close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Multi-Tools...

Discussion in 'The Cutting Edge' started by deputy tom, Aug 4, 2013.

1. GunHo198

GunHo198
    Expand Collapse

I was comparing my leather man wave to my Gerber and some of the other model leather mans., Yes the Wave has a lot more tools for the money. Can't remember what I paid for it. But it's a good tool. Maybe I'll price out the SOG for my oldest son. I'm going to start working on a pack for him for Christmas.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Bren

Bren
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Life Member

My impression is that you also get better steel in Leatherman tools - less bending, better edge holding, etc.

#62 Bren, Sep 17, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  3. GunHo198

GunHo198
    Expand Collapse

I'm not sure about better steel. I do like the fact that the Leathernan pliers won't close and pinch your hand like my old Gerber does. However there seems to be a big price difference between the two brands on eBay. The Leathermans are at least $20 more. Even at Walmart the Leatherman Wave is $73.00. I have one and its a great tool. But there warrantee is only 25 years compared to a Lifetime with Gerber.

The Gerber I just sent in for repair is over 25 years old. So I'm still on the fence as to what tool my son will be getting for Christmas.

4. GunHo198

GunHo198
    Expand Collapse

**UPDATE**

Two weeks later Gerber sent me a brand new Model 600 Multi tool no questions asked.

I think both tools are great. If you shop right you can get a great tool for a good price. But the Gerber warranty is priceless.

[​IMG]

FYI I did buy my son the Leatherman Wave for his birthday. So the New Gerber is an extra bonus at the moment.

I sat the tools side by side, and thought; If the SHTF the warranties on these would be worthless as there wouldn't be anyway to send them back. So which tool would I want then.?

Looking at both, I really can't say one is better than the other. Both have there strong points and weaknesses.

I'll post up some In depth photos of what I mean. Then you guys can judge.

#64 GunHo198, Oct 3, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
  5. deputy tom

deputy tom
    Expand Collapse

Excellent! tom.

6. Dirk Pitt

Dirk Pitt
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

What he said above, did not get mine from smoky mountain, but got one for myself and my son who is in USMC infantry. Out of all the ones I gave looked at and messed with its the best by far.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

7. Leigh

Leigh
    Expand Collapse

Having owned many multi-tools over the last 20 years, I have found Leatherman and Victorinox to be superior to most.

I once broke the plier blade/head off a Gerber (USA made) while bending and removing wire (coathanger-thickness) from the tracks of a snowmobile in the middle of nowhere. Had the wire been wrapped around my leg, all the "lifetime warranties" in the world wouldn't mean jack.

Gerber happily replaced the tool for free (it was a discontinued model) but I lost enough fatih in it to gift it away to my teenage son. If a tool doesn't work as expected, it's gone.

Leatherman may be endorsed by "Commies" but Gerber's lower-end multi-tools are certainly made by them.

No experience with SOG but a friend uses his hard and swears by it.

Victorinox (while heavier than many) ooze quality construction and open and close tighter than a bank vault.

Stick with Leatherman and Victorinox and you can't go wrong.

#67 Leigh, Oct 5, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
  8. Leigh

Leigh
    Expand Collapse

Oh, and avoid anything made by (or marked) Coast, Schrade, Stanley, Columbia (yeah, the clothing manufacturer) or Winchester. They are ALL junk and should be avoided.

Also, check out Leatherman's "Sidekick." Somewhat entry-level but it has all the stuff I need and nothing I don't. Priced around $30. Their knife/saw blades lock, the others do not. Both the short serrated blade and main blade come razor-sharp.
    The pliers are spring-loaded (no pinching) and it features a pocket clip.
    For the asking price, it is a real bargain.

9. deputy tom

deputy tom
    Expand Collapse

I must agree on avoiding items from Coast, Schrade, Stanley, Columbia and Winchester. I got a package of Winchester marked knives and multi-tools as a gift. I re-gifted to my daughters friend and within a week several items including the pliers were broke. I felt like a jerk. I went out and bought the kid a name brand tool. tom.:embarassed:

10. FireForged

FireForged
    Expand Collapse
    Millenium #3936
    Millennium Member

Leatherman Squirt... heck with anything larger than that.