close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

MS XP Asking for password

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by rhedley, Jul 29, 2008.

1. rhedley

rhedley POCKET HOLSTERS

Aug 19, 2001
    WINTER HAVEN, FL., USA
    I don't have password, so I check OK, Windows proceeds to open. How can I get rid of this useless step ?

2. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    Its under user settings I think... Something like Start/Control Panel/Users or something like that

IGF

3. Sgt. Schultz

Sgt. Schultz Annoying Member

Go to Start - Run type "control userpasswords2" w/o quotes press enter, Clear the check box for Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer, and then click Apply.

4. rhedley

rhedley POCKET HOLSTERS

Aug 19, 2001
    WINTER HAVEN, FL., USA
    Sgt. Schultz

I did as you said, I think, but now I get message saying I can't get in for some password conflict.

To review:

I went to
    Start
    Run
    typed in 'user passwords2' w/o quotes
    Cleared the box you refered to
    clicked 'apply'

Edited to add, I see my error now, I did a system restore, so I'm back in, will try again...

5. rhedley

rhedley POCKET HOLSTERS

Aug 19, 2001
    WINTER HAVEN, FL., USA
    Tryed again, same results, MS insists on a password, so I typed in 'owner' as the was there already as 'user name'. Same results, I'm locked out.
    Do another systems restore, I'm back in.

Any other thoughts?

6. Jtemple

Jtemple Geek

Jan 13, 2002
    NE
  7. rhedley

rhedley POCKET HOLSTERS

Aug 19, 2001
    WINTER HAVEN, FL., USA
    Jtemple

This thing is like MS messenger, very tough to get rid of!! I did as you suggested, Same results as before. program asks for password then confirm, Should I just disregard the password request,

8. Sgt. Schultz

Yes leave it blank

9. rhedley

rhedley POCKET HOLSTERS

Aug 19, 2001
    WINTER HAVEN, FL., USA
    Ok, I get past the Password window, but must click on it, BUT it's still there, I would like it if it was gone and Windows can go ahead and open my Email program in the morning, while I get my coffee.

10. Sgt. Schultz

Don't know what to tell you, I just tried my original post (control userpasswords2) on an XP machine twice ... using both the Welcome screen and standard login and I was able to turn it off and back on.

11. rhedley

rhedley POCKET HOLSTERS

Aug 19, 2001
    WINTER HAVEN, FL., USA
    Thank Guys, I'll have to put up with it.

At least I can get in.

Thanks again.......

12. cgwahl

cgwahl Sheriffs a near

Feb 15, 2002
    CA
    There is a chance you have something installed that requires you to login (even with no password).

Although I think it usually grays out the options. It does in my case at least. May even be worth trying this logged in as administrator to see if you get better results.

13. rhedley

rhedley POCKET HOLSTERS

Aug 19, 2001
    WINTER HAVEN, FL., USA
    Sgt. Schultz

One more try, I have gone to the tweak login, and the control passwords2 ways [ both same place] Can either you or Jtemple tell me, when I am at the place to uncheck box and click Apply, what turns the window OFF, it shows User name as owner and asks for password I just must click in password area, and Windows continues to open.

Driving me nuts!!

14. Sgt. Schultz

Things that make you go hmm ...

Why not try creating a totally new user, do not require a password and see what happens.

15. Sgt. Schultz

16. rhedley

rhedley POCKET HOLSTERS

Aug 19, 2001
    WINTER HAVEN, FL., USA
    The passwordv requirement is gone, but the Login Screen remains, and requires a click on OK to continue to open Windows.

???

17. Sgt. Schultz

Just did this ...

Go to Start - Run type "control userpasswords2" w/o quotes press enter, Clear the check box for Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer, and then click Apply.it

... again to a different user and the login box disappeared, don't know what else to tell you.

18. havensal

havensal Nozzle Jockey CLM

Aug 14, 2003
    Western, NY
    Ok, this is a long shot, but try it.

Control panel-users-change the way users sign in

Uncheck the "use welcome screen" option.

Is this what you're referring to? :dunno: