close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Must declare states

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Hdoc, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Hdoc

Hdoc

Mar 24, 2012
    Not talking about good policy here, but if you CC in any of the following states could you please sound off if you know:

If a routine traffic stop requires showing CC permit and declaring weapon in the car ( don't care if CC or locked and boxed)

Georgia
    South Carolina
    Virginia
    Maryland
    North Carolina
    Pennsylvania
    New York

As you can see I'm going from South to North following
    I-95/I-75/I-81. Some states I have a valid permit, some I'll
    have the weapons locked and unloaded, but I want to know if I'm stopped, do I need to declare possession or just
    shut the hell up....

Thanks

2. zbusdriver

zbusdriver

Jul 21, 2006
    se michigan
    see attachment

Attached Files:

3. JackMac

JackMac

Mar 13, 2011
    TX
    In NC, the first thing you do when approached is to notify the officer you have a cc permit and you have your weapon with you. Then follow the officer's instructions. He may require you to show your permit and drivers license or he may let you go without asking for it or he may even ask you to see your weapon and take temporary possession of it. Key is to notify the Officer FIRST THING and follow his or her instructions from that point on. NC requires you have your concealed carry permit and a photo ID when you carry.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  4. Hdoc

Hdoc

Mar 24, 2012
    Hey, thanks for that. I'm assuming that if I'm not CC but have weapons unloaded and under lock that I don't have to
    inform unless asked?

5. Hdoc

Hdoc

Mar 24, 2012
  6. Texas is a must declare state...although there is no punishment for not doing so. If you have a Tx CHL, they will know when they run your license. If one happens to have an out of state license...there is no way for them to know. :supergrin:

7. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

Jun 5, 2010
  8. DaneA

DaneA

Mar 7, 2011
    Chattanooga
    handguncarrylaw.us

Bookmark it on your computer, phone, and any place else you play on the net. Great site to help answer most questions about carrying in other states.

9. wrenrj1

wrenrj1

May 22, 2002
    Huskerville
    My recommendation:

go to www.handgunlaw.us. Review and print off every state's information you will be traveling to/through and put it in a three ring binder and take it with you.

To be safe IMHO, always disclose that you are a CCW permit holder, present your permit, and that you are carrying.

10. kensteele

kensteele

Aug 3, 2003
    Leawood, KS
    For most people, I would say when outside your own home state, go ahead and declare to be on the safe side.

11. HarleyGuy

HarleyGuy

Mar 29, 2008
    Michigan for sure.

We had one case where the CPL holder was charged AND convicted for failure to notify.
    He reached the officer his D/L and CPL and notified the office that he was carrying within 40 seconds after the officer had arrived at his window.:faint:

12. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

Jan 26, 2001
    follow the laws of the state youre in.

having said that, if youre in a non declairing state and there is a low chance of your gun being "found out", some will say stay quiet about it, but if there is a chance of it being "found out", i say its best to not suprise a cop and declair it at the begining.

you really have to know the laws of the state youre in, and for God's sake, if you go somewhere with an attention whore on youtube attitude, you'll most likely need bail money.

13. NC Bullseye

NC Bullseye

Aug 14, 2006
    Foothills
    In NC, as long as your handguns are locked up and not within reach of you or other passengers you are no longer carrying concealed. That being said the only time you need to notify is when you are carrying concealed. You have no duty to inform that you have a permit if you are not carrying a concealed handgun.

NC laws do not differentiate between loaded and unloaded but when or if it ever was questioned, unloaded would probably be in your favor.

Just make SURE they are not accessible to yourself or PASSENGERS in NC and you have no need to disclose.

You have no obligation to disclose your status of having a concealed carry permit but there are no laws on informing when not required and as many over time have testified to, they don't usually get hassled for notifying when not required and it may get you some leeway granted since they know you're not trying to hide things.

You choose.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  14. Booker

Booker

May 10, 2006
    Prison
    That map has some errors on it! Be careful!

ie. Colorado. If traveling with a cwp and asked by leo, then you must inform.

If traveling without a cwp but still legally carrying concealed in your car, you don't have to inform if asked!

15. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster Millennium Member

Sep 24, 1999
    Hartford, Vermont
  16. ADK_40GLKr

ADK_40GLKr Adirondacker with a Glock

Nov 14, 2010
    RFD NY Adks
    New York is NOT a must declare state.

However NY does not honor anyone else's permits either.

Lock your gun in the trunk with ammo locked elsewhere if you're just "passin through"!

See: http://www.handgunlaw.us/

17. ADK_40GLKr

ADK_40GLKr Adirondacker with a Glock

Nov 14, 2010
    RFD NY Adks
    I can carry in your state, but you can't carry in MINE! :tongueout:

:wavey:

18. LongGoneDays

LongGoneDays Misanthropical

Nov 12, 2005
    Louisiana
    FYI: do not conceal carry in NYC

19. B.A.Waldrop

B.A.Waldrop

Dec 31, 2011
    Georgia you don't have to declare. I have not had any negative encounters with the local Leo's
    Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

20. DaneA

DaneA

Mar 7, 2011
    Chattanooga
    Fixed it for you