close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

My 1911 Centennial Celebration

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by seanmac45, Dec 31, 2011.

1. seanmac45

seanmac45 CLM

Apr 13, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    In the beginning of the year I decided to purchase a Colt Gunsite Pistol for the centennial anniversary. Took delivery in early March and brought it to the range for first shots on March 29th, the date of acceptance of the 1911 as the standard U.S. service pistol. Two of the range officers present fired the piece at my invitation. Neither had ever fired a 1911 before and they were both thrilled with the weapon and the historical significance of the date. It was a great way to celebrate the anniversary.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Gunsite Colt was attractive to me in that it is current production, has no firing pin safety and reminds me of my trip to Gunsite 19 years ago. It has been a flawless performer so far and makes a nice addition to the collection.

[​IMG]

Next up, in August I picked up a Talo Edition Colt Wiley Clapp Commander. It is my only lightweight 1911 and came with a short trigger and GI thumb safety, both of which I had changed out to my preferences. This pistol also possesses the attributes of being new Colt production with no infernal firing pin safety. It fits very well in the hand and is pleasurable to shoot even though it is an alloy framed weapon. It is not on the carry permit, but makes a great reserve in case there are any problems with my summer carry Kimber Compact Stainless.

[​IMG]

2. seanmac45

seanmac45 CLM

Apr 13, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    In August I attended the Vickers/ Hackathorn 1911 Centennial class in Marietta, Ohio. Present were Bill and Ryan Wilson and quite a few other Wilson employees as students in the course. Prior to meeting them I did not have much interest in acquiring a Wilson Combat pistol. However, after shooting and socializing with them it became apparent that as individuals and as a company they are fully invested in the quality of their product and take great pride in the production of fine 1911’s.
    During lunch breaks all of the Wilson staff put their pistols out on the line for other students to examine and shoot as much as they wanted. When I suggested they bring the weapons in under the overhead to get them out of the rain the rep replied “rain doesn’t bother our guns, they are built to shoot”. The tipping point for me was handling and firing one of their pistols and drawing a happy face on the target with it at 15 yards in a pouring rain.

[​IMG]

I placed my order for a CQB Elite upon my return home. The quoted delivery time put the acquisition estimate in February of 2012. As the 1911 gods would have it, the pistol was delivered to my dealer the day after my 50th birthday in December, thereby making it the final acquisition of my 1911 anniversary purchase efforts.

[​IMG]

The gun is gorgeous, and the fact that it has been custom built with every feature I want and none that I do not makes it just that more special. It shoots like a house on fire and I believe it will be my every day carry once it is on my permit. It is the crown jewel of my collection and is the definition of pride of ownership.

[​IMG]

Here you have it; the results of a year long celebration of one of the finest handheld fighting implements ever designed by man, that man being John Moses Browning. Hope you enjoyed the anniversary as much as I did.

[​IMG]

3. deadite

deadite Groovy.

Great looking 1911's!! Congrats!

I bought two 1911's this year...a COlt Delta Elite and a Dan Wesson CBOB in 10mm. :)

deadite

4. seanmac45

seanmac45 CLM

Apr 13, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    I'm suffering from a caliber inferiority complex now, LOL!

Last edited: Dec 31, 2011
  5. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Jun 19, 2008
    NW Ark.
  6. awpk03s

awpk03s

Apr 1, 2007
    Ohio
    That's a handsome trio of some fantastic weapons. Good story too - thanks for sharing!

7. R0CKETMAN

R0CKETMAN NRA MEMBER

Dec 19, 2007
    SECONUS in HARD TARGET
    Epic "1911" tribute year for sure. I like that Wilson

8. Two Guns

Two Guns VIP MEMBER

Nov 4, 2004
    NH
  9. No way could 2012 be better than that. Happy year and happy New Year!!!!!

10. seanmac45

seanmac45 CLM

Apr 13, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    Thank you all.

Let's hear/see what everyone purchased during the anniversary year! Could be a good thread...............

11. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Amarillo, Tx
    Nothing special, but still something.

[​IMG]

12. okie

okie GT Mayor

Oct 28, 2001
    Muskogee Ok.
  13. deadite

deadite Groovy.

I picked up one of those at the LGS and was impressed. They seem to be very solidly built guns and the trigger on the display model was VERY good.

Congrats!

deadite

14. ca survivor

ca survivor

Dec 25, 2011
    Florida
    nice 1911's a good way to celebrate the 100's, congrats and enjoy them

15. ca survivor

ca survivor

Dec 25, 2011
    Florida
    of course is special is yours and I like it too.....this is my 1911 there is many more......never mind....enjoy :wavey:

16. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oct 23, 2000
    California & New Mexico, US
    Seanmac45,

You need a Colt in .38 Super. That's all I'm gonna say about it!!!