close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Muzzleloader twist rate?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by StockGlock23, Jan 16, 2007.

1. StockGlock23

StockGlock23 Hilarious!

Aug 10, 2004
    Bremen, IN
    I recently discovered that my .45 Encore had a 1:20 twist rate. What should I look for in bullet/sabot combos. I would really like to shoot .45gr SSTs but I am told that with the faster twist rate it may not be the best. I did a GT search and could not find any info. Thanks in advance!

2. IIRC,

1/66 or so twist rate is best for patched round balls.

1/48 is a compromise rate that will shoot both round balls and elongated bullets fairly well.

1/32-1/28 is for elongated full bore bullets

1/20 is for sabot's.

But that's a pretty generalized response.

Give the SST's a try and see how they shoot. You may be surprised.

3. right on , on what vafish stated but I would like to add , you have to buy a container of powder and bullets and try them out

4. StockGlock23

StockGlock23 Hilarious!

Aug 10, 2004
    Bremen, IN
    The powder I got. I was lucky enoughto get 2# of 777 for $30 from Wally World during their after season clearance. So The SSTs it will be. Thanks guys! I knew I could count on you guys.

5. method

method

Mar 27, 2002
    Cleveland, OH
    Buy a bunch of different projectiles, and see what your gun likes. Don't bother with round balls with that twist though.