close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

muzzleloader questions...sbots or powerbelts?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by dryfly, Oct 10, 2011.

1. dryfly

dryfly
    Expand Collapse
    Platinum Member

Hey gang I just bought a new 50 cal CVA Apex...A Very nice ML that can take interchangeable barrels.

Will be shooting Buckhorn 209.....

Should I go with Powerbelts or sabots?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. stooxie

stooxie
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Life Member

I'd like to know what others say as well. One thing I was thinking is that the PowerBelts are big bullets, 300 grains or more, which means they will travel slower. 240gr is already a pretty big pill for a whitetail so I figured I'd rather have the flatter trajectory and less required powder of the sabot.

-Stooxie

3. sourdough44

sourdough44
    Expand Collapse

I shoot a 250 grn SST(Shockwave) & use a CCIM primer for the B209. As usual shot placement is paramount.

4. yellolab

yellolab
    Expand Collapse

Depends on your bore ID. My encore does not group power belts well at all. On the other hand I get 2" groups with sabots.

kevin

5. Mongosafari

Mongosafari
    Expand Collapse
    El diablo verde

You'll have to try both to see which performs best in your rifle.
    I guess that doesn't help much...

I shoot patched ball in my Hawkens 58 caliber but it has the correct 1:60" twist for round ball and FFg. This front stuffer has cleanly harvested a few Whitetails and a whole mess of Feral Hogs.
    I also shoot a replica 1853 Enfield 58 caliber Rifled Musket and it needs Minie Ball 510 gr to perform at it's best with FFg.

6. noway

noway
    Expand Collapse

You have to go to the range and field them for yourself. I doubt you can get a honest answer on what's better in your gun

fwiw neither of my TCs current or past ( thunderhawk, omega or encore ) like powerbelts. I'm stilling using my tried and true 240 or 300grain XTP in the appropiate sabot with 120-130grains of loose powder.

Where the powerbelts shine at imho; easier to load for a coup de gras to finish an already down deer.

7. ctaggart

ctaggart
    Expand Collapse

I just shot a doe with the same bullet. Double lung and she piled up after 50 yards. I get good groups with them.

8. TScottW99

TScottW99
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Life Member

I shoot the Barnes 250 grain TEZ Spitfire. Shoots great with 115 grains of Blackhorn 209 in my rifle. The SST shoots great in another muzzleloader but I have had blood trail problems with that bullet.

9. Conan1

Conan1
    Expand Collapse

I'm new myself to muzzleloading so I found this video on CVA's site you might find very informative. I've already got the Triple 7 209's but I bought the sabot's and now I'm thinking about taking them back and going with the Powerbelts after watching these. I bought a T/C Black Diamond magnum w/209 breech plug and a CVA Staghorn magnum w/ musket cap, both used. B D has a scope and I've just put a scope on the CVA and a 209 breech plug.

http://www.cva.com/videos.php