close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Muzzle blast 14.5 vs.16 inch barrel

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by Econoglocker, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Econoglocker

Econoglocker

Jan 11, 2011
    So how much louder is the muzzle blast on a 14.5 inch barrel compared to a 16 inch? been thinking of building a 14.5 but some people have told me they are much louder. don't know if they meant with a muzzle brake though. in general are they comparable or are they completely different?

2. Foxtrotx1

Foxtrotx1

Jan 29, 2010
    Scottsdale AZ
    Noticeably louder. Not nearly as bad as a 7-12.5

3. Econoglocker

Econoglocker

Jan 11, 2011
    yeah, I hear(no pun intended) that those really short barrels can make your ears bleed

4. Bushflyr

Bushflyr ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ Millennium Member

Mar 17, 1999
    Western WA
    While there may be a noticeable difference when shooting identically equipped rifles side by side, your choice of muzzle device and ammo will make a much larger difference.

Don't let the noise factor sway your decision at all.

FWIW I don't notice all that much difference in the noise between my 14.9" with a Phantom and my 7.5" with a KX3. (I haven't shot them back to back) I can sure tell I wouldn't want to be in front of that shorty though. It actually echos off the 25 yard berm. Loudly.

5. Foxtrotx1

Foxtrotx1

Jan 29, 2010
    Scottsdale AZ
    The Kx3 puts it all forward right?

6. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Moderator Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Jan 16, 2001
    Buried in the X-files
    With an A2, no noticeable difference.

A KX3 is meant for 10" and shorter guns. Sticking one on a 14.5 will simply announce to the world you are an idiot.

7. Bushflyr

Bushflyr ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ Millennium Member

Mar 17, 1999
    Western WA
    Yes. But like Mr. Murphy said, it's meant for shortys.

I was just illustrating my point about muzzle thingys making a much bigger difference than barrel length, not recommending you put one on your rifle.

8. RMTactical

RMTactical www.AR15pro.net CLM

Oct 7, 2000
    Behind an AR-15
    I haven't noticed a huge difference personally.

9. I have a PLR with a 9.2in. it is much louder then anything else I have, 16/20

10. fuzzy03cls

fuzzy03cls

Jan 28, 2010
    Florida
    Noise difference? Don't know. I wear hearing protection. They all sound the same to me. I have both.

11. mjkeat

mjkeat

Jun 17, 2009
    Midwest
    As should everyone. Unless you're in the Mil. and want that $123 a month in exchange for your hearing.

I have both as well and dont notice any difference. Ive even asked people at the range and they dont report any difference either.

12. Alaskapopo

Alaskapopo NRA ENDOWMENT

Feb 6, 2000
    Alaska
    Given an the same muzzle device I can't tell a difference between the two.
    Pat

13. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Jan 20, 2004
    Alaska, again (for now)
    I can't tell an appreciable difference between the two.

13.7-20 inches are all fairly close as far as sound, your choice of flash hider/comp will have more effect than the barrel length change.

Below 13.7, you notice each inch or so quite a bit.

14. Econoglocker

Econoglocker

Jan 11, 2011
    Thanks everyone for your help. Hopefully in the future I will be able to pick up a lightweight 14.5 inch upper, since I want something light and handy but not deafening.

15. Mayhem like Me

Mayhem like Me Semper Paratus

Mar 13, 2001
    Not a chance
    Totally dependant on what muzzle device you are using..

Brakes are much louder than hiders for the shooter naked barrel even less noise to shooter.

The Noveske pig and a few others spare the shooter but send more blast downrange.

16. Eurodriver

Eurodriver

Sep 11, 2010
    I have shot at multiple ranges with sixty plus shooters shooting M16A4s (20") and M4s (14.5") and I notice zero difference. This is without hearing protection standing right in between both shooters. Of course both weapons have the A2 FH. I would think the difference from 16 to 14.5" would be nothing.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
  17. just a shooter

just a shooter

Feb 7, 2007
    well of course you don't hear a difference........you're already hearing impaired.:whistling:

18. G26man

G26man OBEY ME!

Jul 8, 2004
    NC
    Doesn't mean you're an idiot if you just want to throw the sound downrange. I use this levang comp on a 16" AR, makes shooting a more pleasant experience for me and my range neighbors and if God forbid I ever have to use it without hearing protection I'll be glad it's there.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 14, 2011