Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Mutt or Colt?

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by venenoindy, Dec 13, 2012.

1. venenoindy

Jul 13, 2004
    Some time ago I pick up a DD mod1 upper because I wanted a service grade rifle but unfortunately like we all know DD no longer sales lowers any more, I did completed the rifle with a S&W complete lower but when I finally put them together I realize that this set up is a lot heavier than I wanted. I'm thinking of selling it and getting a complete rifle, only based on reliability and quality the options are keeping my rifle or to get a Colt 6920 MOE (lighter rifle) what would be the smart thing to do?
  2. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    It's darn hard to beat a 6920.
    However, I would suggest selling the upper & get a light weight

3. K. Foster

K. Foster

Feb 19, 2002
    The cheaper choice would be selling your upper and buying one you want. But, you wouldn’t go wrong with a complete Colt.
  4. WayaX

WayaX Lifetime Member

Feb 27, 2007
    Honestly...go to the gym. I can't think of anything that DD makes that qualifies as "heavy".
  5. boomhower

Feb 14, 2010
    North Carolina
    What you have is just as reliable as a Colt. All of your reliability is in the upper assuming a moron didn't assemble the lower. A DD is just as good as the Colt.

I'm inclined to agree. You could go with a LW barrel and that would make it feel lighter as it takes weight of the end of the barrel. An MOE Colt will likely be a touch lighter than the DD you have but if you expect something significant your likely be disappointed. Head to a shop and fondle a Colt regular or MOE as they are going to be very very similar. Even Walmart regularly stocks the Colts now so it shouldn't be hard to do.
  6. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Louisville KY
    I own 5 AR's right now in various configurations and in two different calibers. Not one is a Colt. In the last 30 years I've owned three Colt rifles and have sold all three for various reasons. I don't miss any of them or regret selling them--not even a little.

Its not that they are a bad rifle--they are a very good rifle. But they don't come configured the way I want an AR, they are expensive, and I have the tools and experience to build as good a rifle to my own specs. I built all 5 of my guns from parts. I actually do not own a factory built gun.

If Colt is just a scratch that you have to itch then by all means buy the Colt. I've been there and done that a couple of times. But I no longer have that little voice in my head saying "maybe you should buy a Colt." Unfortunately now its saying crap like maybe you need to buy that Krieghoff double rifle in .470 Nitro express, or maybe you need to buy that Blaser F3 Sporting Clays O/U...

Crap...I'm so screwed.
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  7. mjkeat

Jun 17, 2009
    Lighter is better, I don't care how strong you are.

I wouldn't consider $1055 for a complete AR from a very consistent manufacturer expensive.

You're DD is a very nice AR. If you want lighter and Colt look at a 6720.
  8. mgs

mgs Always Carrying Millennium Member

Dec 21, 1998
    cogan station, pa, usa
    I own 6 AR's in different forms and two are Colts. They are no better than my other 4 which are better machined/finished lowers. You just have to build them with the right parts. The upper is the most critical for accuracy & reliability.
  9. WayaX

WayaX Lifetime Member

Feb 27, 2007
    Lighter is better, but if you're having trouble any basic rifle, A new rifle isn't going to solve your problems. Also, the 6920 MOE that the OP wants isn't the lighest configuration available. The 6720 is a much better choice, but you'd lose money in the swap, and not gain a lot.