Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Connect with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Read up on the latest product reviews
  • Make new friends to go shooting with!
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

Glock Talk is the #1 site to discuss the world’s most popular pistol, chat about firearms, accessories and more.

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by Branspop, Jan 11, 2004.

1. Branspop

Branspop Daddy X2 CLM

Jan 25, 2000
    In search of...
    What is the best mustard in your opinion?
  2. The Pontificator

The Pontificator Angry Samoan

Sep 18, 2000

3. Mild Bill

Mild Bill Millennium Member

Oct 18, 1999
    Tampa, Florida
    Most mustards are great... Even Dijonaisse is wonderful...
    I think that Grey Poupon is up there with the best...

Don't think it's an overly commercial "brand name"... they bought the rights (or something like that)
    to the classic authentic Dijon recipe and have held true to it.

Cooks Illustrated magazine recently did a mustard rating and I think Poupon came in second...

I think it's spectacular...

But even Gulden's spicy brown is great...

On cold days, we make big pots of Puchero... It's a one pot meal kinda thing...
    Hunks of beef, a few Chorizos, whole red potatoes, whole small onions, large chunks of celery and carrots...
    Salt and pepper... or sometimes some Goya chicken bouillion...

Simmered for 4 hours... The meat softens and is EXCELLENT with good mustard...
    Olive oil, salt and pepper for the other stuff...

It's a great meal!

Brisket chunks, shank meat with marrow bones, chuck roast, even corned beef... all are great for this thing...
  4. Mild Bill

Mild Bill Millennium Member

Oct 18, 1999
    Tampa, Florida
    I just found the magazine...
    Grey Poupon is "manufactured stateside by Nabisco in accordance with the original recipe from Dijon."

Which was #1 you asked?

ROLAND Extra Strong Dijon Mustard...
    An American brand manufactured in France...

It seems to have been slightly more horseradishy than the poup...

That tasting comparison was only done with Dijons...
  5. I personally think the British Elseham Traditional mustard is the best for simple marinades

Or the true "Dijon" known as "Maille" Honey Dijon. And yes it is made in france.;)
  6. Ah, a topic dear to my taste. Attached is a photo of the mustards and related sauce in my fridge at the moment.
    The Coleman's English mustard has the most heat.
    The Maille Dijon is one of my favorites.
    The two labeled sweet are nice with most things and the Maurice Original is a BBQ sauce which is mustard based. It is sweet from apple cider.
    One of my favorite food styles is French/German type pork dishes and the mustards complement them.
  7. Now "That's a lot of mustard"

I just took alook in my fridge and came up with only 4 brands

8. Branspop

Branspop Daddy X2 CLM

Jan 25, 2000
    In search of...

That sure is a lot of mustard....

Thanks for the replies. I have a recipe that calls for mustard, but the generic brand I used isn't quite good enough. I am looking for something good. The recipe calls for Dijon, but I may try to experiment.
  9. SMUNK

SMUNK Detached Member

Mar 15, 2003
    Santa Monica, PRK
    Grey Poupon is by far my favorite. I LOVE THAT STUFF!!! WOW!!

I am so glad I din't have to stop buying it since it's made in the U.S.A. ;f
  10. I know this is somewhat off-topic,but try using wasabi instead of mustard. That green stuff really clears your sinusses! A wasabi hotdog is pretty good - well, it's an acquired taste!
  11. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oct 23, 2000
    California & New Mexico, US
    I like an authentic Dijon mustard. The type that brings tears to my eys.:cool:
  12. Glockerel

Glockerel Got Mojo?

My favorite is a Jewish mustard called BA-TAMPTE.
    It's a delicatessen mustard that's made in Brooklyn. I found it at a local deli. It's slightly coarse grained, just spicy enough and makes corned beef sandwiches and hot dogs sing.
  13. hey I had that mustard before.

Another good kosher mustard is Inglehoffe ( sp??) it is hot and well season. Does wonders to Pastrami cuts.
  14. Phil306

Sep 13, 2003
    Dublin, California
    Coleman's English Mustard

;3 ;3 ;3
  15. Remander

Nov 9, 2002
    Zatarains's Creole Mustard is fantastic. I love Coleman's, Poupon, etc, too; each mustard has its place with particular dishes.

Zat's is brown and spicy with coarse bits of seed in it and is GREAT for a sandwich on dark bread or a po-boy with zip.
  16. harryrod

Oct 29, 2002
    I know I will probably be burned at the stake as a heretic for even mentioning this but here goes,

17. Branspop

Branspop Daddy X2 CLM

Jan 25, 2000
    In search of...
    OK, I picked up some Maille Dijon and am going to give that a try.
  18. jason10mm

jason10mm NRA-GOA-TSRA

Jan 27, 2001
    Clarksville, TN
    wow, great thread! I think mustard is highly underestimated by most americans (that thin yellow stuff...;0 ). I like mustard so laden with seeds that it comes out in chunks :) A little bit in a marinade adds a wonderful flavor to meat.
  19. Medford4

Medford4 Hired Gun

Nov 15, 2003
    I've always liked that mustard you find in Chinese restaurants that burn your nose so bad after you eat it that you're afraid to breathe. Do you know what I'm talking about? Where can I get some of that stuff, and what's it called?
  20. Branspop

Branspop Daddy X2 CLM

Jan 25, 2000
    In search of...
    Thanks, folks. I tried the Maille Dijon today and it was closer to what I was looking for. I may try something just a wee tad stronger to give it my own touch.