close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

MSLinux- HOWTO run a stable enviroment in an unstable one!

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by lomfs24, Oct 30, 2004.

1. David_G17

David_G17 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Oct 7, 2002
  2. saber41

saber41 Guest

As the title bar says from the pic, that is Microsoft Virtual PC 2004.
    It actually works pretty good. I have several flavors on linux installed on VPC on my WinXP machine.

Check it out, you can get a free 45 day trial of the software from here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtualpc/default.mspx

3. 0100010

0100010 Millennium Member

Sep 15, 1999
    DFW
    Yup MS bought Connectix and then re-released Virtual PC under their own name - it works very well. I use it at work on all of the lab PCs so my agents can pull up any OS their customers have - in case they forget them.

4. NGWT

NGWT

Jun 7, 2003
    FL
    Anybody know if it comes with the MSDN?

5. metallic

metallic

Jul 20, 2004
    Louisiana
    I have access to it through Academic MSDN, so I would assume so.

6. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Mar 28, 2001
    SW Oregon
    Yes, but do you have the same control over diskwriting and other permissions?

Can these virual OSes be hardened from SSH and other exploits like a properly set-up Debian or Slackware install can be?

I doubt that...but until I have all the data to peruse I won't rule it out.

I'll just stick with my separate / and /home partitions for now...;)

What is the biggest advantage to this? I mean, it sounds like you are basically polluting a good Linux kernel by possibly running it in an unsecure environment full of viruses and assorted other malware, not to mention a system afloat in security holes...

Would this be a detriment to XP in any way? After all, the XP OS is fairly easy to comandeer, and an unsecured Linux kernel can be just as shaky from a security standpoint...

Though I might try setting up a virtual Smooth Wall OS to access the Web on an otherwise XP box, then route the XP's TCP connection to see the ports I have filtered but left open in SW...seems like that might be a good use for this sort of thing.

Until then I'll stick to my standalone SW firewall.

Thanks in advance,

FastVFR, The Skeptical Kernelhacker

7. lomfs24

lomfs24

Apr 19, 2003
    Montana
    fastfvr, you raise some good questions. However, I thought it was kinda cool, unique etc... Other than what one poster said about running several OS's for tech support so that tech could see what the customer is seeing, I cannot think of a single real world application that you would need it or want it.

Why would I take a machine, load windows on it, and then run a virtual PC with Linux. I can't think of a real world application for it. Other than for brief testing etc...

Just kinda fun for me to play with.

8. 0100010

0100010 Millennium Member

Sep 15, 1999
    DFW
    Yes - full version is available through MSDN.