8 months a year. What I need is something I can easily hide in a pocket. When I carry my LCR (5-shot) I carry two 6-shot speed strips. I'll admit I'm not well practiced in reloading with them quickly but I hope if I ever have to use the gun for SD I'll follow the usual 1 to 3 shots for every confrontation. Wishful/hopeful thinking I know.

5. VinnieD

VinnieD

Mar 26, 2011
    I carry two speedloaders myself. I seriously doubt I'd ever need that many rounds especially since I also carry two revolvers, but the carrier comes with two pouches and easily mounts to my shoulder rig for my primary, so why not. They aren't really all that bulky, and seriously speed up reloading speed. In fact I can reload faster with speedloaders than my semi-auto shooting best friend can with magaznes (though I have had more practice).

Masaad Ayoob has some very good videos on quickly reloading with speedloaders that helped a lot. It's also handy to train to reload with your offhand. It's slightly slower since you aren't stabilizing the cylinder as much, but it gives you more options, such as if you don't want to take the gun out of your firing hand, or you've fired enough hot rounds that the cylinder is becoming too hot to handle directly.

I've gotten so used to speedloaders now that I'm a little clumsy loading rounds one by one now. As far as I'm concerned the speedloader is to a revolver as a magazine is to a semi. They're part of one package.

6. wjv

wjv

Jan 17, 2002
    Pacific NW
    Do the same with my 442

I'm pretty good at loading 2 rounds at a time (2+2+1) instead of 1+1+1+1+1.

7. My department only allowed the Safarriland but I always carried a Speed strip plus the 2 relaoders.

8. robhic

robhic WOLVERINE!!!! Platinum Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Louisiana
    Good piece and fairly written. I, too, use both type speed loaders. My only suggestion would be to make a recommendation for the book "The Snubbie Revolver" by Ed Lovette. A great resource on guns and speed loaders also recommended by Mas Ayoob.

9. Jack23

Jack23 I. B. Glockin'

Feb 10, 2005
    Deer Park, Texas
    Check out these beauties! http://www.5starfirearms.com/speed_loaders.html

I currently have two of the HKS speed loader for the Ruger SP101 and 2 for the S&W 24-3. They are alright but if I ever seen any of 5star brand I'll be upgrading my speed loaders.

10. Tiro Fijo

Tiro Fijo

May 31, 2011
  12. eracer

eracer Where's my EBT?

Apr 5, 2011
    Tampa, FL
    I carry two 5-Star speedloaders for my LCR.

Beautiful, milled billet aircraft aluminum works of arts, IMHO.

13. KentuckyPatriot

KentuckyPatriot Photojournalist

Aug 30, 2010
    Kentucky
    Speedstrips have their place not only in being easier to conceal or pocket, but also for a revolver tactical reload.

you cannot fill single chambers with a speed loader...it is all or none.

By carrying a speed strip you can top off if the need arises.

14. eracer

eracer Where's my EBT?

Apr 5, 2011
    Tampa, FL
    A quick tap of the ejector rod solves that problem.

Now, not having experience with speed strips I can't say whether the time saved when using a speedloader (is it faster than a speed strip reload?) overcomes the disadvantage of dumping precious rounds on the ground.

Not a real problem with a tactical reload in a pistol, as it would be much faster to recover and use a partially-loaded magazine, than loose rounds on the ground

Last edited: Oct 3, 2012