close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

My 17 year old Golden Retriever

Discussion in 'OX & Alex Forum' started by HerrGlock, May 18, 2012.

1. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

Dec 28, 2000
    Goes to the vet for the last time today.

In 1995, during the Hillsville Flea Market and Gun Show one of the Cana Fire Department medics was driving around in a golf cart (this flea market is about 2 miles wide and 3 miles long) with a blonde fluff ball with black eyes and nose. We were taking a break from walking and I asked the guy, "Hey, if your dog needs pet I've got two sons who might be up for the job."

As he brought her over to meet the boys, the medic said, "Someone abandoned her about a month ago. She's had her shots, is spayed and loves people. We're actually trying to find her a home."

Uhhhtttt ohhhh, what did I just do?

So, short story, I ended up with a fluffy, 3 month old, dog, a leash, water dish and $20 to buy food with because I saw a critter dog and figured my boys might like to give her attention.

She can't stand up by herself any more if she's on the tile floor and she walks like a drunk because her legs don't work all that well. During the weekend of my last race instead of leaving her with mom I left her with the vet and asked the vet to give her a physical to see if it was all as bad as it seemed. It is.

Vet said she's never seen a 17 year old Golden before and it's obvious she's well taken care of so I got that to make me feel slightly better about this decision.

This sucks.

[​IMG]

2. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

Warm thoughts from the north.
    Our 4 legged friends are truly the best.
    They give unconditional love, and ask nothing in return.
    I had to recently put down my faithful companion due to cancer.

All the best

TBO

Sent from my mind using Tapatalk 2

3. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

Jun 5, 2010
    Times like this are tough, I hope you can take some comfort in remembering the many good memories that have been had with the dog. Best wishes to your family

:50cal:

4. fx77

fx77 CLM

Nov 23, 2008
    My last pup made it ot 14...I miss her every day

5. FL Airedale

FL Airedale Dog Breath

May 21, 2011
    North-Central Florida
    My heartfelt condolences.

We keep 4 dogs at a time and I've had to make that last trip to the vet many times. It's never easy.

The fact that your GR lived to 17 means you took very good care of her.

Rest assured that you are doing the kind thing.

6. Dinky

Dinky Numpty

May 22, 2003
    Not an easy thing.....good thoughts are on the way:crying:

7. My heart goes out to you. I had to put Dorie Dog down in February and have since adopted two more Basset Hounds. Rosie is crazy and Sarge is just plain perfect. I still miss my buddy and hope you are doing ok.

Last edited: May 18, 2012
  8. dango

dango

Jun 9, 2008
    You just made me cry , I don't like to cry , bad for the tuffer than nails image . Very , very sorry for your loss !

9. tous

tous GET A ROPE!

Jan 7, 2001
    Plano, Texas, Republic of
    My heartfelt condolences, amigo.
    Having lost many companions, I find comfort in remembering the years of joy they gave me when it is their time to pass on.

:hugs:

10. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

Apr 4, 2006
    minnesota
    I'm so sorry for you. I know what you are going through and nothing will make it easier.

It's such a privilege to have an animals devotion and affection and a tragedy to lose.

Just think how blessed you were for having the animal grace your household for as long as you had her. Love doesn't stop with her passing.

Bless you for being a good pack leader.

11. smokin762

smokin762

Apr 19, 2009
    Ohio
    It's a very sad time when this happens. Best wishes.

12. I had to put my dog to sleep on April 25th due to a very rapid illness. I had that dog for nearly eight years and she slept by my wife and I every night. I almost feel like I've lost one of my children. I know how you feel. Sorry to hear. Very tough. I'm tearing up as I write this.

13. SpectreRider

SpectreRider Armed Citizen

A selfish man would try to put it off. You made the kinder and more difficult choice.

I feel for your loss and respect your strength.

14. G19Tony

G19Tony Sneet CLM

Mar 7, 2005
    Las Vegas, NV
    Just saw this Dan. I'm sorry for your loss. :crying: 17 years. That's a good run. It sounds like she had a great home and a great life. :crying:

15. davsco

davsco

Feb 27, 2011

+100 been there done that, so sorry for you

16. harleygsb

harleygsb

May 18, 2012
    California
    So sorry to hear that. I had to do that with my 15 year old lab a year ago and it was the toughest thing I have ever done. I really feel for you. My condolences.

Harley

17. OSSI

OSSI Litter Kitty CLM

Mar 17, 2004
    Tasmania, Australia
    I know how you feel. Went through this 3 times myself.
    But it is the only right thing to do. The pain will eventually go. The memories stay for ever.
    Good vibes on the way Mate

18. 69stingray

69stingray 427 ci

Nov 10, 2007
    North Alabama
    :angel: sorry, been there myself not an easy thing to do even when you know you're doing the right thing...........

Ray